User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 24

  1. #11
    girl with a pretty smile Honor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    No one defends frat douches and party bros as just being "awkward" if they treat women like less than human, but it's totes ok for unattractive guys to do it because they get some free pass?
    I never noticed this until recently, but it is true. Why is it that when the less attractive, nerdy guys treat people badly, it's dismissed as them "having no social skills"?

  2. #12
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    I never noticed this until recently, but it is true. Why is it that when the less attractive, nerdy guys treat people badly, it's dismissed as them "having no social skills"?
    Being told that you have no social skills is hardly complimentary.

  3. #13
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    I never noticed this until recently, but it is true. Why is it that when the less attractive, nerdy guys treat people badly, it's dismissed as them "having no social skills"?
    I don't know but as far as I can tell internet culture is full of men who consider themselves intellectuals but don't have a lot of luck with women, so the pigs at parties are envied or hated because most of them at least have a concept of how to practically obtain sex, and the men who don't feel inherently wronged by their lack of sexual experience, as though it's something society owes them, meanwhile women who would actually sleep with these erstwhile nerds are rejected in favor of some imaginary ideal women they feel they are somehow entitled to. So we should feel sorry for them and pet them and say oh isn't that cute although there's absolutely nothing cute about it..I think off line somatic narcissism is more greatly merited because it often produces an attractive appearance and sometimes wealth, and on line cerebral narcissism is almost played off as being normal for mistyped INTJs et al...I just don't have patience for it all, I find it obnoxious.

  4. #14
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Attractive people get hired more often, which shouldn't surprise anybody. This is only one example.

    I am yet to meet anybody who has a bias towards physically unattractive individuals; it is counterintuitive. People instinctively want the best genetic makeup for their offspring and physical appearance is an indicator of health.
    We find those with symmetric features to be attractive. And interestingly symmetric features correlate with better health.

  5. #15
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I don't know but as far as I can tell internet culture is full of men who consider themselves intellectuals but don't have a lot of luck with women, so the pigs at parties are envied or hated because most of them at least have a concept of how to practically obtain sex, and the men who don't feel inherently wronged by their lack of sexual experience, as though it's something society owes them, meanwhile women who would actually sleep with these erstwhile nerds are rejected in favor of some imaginary ideal women they feel they are somehow entitled to. So we should feel sorry for them and pet them and say oh isn't that cute although there's absolutely nothing cute about it..I think off line somatic narcissism is more greatly merited because it often produces an attractive appearance and sometimes wealth, and on line cerebral narcissism is almost played off as being normal for mistyped INTJs et al...I just don't have patience for it all, I find it obnoxious.
    yeah but people think they're smarter and more clever than they are often times. so many times i've gotten into a pissing contest with an "INTJ" online and they idiot being a complete moron and no matter how much evidence i through at them that proved them wrong they refused to listen thinking they were geniuses. so my point is you can try to and tell them they're not cute and that's why they're not getting laid but it probably won't work. their fragile male egos couldn't handle it.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  6. #16
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    The thing is, regarding the neckbeard stereotype, if a guy is overweight, has a "neckbeard" or even just a beard, and wears a fedora, he's going to get labeled a neckbeard whether he has any narcissistic tendencies or not. Even if he's not overweight or has no beard, but wears a fedora, he'll probably get labeled the same.

    I wouldn't be so quick to assume the guys in those memes are even necessarily narcissists. They could be...or they might just be jaded. In some cases, they were simply using cheesy poetic lines, but didn't even include any sort of misogynistic element. I think those individuals are symptomatic of the gender roles men are expected to fulfill. If women had the responsibility of initiating romantic or sexual advances in society, you would see a similar phenomenon emerge. It just wouldn't be so amusing to most of the female population in the forum. Double-standards abound aplenty.
    It's the sense of entitlement. That's the whole problem. Obviously decent and attractive men can wear fedoras, and not all fat guys are misogynistic, but you know, it's an image that has emerged in society just like fat goth girl and hairy man hating extreme feminist. People communicate things socially through appearance and sometimes people intentionally align themselves with a certain world view by choosing a particular style, to send off those social cues. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some men who belong to MRA forums and so forth INTENTIONALLY embrace the fedora and neckbeard to show solidarity with their brothers, like urban hipsters wearing dark framed glasses and riding bikes or fans of certain styles of music adopting the aesthetic.

    But stereotypes aren't nice, right, I get it. Ok.

  7. #17
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    yeah but people think they're smarter and more clever than they are often times. so many times i've gotten into a pissing contest with an "INTJ" online and they idiot being a complete moron and no matter how much evidence i through at them that proved them wrong they refused to listen thinking they were geniuses. so my point is you can try to and tell them they're not cute and that's why they're not getting laid but it probably won't work. their fragile male egos couldn't handle it.
    That's totes who I am talking about prpl. Totally.

  8. #18
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    That's totes who I am talking about prpl. Totally.
    hah yeah they frustrated me.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  9. #19
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    What if actually the opposite is true?

    Though in a community full of liberals and hipsters it might work in a different way. Positive discrimination, if you will.
    Get the fuck out of here. Hipsters love beautiful people.

    It depends honestly on what you mean by hipster though really. There's the intentionally contrary angry loner who is possessive of his or her interests, usually they are quite young; then there are the movers and shakers that my ISTP friend labelled hipsters but I honestly wasn't clear on his definition because I think he's frankly confused...people defining the mainstream style before it's mainstream aren't necessarily hipsters, I didn't like his generic take on hipsters liking Britney but hating Lana I am so like wut by your definition Lana is one of the trendsetters and every trend being set isn't counterculture especially not Britney Spears; then there's my definition and that's simply a basic.movement of a.loose collection of the young and with it who are some times following trends but also questions the mainstream and are just basically counterculture people who pay attention to what the fuck is going on culturally.

    But yeah I am not sure if you have ever seen an ad for American Apparel or Urban Outfitters: not ugly.

  10. #20
    #KUWK Kierva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    2,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    We find those with symmetric features to be attractive. And interestingly symmetric features correlate with better health.
    A circle is symmetrical.
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

Similar Threads

  1. Why do we think things are "cute"?
    By yama in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-01-2016, 11:34 PM
  2. Why do we admire what we are not?
    By Cellmold in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-02-2014, 06:15 PM
  3. Why do we listen to sad music when we are sad?
    By Rex in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-19-2011, 01:48 PM
  4. [INTJ] Why do a lot of people seem to have lots of negative views about INTJs?
    By bai_lin83 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 12:30 AM
  5. Why Do We Find Violence/Misfortune Funny?
    By RansomedbyFire in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 07:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO