123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default Why Do We Assume Ugly People Are Good?

There is no great equalizer in the sky who makes all ugly people nice and pitiable, and makes all beautiful people internal monsters...in fact in some cases outer neglect of the body reflects inner pathology just as surely as compulsive plastic surgery could. No one defends frat douches and party bros as just being "awkward" if they treat women like less than human, but it's totes ok for unattractive guys to do it because they get some free pass?

Neckbeard thread made me realize what we were actually mocking is not obesity or hairstyles but a modern day composite of a male cerebral narcissist (and the one female gamer chick). But some people presume ugly deserves automatic pity just as much as others automatically presume it deserves scorn.

I mean if you are going to pity cerebral narcissists it's not really fair to treat somatic narcissistic personality disorder with scorn. I think this bias is unhealthy, as some one who has loved someone who is a somatic narcissist, I think it's likely that they get all of the abuse, and cerebral narcissists get unwarranted pity because they don't come equipped with pretty faces or superficial charm. Cerebral narcissists are just as unempathetic and therefore emotionally dangerous, so really you need to be wary of both, and if you pity one, pity the other.

Looks don't mean this or that either way, you really have to know a person otherwise you go around thinking everyone is better or worse than they are. Some people have a bias towards beauty, but frankly other people have a bias towards ugly.

"We" do? I don't.

Is this guy ugly?

What do you think he did when he grew up?

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Just world fallacy, all the way. Perception is that it isn't "fair" if someone has absolutely nothing going for them; so ugly people must be able to compensate for their ugliness in some other way.

I might have to skim through that other thread.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I'm not so sure if the general population assumes that ugly individuals are inherently good. By my gut I'd actually guess the opposite. Depends on how you look at it. Generally speaking it seems like attractive individuals are treated better than unattractive individuals.

It could be though, I am not aware of any studies that were done on this, and at the moment I don't have the energy to look into it. If there has it would be interesting to see. I do know there have been tons of studies that equate looks and related things to behaviors, lifestyles, etc. and from this a meta study could effectively be done to determine what apperances equate to assumptions of who they are.

With me at least though, I don't assume ugly indivduals are good or bad. I haven't see a pattern with it anyway.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

@Hard http://www.hofstra.edu/pdf/orsp_shah...g_spring03.pdf

Attractive people get hired more often, which shouldn't surprise anybody. This is only one example.

I am yet to meet anybody who has a bias towards physically unattractive individuals; it is counterintuitive. People instinctively want the best genetic makeup for their offspring and physical appearance is an indicator of health.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    "We" do? I don't.

Is this guy ugly?

What do you think he did when he grew up?
    That is Andrew Cunanan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    There is no great equalizer in the sky who makes all ugly people nice and pitiable, and makes all beautiful people internal monsters...in fact in some cases outer neglect of the body reflects inner pathology just as surely as compulsive plastic surgery could. No one defends frat douches and party bros as just being "awkward" if they treat women like less than human, but it's totes ok for unattractive guys to do it because they get some free pass?

Neckbeard thread made me realize what we were actually mocking is not obesity or hairstyles but a modern day composite of a male cerebral narcissist (and the one female gamer chick). But some people presume ugly deserves automatic pity just as much as others automatically presume it deserves scorn.

I mean if you are going to pity cerebral narcissists it's not really fair to treat somatic narcissistic personality disorder with scorn. I think this bias is unhealthy, as some one who has loved someone who is a somatic narcissist, I think it's likely that they get all of the abuse, and cerebral narcissists get unwarranted pity because they don't come equipped with pretty faces or superficial charm. Cerebral narcissists are just as unempathetic and therefore emotionally dangerous, so really you need to be wary of both, and if you pity one, pity the other.

Looks don't mean this or that either way, you really have to know a person otherwise you go around thinking everyone is better or worse than they are. Some people have a bias towards beauty, but frankly other people have a bias towards ugly.
    The thing is, regarding the neckbeard stereotype, if a guy is overweight, has a "neckbeard" or even just a beard, and wears a fedora, he's going to get labeled a neckbeard whether he has any narcissistic tendencies or not. Even if he's not overweight or has no beard, but wears a fedora, he'll probably get labeled the same.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume the guys in those memes are even necessarily narcissists. They could be...or they might just be jaded. In some cases, they were simply using cheesy poetic lines, but didn't even include any sort of misogynistic element. I think those individuals are symptomatic of the gender roles men are expected to fulfill. If women had the responsibility of initiating romantic or sexual advances in society, you would see a similar phenomenon emerge. It just wouldn't be so amusing to most of the female population in the forum. Double-standards abound aplenty.

MBTI
    yupp

I don't think that, but maybe I should. Actually I'm just gonna keep assuming people are people and until they're wanted for murder or i have proof they're not good people i'm just gonna assume they are
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

What if actually the opposite is true?

Though in a community full of liberals and hipsters it might work in a different way. Positive discrimination, if you will.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I think this is actually a reaction to the more commonly & even traditionally held view that beauty is tied to virtue.
    We see this still in pop culture - villains are ugly, often even deformed, and the beautiful people are the heroes.
    I think this is has obvious metaphorical purpose, but it also seems to be some offering for WHY these ugly people are bad. It's the idea that the world has been harsh to them merely for being ugly. That is what brings forth the compassion.
    Then there is resentment towards the advantages the beautiful people have...

But the backlash created by this is that beautiful people are shallow, stupid, vain & selfish. That may be the comforting lie some tell themeless, or also the result of people who may not be beautiful by nature but chase beauty due to being shallow, vain, etc. They may also think beauty goes to the head of such people, and that it makes them arrogant.

I read somewhere that better looking people actually tend to be smarter too (blows the ugly nerd stereotype; turns out the may just be socially awkward AND ugly, not exceptionally smart :P ). I suppose the idea is that they are too focused on looks to read or pursue intellectual things, but again, I think it's really more of a comforting lie. People especially do this to rationalize their less-than-beautiful partner: "Well, hot girls are bitches anyway! Homely, er, cure girls tend to be sweeter."

I have seen many positive stereotypes about ugly people, ranging from being kinder to being smarter, so it does exist, but how much in practice people are influenced by it instead of just touting it is a different story.

In any case, I would rather be good-looking and bear the harsh prejudice :P.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe