User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    Yeah, I mistook this for the original Banned and Damned thread, and was wondering when @OrderOfTheCaelifera became a mod
    Bahahaha I've reverted to infrequent glimpsing from the sideline & keeping my opinions to myself but I can't resist occasionally cracking one off.

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    Yeah, I mistook this for the original Banned and Damned thread, and was wondering when @OrderOfTheCaelifera became a mod

Generally, can't deny that there's something going on underneath the surface when one 'hurts' another.

One-upmanship is a good aloe vera for the ego. Related, there could also be a sense of separating oneself from the other: "that's clearly not me, so deriding it reinforces that distance."

Not to say that this sort of 'hurt' is always a bad thing, or that it points to a psychosis; especially when it's not verbalized. "I don't want to be like that" or "I don't know what the hell this person is thinking" aren't necessarily unhealthy thoughts.
    Yes, it all depends on the motivation. The motivation may be benign in presenting principled critique, or the motive may be malign in wishing to cause psychological pain.

The problem arises when principled critique is perceived as offensive, so it is very hard to distinguish between malign and benign motives.

So we tend to err of the side of free speech which includes the right to offend.

However free speech is limited by libel laws, anti-discrimination laws, criminal laws, common sense, and the rules of Typology Central.

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    How jungian
    Actually Freudian, expressed by Dr Alice Miller in her books including, For Your Own Good.

Default Jesus the Exorcist

Jesus is emerging in this thread because there is one thing most agree on and that is Jesus cast out demons. But he didn't just cast our demons, he did it for free, when the other exorcists of the day required a payment.

What this means is that Jesus was a generous exorcist. And this is why exorcism is practised officially and at the hightest levels of Christianity to day - because Jesus did it.

The problem is that exorcism is pre-Enlightenment. Jesus cast our demons because he believed that physical and mental illness was caused by demons, but after the Enlightenment, evidence and reason showed there were other causes, apart from demons, for physical and mental illness.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Universal Synchronicity

The universe is full of strange and terrifying power.

I was viewing "Annie Hall" for the very first time while reading this thread; and right as I read the above post about Jesus performing exorcisms and casting out demons, I looked up at the TV just in time to see a passing shot of a marquee in the movie advertising the flicks "House of Exorcism // Messiah of Evil."

I do not know what this means, nor am I even sure whether it bodes good or ill for Jesus the Exorcist. I just know I'm very uneasy about turning off the lights and going to bed, and I feel like Woody Allen was trying to tell me something. To think that a Jewish humorist is not just teaching me about Jesus but precognosticating a post on a web site 15 years before the Internet and 37 years before the post was written leaves me with a terrible bout of indigestion.

---

In any case, while I don't see any definitive proof of demons, just because we can explain some demon-possession through an understanding of psychological illness still doesn't comment adequately on whether any cases of true demonic possession have ever occurred in history.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The universe is full of strange and terrifying power.

I was viewing "Annie Hall" for the very first time while reading this thread; and right as I read the above post about Jesus performing exorcisms and casting out demons, I looked up at the TV just in time to see a passing shot of a marquee in the movie advertising the flicks "House of Exorcism // Messiah of Evil."

I do not know what this means, nor am I even sure whether it bodes good or ill for Jesus the Exorcist. I just know I'm very uneasy about turning off the lights and going to bed, and I feel like Woody Allen was trying to tell me something. To think that a Jewish humorist is not just teaching me about Jesus but precognosticating a post on a web site 15 years before the Internet and 37 years before the post was written leaves me with a terrible bout of indigestion.
    ---
    In any case, while I don't see any definitive proof of demons, just because we can explain some demon-possession through an understanding of psychological illness still doesn't comment adequately on whether any cases of true demonic possession have ever occurred in history.
    Surprisingly we do know quite a bit about possession from the religion of Voodoo in Haiti.

In Voodoo the believers don't so much pray to their God but become their God.

The Voodooists have rituals that take them to fourth level trances where the difference between reality and imagination disappears, and they become what they imagine.

And I understand the Tibetan Buddhists also have rituals that take them to fourth level trances where they become what they imagine.

What is interesting is that what the Voodooists imagine is different from what the Buddhists imagine.

So in my opinion, the strange and terrifying power can be understood and used safely and productively by learning to enter and leave the trance state safely.

And having learnt to enter and leave the trance state safely, we can start to go down deeper into the levels of trance to the fourth level, where the distinction between imagination and reality disappear, and we become what we imagine.

Otherwise we remain as children on the shore of a vast ocean of strange and terrifying power, over which we have no control.

So without learning how to swim safely in trance, it is better to stay out of the water.

Default Addendum

It is not only the Voodooists and the Tibetan Buddhists who use ritual to go down to trance level four where we lose the distinction between imagination and reality, but the Catholics also use ritual to enter trance level four.

Yes, the Catholic Mass is an age-old trance induction, refined and perfected over many centuries.

Yes, the Catholic Mass takes us from being wide awake to the first trance level, then to the second trance level, right down to the fourth trance level.

Some Catholics merely get bored at Mass but many others go right down to trance level four where they can't distinguish between imagination and reality. And for such Catholics at fourth level trance, the bread and wine become literally the body and blood of Jesus.

Yes, the transubstatiation of the bread and wine into the body and blood of Jesus is the climax of the trance induction called the Mass.

And from there we are taken back up the levels of trance from trance level four to trance level one, and then wide awake, with the ritual words by the priest, Go in peace the Mass is ended, answered by the congregation with, Thanks be to God.

And the congregation walks out of the church wide awake.

Retired

spooky.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Actually Freudian, expressed by Dr Alice Miller in her books including, For Your Own Good.
    Sounds more jungian than freudian

"In 1980, after having worked as a psychoanalyst and an analyst trainer for 20 years, Miller “stopped practicing and teaching psychoanalysis in order to explore childhood systematically".[10] She became critical of both Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung."
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

(mod note - thread title changed slightly to reduce confusion. Carry on )
    -end of thread-