User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 98

Thread: A theory

  1. #71
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
    I'm someone who is largely oblivious to body language, but I have to agree on this. There have been times online, for instance, where people don't know how to BACK THE FUCK DOWN from me. IRL, I could easily give them a warning look, but this presence is lost online. I find myself having to argue back interminably because folks can't read physical self-assertion online. I wind up in situations I don't normally get into IRL.

    Not only that, but it's also slower. I can write out a full-fledged response without interruption, edit my words, look up sources, etc. before anyone else is privy to my thoughts.


    Yeah, I try not to do that myself (hide behind a computer screen). One of my points of "online honor" is not to say anything on the computer I wouldn't say IRL. Yet, I feel that (SOME) others do this. Some folks' online conduct simply wouldn't work in the real world. It's always like, do you wanna get offline and say that to my face? Because I am sure 90% of those people wouldn't dare.


    That's interesting. You have a very different reaction to my post that Ene did above. Would you say that the majority of posters treat forums as other than public? I find that an interesting question because, in the subject of typology, we're discussing very intimate psychological phenomenon within a public sphere.


    I agree. You don't really know who people are till the shit hits the fan. It is often through out unconscious, knee-jerk reactions that our types become apparent--generally moreso to others than to ourselves. Unfortunately, I think these things are harder to capture on forum commentary.
    so when a crisis happens I fall apart, then I become very authortative and directive. and start directing people in what needs to be done, If i see a solution i will do everything in my power to make sure that gets done. I will call people. If someone gets emotional (and I get emotional) and not listening to reason I get more angry when i tell them that they're doing x and that's what's causing the problem to stop doing x and try y instead but they keep doing x. Or if their actions aren't aligning with there words. When I tell someone I'm gonna do something for them, I do it. If I can't get in done by the original time I've said I let them know. or if it turns out I'm not able to, but damnit I'm gonna try. I'll apologize, if I can pay for it to be fixed I'll pay it.Like I mean on stuff that has monetary value vs stuff that doesn't. And it's interesting when I get emotional it sometimes has to do with hurt pride or ego but a lot of times why my pride or ego is hurt is the other person is handling the situation in an irrational manner. I'm more likely to get angry over the fact that you're claiming you never leave dirty dishes out not admitting that you do then you actually leaving dirty dishes out. Or you accuse me of something and you do the same thing. If I'm doing something and you accuse me and it's true but you aren't doing the same thing I'll take care of it. I'll get angry for 30 seconds-minutes vs a hypocritical or false accusation will leave me mad for days at least.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  2. #72
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    I have been mistyped a lot on here by various well-wishers (sarcasm intended), mainly as an ISTJ. Much of this is due to the pervasive immature political stereotyping hereabout, and shows poor understanding of the ideological diversity that exists amongst non-liberals. I get that you find ideological differences abhorrent and are desperate to eliminate them so children cannot acquire "racist tendencies". Society must be cleansed of all injustice and discrimination! Revolution! Now finish your coffees and go back to school.

    But I digress. I suspect the style of language I am learning to use in writing (direct, concrete and formal) probably aids the impression of SJ-ness. I also worship the ideas of heroism and leadership through physical and strategic superiority, of individuals showing that they are outstanding. Perhaps not so many INTJs are attracted to this, I really don't know - and neither do any of you.

    In reality, I am pretty laid back ("relax" is my default response to my ESFJ mum), procrastinate constantly and tend to impiously use Ni as a tool to cut as many corners as possible. I am also a lot more sensitive and caring than I like to let out. I have a tendency to have outbursts, get emotional over all kinds of shit and moan about how I don't have a girlfriend and can't see any purpose for myself in life. These don't fit with my image very well. So why am I even saying this? Because I have a heart and need to vent, and as almost all of you hate me anyway how much worse can it get.

  3. #73
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I have been typed a lot on here by various well-wishers (sarcasm intended), mainly as an ISTJ.
    I almost said "add me to the list," until I realized you're not the so-called INTJ I was thinking of.

  4. #74
    Senior Member yeghor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by small.wonder View Post
    Erm, as far as I know, one does not "work on" characteristics of a type they have no line to. I've heard people say they are "working toward" integration by trying to develop the traits of their health point, but I think that's a little backwards too-- work on self, integration happens. Not visa versa. Plus, I'm sure you realize how insulting it is to a 4 to suggest they become something else-- especially something deceitful and fake.

    468 is the other one I did consider (458, 468 and 451) even though I actually test pretty low in 6 (6, 2 and 3 are my bottom scores usually, 2 has definitely been higher the less healthy I am though). I do fancy myself a truth teller, but probably not to the firecracker extent of 468 if I'm honest. When I first started looking at tritype, I basically scoured the internet for credible info on the three I narrowed it down to and took notes. From there I could pretty clearly see which characteristics were truer of myself.
    I don't think it's insulting. I can understand that it might look like that from 4s' perspective though. I think it implies an unwillingness to consider what other people think about the 4, which brings me to the subject of developing 3ish traits for a more balanced personality.

    4s need to develop their ability to give more consideration to other people's preferences, align themselves according to those preferences and give more weight to what others think about the 4. In other words 4s need to develop more Fe to offset their Fi thru developing more enneagram 2 and 3ish traits. Furthermore, there are shades to enneagram 3 and Fe, and fakeness and deceitfulness are just one aspect of it. Healthier aspects include genuine concern for other people. Enneagram 3s need to develop their enneagram 4 side as well so as to develop their authentic core identity. That, for instance, started happening for me in my late 20s.

    As for the thing about integration requiring connection between two enneagram types, I do not adhere to those systems. My comment was based on my own understanding of enneagram types.

  5. #75

    Default

    The version I am on here is more emotional and negative. My more upbeat version doesn't feel like posting here. Today, for instance, I have been exceedingly sleepy and tired for no apparent reason...maybe I just needed the rest.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  6. #76
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    The version I am on here is more emotional and negative. My more upbeat version doesn't feel like posting here. Today, for instance, I have been exceedingly sleepy and tired for no apparent reason...maybe I just needed the rest.
    that's how I am. irl i have a hard time expressing emotions and i try not be negative. so you people get all that shit.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  7. #77
    Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni
    Posts
    4,180

    Default

    I bite my tongue and sugarcoat just a little bit more in real life.

    @Sanjuro's on the money with the idea that the true self comes out in stressful situations. Between that true self, the 'normal self,' and the online self, I'd wager that the first and third are similar.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

    "Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

  8. #78
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,427

    Default

    I only realized recently that people don't get a good glimpse of my Te here. I'm very, very obviously Te-dominant in real life. You can see it pretty clearly in my videos. I think it's something about this medium, and this type of conversation, that doesn't allow for Te/Si to show itself. Probably because what happens on the forum isn't really task/goal-oriented, in a direct sense.

    On the other hand, I'm pretty damn ESTJ in the modbox.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nixie View Post
    Unlike a lot of posters say, online is part of the "public" behavioral sphere for me. It didn't used to be, but it became so as I got older. I won't be any more confrontational here than I'd be in real life. Perhaps I'm more self-disclosing here, but then, I disclose just as much if I am in a situation in the flesh that encourages and rewards it to the degree that places like this site do. There are just very few of those situations IRL, and seeking them is far more arduous.

    ...As far as type goes, I can't stomach the belief that who one is where they're comfortable is who they really are. The more pressure one is under, the more their true colors will show. I think the only thoughts or behaviors that are relevant to type at all are those that coincide: internal motivations and beliefs that are backed up by action in the time and place they are intended for (not vented at home when they are really about work, explored inside when one dreams of living them, etc). The bottled up is a fantasy as much as a mask is. No time for introspecting + no tolerance for masks = typing.
    Interesting. I agree on all of this. A big part of why I'm more Te in real life, is because the forum is a place of introspection for me, which necessitates that I think a lot before I post. Whereas in real life I don't give myself time for that, and am more likely to leap into things / less likely to pick my battles when someone is being ignorant.

    Which isn't to say that my "true self" is a jerk. Just that I am not terribly level-headed in heated discussions, where I don't have the luxury of taking a few minutes to calm down before I reply. On the forum, I have that luxury -- but in real life, I don't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
    I'm someone who is largely oblivious to body language, but I have to agree on this. There have been times online, for instance, where people don't know how to BACK THE FUCK DOWN from me. IRL, I could easily give them a warning look, but this presence is lost online. I find myself having to argue back interminably because folks can't read physical self-assertion online. I wind up in situations I don't normally get into IRL.
    This is interesting. Seems pretty common on internet forums, but I've never been able to relate. What keeps you from stepping back and letting it go?

    Edit: I think that the reason why I can't relate, is that I don't usually give off very strong emotional signals one way or another. And if I end up giving off angry signals during a discussion, that usually doesn't mean that I want the discussion to end.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
    Yeah, I try not to do that myself (hide behind a computer screen). One of my points of "online honor" is not to say anything on the computer I wouldn't say IRL. Yet, I feel that (SOME) others do this. Some folks' online conduct simply wouldn't work in the real world. It's always like, do you wanna get offline and say that to my face? Because I am sure 90% of those people wouldn't dare.
    Totally -- I'm the same way.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  9. #79
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,771

    Default

    ok I've thought more about the conflict avoidant thing and I am more so irl. Like if I know the person is a stubborn asshole, or that I could get royally screwed over I'll avoid it. But if there's a chance to make things better in the long run I'm not. I guess I choose my battles more wisely irl.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  10. #80
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    ok I've thought more about the conflict avoidant thing and I am more so irl. Like if I know the person is a stubborn asshole, or that I could get royally screwed over I'll avoid it. But if there's a chance to make things better in the long run I'm not. I guess I choose my battles more wisely irl.
    Why do you think you behave differently irl, in that regard?
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Similar Threads

  1. Glasser and Choice Theory
    By rivercrow in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-13-2016, 06:42 AM
  2. Music and String Theory
    By wyrdsister in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-16-2012, 09:32 PM
  3. EQSQ Theory and test
    By Sahara in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 05:58 AM
  4. [JCF] Leanor Thomson's Theory and INFP cognitive functions
    By heart in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 01:07 AM
  5. Type Theory vs. Temperament Theory
    By proteanmix in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 10:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO