User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 98

Thread: A theory

  1. #51
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by small.wonder View Post
    No, I mean the "mirror" self (shadow functions) thing. I'd say 8 is pretty much the inverse of 4 in a lot of arguable ways, and I do tend to go 8 in public/social settings. I actually don't think I really am much different online vs. offline, but maybe that's my health talking. Plus, I suppose I don't know how people perceive me on here.
    o ok. I gotcha. people have been trying to type me as 8 lately and that's laughable or at least 8 in my tritype. if they saw me in real life they'd be like nope. I might disengrate to an 8
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  2. #52
    So she did. small.wonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so
    Posts
    976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    o ok. I gotcha. people have been trying to type me as 8 lately and that's laughable or at least 8 in my tritype. if they saw me in real life they'd be like nope. I might disengrate to an 8
    For the record, I've seen you as a 6 for a long time-- even before you put that on your profile.
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨

  3. #53
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by small.wonder View Post
    For the record, I've seen you as a 6 for a long time-- even before you put that on your profile.
    yeah it's the one i relate to the most. they agree that 6 is in my tritype.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  4. #54
    Senior Member yeghor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    yeah it's the one i relate to the most. they agree that 6 is in my tritype.
    You are a 5w6 INTP, who act like an ENTJ when angered or irritated, that is to say you switch to type 6.

    I'd expect your tritype would be something like 593.

    Quote Originally Posted by small.wonder View Post
    To the OP: Holy crap, @prplchknz! I think this actually might explain why I test second highest in 8, and why people are intimidated by me in public sometimes!
    I think you are probably a 481, which correlates to ISFP. People being intimidated by you in public is due to your aggressive body language coming from your auxiliary Se.

    What the OP mentions I believe is switching to her shadow functions online and people getting confused over her online persona, which would, in your case, mean ISFP reverting to ESFJ, in other words, a type 4 starting to act like a type 3, attention seeking behaviour and emotional manipulation.

  5. #55
    failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te
    Posts
    4,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    Shadow functions manifest themselves when your main self fails to cope with something (negative feelings like anger, sadness, fear etc) or when you have no fear of repercussions and retaliations.

    Consider how you act towards or around strangers. That's your main (guarded) type.

    Consider how you act around family or close friends. That's your shadow type.
    Would it be possible to break it down even further, by saying. that there is a different shadow for each event type.

    • negative feelings like anger, sadness or fear
    • no fear of repercussions and retaliations

    e.g.

    depending on which version:
    same order, opposite orientations (INTP -> ENTJ)
    INTP: Ti Ne Si Fe
    ENTJ: Te Ni Se Fi

    opposite order, same orientation (INTP -> ESFJ)
    INTP: Ti Ne Si Fe
    ESFJ: Fe Si Ne Ti

    opposite orientation, opposite order (INTP -> ISFP)
    INTP: Ti Ne Si Fe
    ISFP: Fi Se Ni Te

  6. #56
    Senior Member yeghor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    Would it be possible to break it down even further, by saying. that there is a different shadow for each event type.

    • negative feelings like anger, sadness or fear
    • no fear of repercussions and retaliations

    e.g.

    depending on which version:
    same order, opposite orientations (INTP -> ENTJ)
    INTP: Ti Ne Si Fe
    ENTJ: Te Ni Se Fi

    opposite order, same orientation (INTP -> ESFJ)
    INTP: Ti Ne Si Fe
    ESFJ: Fe Si Ne Ti

    opposite orientation, opposite order (INTP -> ISFP)
    INTP: Ti Ne Si Fe
    ISFP: Fi Se Ni Te
    The easiest path for the shadow to engage is thru the inverse of dominant function (the opposing function). Engaging the shadow thru the inferior function or its inverse would be impractical in that it's the weakest function of an individual.

    Shadow OTOH may be triggered by others thru itching the individual's inferior function.

    The purpose of the shadow is to fend off stimuli that's overbearingly irritating or unbearable to the normal self, when normal self can no longer cope with it and collapses.

    What happens if the shadow collapses too, that I don't know. Ego death?

  7. #57
    Senior Member Sanjuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None
    Posts
    822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    What if online you are a different person like your doppleganger comes out and people on here know you as that. But IRL your very different in how you approach things. Does that mean what they're typing you on here is true. Because you aren't being inauthetic it's just a different side of you that you can't express in the real world. Out of fear of being punched or getting the "you just hit my dog" face which kills me. So In real life you're conflict avoidant unless someone pushes you far enough then you will destroy them, but feel extremely guilty even though they deserved it. but on here you're always in conflicts. or if it's a company if you express your feelings they might get made and make things worse so you say nothing. because you don't want to make things worse.
    I kind of agree. Damn, I've seen so many people on here saying things to me they wouldn't say IRL.

    I hate to think that nearly everyone is just cowering behind the computer screen (although this happens), but it's also an artificial sort of socializing--quiet people can come off looking talkative and long-winded, etc. This isn't real socializing, so we are bound to "vibe" differently than we are.

    Yeah, I've given up on typing people online exactly for the reasons we're both mentioning. It's NOT real interaction, and we can present ourselves as anything we want. You're absolutely right.

    In my own case, I swear to God my mind works the same online as it does IRL, but you have to get to know me before you see that side of me. Plus, words sometimes come out of my mouth differently than they sound when I think them (I mean, I would never say "Oh my goodness", but I've typed it a few times), then different individuals will read an interpret my words slightly differently...of course our doppelgangers come out online.

    FWIW, I've been told I come across as a 6, 7, 1, 9, or occasionally 8 online (though the 8 is disputable to many because I don't waste much time with online arguments). IRL, most people (my own family) seemed to think I was a 4 or 5 when I showed them years ago. They'd never figure me for a 9. Go figure out those discrepancies. Those who find me plain-spoken, interesting, and chatty online would be taken aback by how withdrawn, asocial, and non-participatory I am upon first meeting IRL.

    I swear, though, I am still the same person inside my head.

  8. #58
    So she did. small.wonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so
    Posts
    976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yeghor View Post
    I think you are probably a 481, which correlates to ISFP. People being intimidated by you in public is due to your aggressive body language coming from your auxiliary Se.

    What the OP mentions I believe is switching to her shadow functions online and people getting confused over her online persona, which would, in your case, mean ISFP reverting to ESFJ, in other words, a type 4 starting to act like a type 3, attention seeking behaviour and emotional manipulation.
    Lol. Interesting but not accurate, mostly because a person cannot be 581 as that's a double gut type tritype-- no one is that gutsy. if I could be any other tritype it would be 451, but I test too high on 8 and only test high in 1 when I'm healthy (integration). That said, I think your train of thought may have something; after massive (exhausting) reading, posting a freaking video of length and other means, if pressed I believe my MBTI is INfJ (or really INxJ), though I'm not sure what that would translate to as far as shadow functions go. Haha, oh the thought of me seeming 3-ish. If I were capable of that it'd probably actually be pretty helpful to me, I suck at marketing myself and hardly use my gifts because I despise show offs so much-- it's actually a shame, I'm working on it.
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨

  9. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne
    Posts
    783

    Default

    I behave very differently online than what I do in real life, still my motives are the same, online I am more what I'd like to be. But being on the internet is just a stupid waste of time... escapism! Everyone I meet on the internet, I'll never meet in real life, and no one here is really my friend.

  10. #60
    Senior Member yeghor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by small.wonder View Post
    Lol. Interesting but not accurate, mostly because a person cannot be 581 as that's a double gut type tritype-- no one is that gutsy. if I could be any other tritype it would be 451, but I test too high on 8 and only test high in 1 when I'm healthy (integration). That said, I think your train of thought may have something; after massive (exhausting) reading, posting a freaking video of length and other means, if pressed I believe my MBTI is INfJ (or really INxJ), though I'm not sure what that would translate to as far as shadow functions go. Haha, oh the thought of me seeming 3-ish. If I were capable of that it'd probably actually be pretty helpful to me, I suck at marketing myself and hardly use my gifts because I despise show offs so much-- it's actually a shame, I'm working on it.
    You could be 486 then. Don't know why but the closest is 468 tritype.

    Work on that enneagram 3 charm. I already sense some type 3 playfulness

Similar Threads

  1. Glasser and Choice Theory
    By rivercrow in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-13-2016, 06:42 AM
  2. Music and String Theory
    By wyrdsister in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-16-2012, 09:32 PM
  3. EQSQ Theory and test
    By Sahara in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 05:58 AM
  4. [JCF] Leanor Thomson's Theory and INFP cognitive functions
    By heart in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 01:07 AM
  5. Type Theory vs. Temperament Theory
    By proteanmix in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 10:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO