User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Imagination & Personality Types

My imagination was so strong as a child that I could hear and see things and people that no one else could and I didn't know what was real and what was not because they were all three dimensional. Having said that, my earliest memory is looking through the bars of my crib, watching my mom change my newborn sister's diaper. My granny was there and they were talking but I didn't understand their words. I remember looking out the window and seeing an irrate scent creature. It was the first of many creatures I would see. I was nine years old before I realized the creatures weren't real and when I told myself they weren't real, I stopped seeing them with my eyes, but in my imagination, they stayed. I created worlds, characters, societies and languages, even as a child. I can't imagine living only in "this" world.

*i was seventeen months old.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

937 sp/sx

From what I've observed both in real life and on here, INFJs, INFPs, and ENFPs tend to have the richest symbolic and artistic imaginations. At the very least, they seem the best at vividly describing their imaginative ideas.
    “If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.” - Hermann Hesse

5w4 sx/sp
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    Hey, I was just wondering how different types use their imagination, so if you feel the urge to share, then go for it! This includes all types whether MBTI, Enneagram, etc.

Most of my experience is with NF artist types, so I've encountered some rather extreme forms of imagination.

I have known and loved many different NF artists and have recently been reflecting on how different various types of imagination can be. I recently went to visit my sister (INFP) and she told me about a story she is writing that is based on a completely imaginary world with complexity, back-story, original languages, entire societal dynamics, character development, etc. I was struck by the specificity and complexity of her imaginative process and thought through other friends I know who develop these complex and specific stories.

I'm an INFJ, and it occurred to me that I've never imagined a story like that, and yet I'm continually lost in the abstract world and imagination. My imaginative process tends to be based on many levels of abstraction from reality, but there is always some core component tied to reality. I can create my own little worlds when lonely in a crowd by playing out a story in my mind that I'm on an adventurous mission while walking alone in a crowd, or when alone in nature I can literally hear the trees sing, but it is the actual trees I'm seeing and feeling. I compose music and poetry and love symbolic, subjective, distilled communication about reality. I love to recreate the visceral experience of one person to be felt by another. I composed music for a story about a woman who went through complex psychological pain and wanted to recreate her pain so vividly that a listener's empathy is triggered, and yet I didn't write the story itself, but tried to tie it back to reality.

I'm also familiar with ENFP imagination which can go with the flow in improvisation and find connections between any two random things. I have an ENFP teacher friend who makes up games that can involve music, helicopters, and muskrats, and somehow it all makes sense.

I'm thinking that there could be different sorts of imagination within each type, but could there be tendencies based on each category? Any discussion about this would be really interesting to see if there are any patterns or not.
    Imagination is a feature of inner perception. So none of the judging functions have imagination in the normal sense. Ne and Se imagine possibilities. Ne imagination forms connections between ideas, Se imagination forms connections between concretes. Ni and Si imagine realities. Ni realities are conceptual in nature, Si realities are concrete in nature.
    "I absorb energy like a sponge everywhere I go. It allows me to see the world and my purpose in it." Zak Bagans, Ghost Adventures (INFJ)