User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Evolutionary role of anger.

Level 8 Scumlord Array SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    642 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    My opinion is that anger is most useful when protecting someone or something you love. Although, I think in his case it was more instinctual than emotional, I feel like it comes from the same place.

I do agree that in a modern, highly connected world, where real threats are more accidental and structural in nature rather than intentional things coming from individuals (though there are still plenty of cases). The impulses of anger can be misplaced.

The times I have felt anger to be most useful is when I have had to defend my friends, or myself. It has been a long time since I have needed to use it in physical confrontation.

One other use, I think, is as a marker for ourselves. I believe, the things we get angry at are things we feel threaten what is important to us.

I have recently had a string of times when I have gotten angry in ways that surprised myself. Although, the results of me not controlling my temper were not good, I did find out a little bit more about what I valued and wanted to protect.

Edit: I definitely seem to get consistently irate when I perceive people are being picked on. My perceptions can be wrong, and I have a bit of a hair trigger on this. But it comes from someplace that is deeply ingrained in my experiences.
    Anger is useful and sometimes necessary. It allows us to focus our energies more efficiently at the object of our anger. This can lead to violence, which is just a bargaining tool to get what we want. Amygdala hijacks can be controlled and managed with practice though.

Us humans are running around with hard wiring that hasn't had a patch/upgrade in at 10k years and although our brains continue to evolve, the first in, last out rule that our brain structure is built on pretty much rules out the amygdala going anywhere anytime soon. We're pretty much stuck with our lizard brain.

How Has the Human Brain Evolved? - Scientific American
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

1w2 sp/so
    SLE Se

I wonder if it would be possible (via anthropology or something along those lines) to determine if a type of emotion is no longer present in humans. I don't believe it is something that just goes away, or goes away quickly. Also considering that humans have not been around for very long to evolve, it's makes sense that things in that respect would remain the same.

We could also compare emotions to animals as well, since they do exibit them. It seems like they are more or less universal across many species only varying in complexity. Like many emotions, they have a good side and a bad side to them, either bringing great prosper or great destruction depending on the circumstances they appear under. For that reason, I don't think they'll ever naturally be gone.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

girl with a pretty smile Array Honor's Avatar
    1w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata View Post
    We must be notified of being wronged, how we must be notified of experiencing harm - pain. Though, a simple flag is not enough - being cognizant of a fact is not enough. A creature would easily forgo their future-state in favor of the gratification awarded here and now through simple ignorance, the way raccoons won't let go of coins despite their balled fist being the reason they can't pull their hand out of the hole it fit through just moments before. There must be a driving force that ensures culpability beyond the mere act of realization - whence, the emotions are born.
    This is a smart post, and I wager this is correct.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

729 sx/sp
    IEE Ne

Anger, like all emotions, is potential energy. Anger wielded wisely can be strong and good. Anger when left to consume the self takes control and can be very destructive. This leaves the individual who mindfully wields anger to do harm guilty in a distinct way from the one who is consumed with rage.

@hel I believe fear and anger are very closely related.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Google "chemtrails" Array Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    359 sp/so
    LIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by hel View Post
    Yes, but the instinctual reaction to harm isn't anger, it's fear.
    Though anger is often referred to as a secondary emotion, arising from fear or hurt. Anger serves as psychological protection against fear.

It's an instinctual reaction to an instinctual reaction to harm, really.

Also relevant to @five sounds, looks like
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

Default Kicking the Dog

Anger is a result of frustration.

So anger can take us through a particular frustration, the danger arises when anger is not a result of a particular frustration, but become generalised anger. So we have anger out of control.

Another danger is loss of impulse control of anger. And then we again loose control of our anger, and we are unable to overcome our particular frustration. We can loose the ability to direct our anger at a particular target and aim for the wrong target, like kicking the dog.
    There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing.
    Click on

And to understand the internet click on

Enter the Maelstrom with Marshall McLuhan by clicking on