• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Wanting people to like you (need advice)

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I relate mucho. I've been talking to a counselor, so I already know where my feelings to please others originated--my parents. When I was in 5th grade, I distinctly remember my mom yelling at me, telling me that she wished I was never born and that it was my fault her and my dad were going to get divorced. So yeah, that basically sums up... everything.

It's very hard and very tiring to gain the strength and courage to overcome these ingrained beliefs, but I've realized that I really don't want everyone to like me, anyway. I mean, imagine everyone in the whole world automatically loving you the moment they set eyes on you (that's kind of extreme, but whatever, lol). It's just... wrong.

Also, I have always automatically assumed that everyone but me is confident and happy and generally just better off than I am, so I feel like I'm worthless and not worth their time. But I've realized that most people have the same feelings of insecurity that I have. So if I concentrate on that and less on myself, socializing becomes a lot less stressful--it makes me realize that everyone is on the same level. I am seeing someone and automatically judging them even though I haven't taken the time to know them, and they are most likely doing the same to me. I dunno, I just think that's comforting for some reason.

Mole

Permabanned
I think I have a reaction formation.

I unconsciously expect people to reject me so I beat them to the punch and reject them first.

However as Heart has pointed out, I am a cunning fox so I don't reject people verbally but rather I reject them emotionally.

So most people don't respond to what I say, but how I make them feel. And I make them feel rejected so they show me how they feel by rejecting me and so validate my expectation. It's a perfect vicious circle.

And unfortunately for me, people remember how you make them feel, not what you say to them.

Luckily and painfully my feelings of rejection are moving from my unconscious to my conscious. So I have less need to act out in order to make my feelings conscious. And so I will have less need to make you feel bad. And in return you will be less provoked to make me feel bad.

And at this point I can't help thinking of Richard Nixon who said, "You won't have Nixon to kick around anymore", but who didn't add, "because I am not going to kick you around anymore".

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
You can be hit and miss, lukewarm, cold, bitchy, bastardy, confronting, pleasant, unpleasant, trustful, distrustful, misunderstood, understood, tasteful, in bad taste and that's just life.

Shit Happens
A lot more than not
Assumptions are like a coffee grater's best friend.

Likeability isn’t so much to do with pleasing or displeasing anybody else. Its about having respect for the boundary of another, its about having confidence and assertion for yourself as well as outwardly showing that you have belief and are genuine and consistent in the way you behave and treat others.

While it is said that it takes the first 5-10 seconds of a person to form an impression whether you are going to be liked or disliked. I think that is only true for the initial impression, it is what happens after the impression that will demonstrate whether the likability or dislike of the persona happens based on common interests, connections, experiences, differences and the like.

Its like with my brother, the more I please him the more he wants, the more he wants the more disrespect I receive. Which is bad mkay, when you can assert your will speak your mind, have voice and say what you are all about without wanting to please then this will be respected. When you stop having a voice and choose to stay a doormat without realizing your giving away your power, then its going to be difficult to restore confidence and self esteem.

Absent in the wake of wanting or wanting in the wake of absence, rejection is feedback at its best because there is only experience from failure and experience from failure is feedback from rejection.

Core beliefs are such that the emotional wants started from the people closest to us and the people closest to us created insecurity because they hurt us the most then the ideas are expressed outwardly and measured according to past experience.

dani_elle

MBTI Type
ENFP
I can relate to this, and I think it has much to do with self-loathing of some sort.

I've long gotten over it. It was painful, I admit. But I've learnt my lesson. Remember, like attracts like. Won't you rather have others that fit you be attracted to you rather than trying to mold yourself to fit in with others? Just a thought.

Nowadays, my modus operandi is to get a "feel" of what other people are about and figure whether we can get along in the long run. If not, I will be polite, distant but friendly. You know, just get along with them but I don't see a need to get close. For one, I can't handle small minded people so I usually respectfully try to stay away from a negative influence.

Being a perpetual giver will lead to you being taken advantage of if the respect ain't mutual. It won't lead you to being liked as well if you're doing it for the sake of wanting to fit in.

Now, to be honest : would I like to be admired?

Yes, but I would want to be admired for a quality I possess and not the image I'm trying to mold myself into.

Liminality

MBTI Type
ISFx
Enneagram
6w7
So I have this problem. I hate hate hate disappointing people. I want them to like me and value me and this affects my authenticity and makes me hyperconscious of my surroundings. I monitor myself for thoughts that could lead to lead to disappointment or a rupture in the relationship, and monitor my surroundings for threats to the relationship. I don't even like thinking bad or disappointing thoughts about people I'm "supposed" to like. I'm not sure why I do that, or whether it's even connected. I can't see the connection if there is one. This doesn't just apply to people I know or care about, but strangers. Even a therapist I saw a few times a couple years ago, where I wanted to be an ideal patient, making breakthroughs left and right. It's a big deal in all of my relationships, especially the intimate ones. What's the connection? Am I just trying to avoid them not liking me?

Also, I'd like to know if anyone here has gotten over this, how they did that, and how they understand the need for admiration/valuation. I'm also open to hearing what people think about this, but please, no type talk (if you're going to address your comments to me only). If you want to share that you do this but have no advice, that's cool.

*late* :( I can so relate to this...

Sorry if you mention this later, there's alot of thread and little time for me online left today...

Can you relate to the sense that you're always being watched, inside and out? That the people around you can see in/listen to your mind, sometimes your thoughts get very 'loud', or maybe that the room gets filled with them?

A good few years back I had horrific social anxiety outside my small group of friends, I had to throw myself in the deep end (my mum did really). She got me to go on this trip alone - to a sort of art camp, but with no one I knew, then we went to Spain, where I met two girls I'd not seen in about 7 years.

I'm now merely somewhat shy, and kinda bad one to one.

krunchtime

So I have this problem. I hate hate hate disappointing people. I want them to like me and value me and this affects my authenticity and makes me hyperconscious of my surroundings. I monitor myself for thoughts that could lead to lead to disappointment or a rupture in the relationship, and monitor my surroundings for threats to the relationship. I don't even like thinking bad or disappointing thoughts about people I'm "supposed" to like. I'm not sure why I do that, or whether it's even connected. I can't see the connection if there is one. This doesn't just apply to people I know or care about, but strangers. Even a therapist I saw a few times a couple years ago, where I wanted to be an ideal patient, making breakthroughs left and right. It's a big deal in all of my relationships, especially the intimate ones. What's the connection? Am I just trying to avoid them not liking me?

Also, I'd like to know if anyone here has gotten over this, how they did that, and how they understand the need for admiration/valuation. I'm also open to hearing what people think about this, but please, no type talk (if you're going to address your comments to me only). If you want to share that you do this but have no advice, that's cool.

There is a connection between wanting people to like you and rejecting negative thoughts about them. Your brain demands that you match your actions to your beliefs and vice-versa. If you go by the rule that acceptance is good and judgement is evil, you will feel hypocritical for failing to live up to your own standards. I'm stuck in a similar situation and don't consider myself "cured" at this moment. I'm also looking for acceptance, but I tend to react in a prickly hedgehog manner. Over the years, I've refined my thinking.

Wanting acceptance is a natural human impulse. But getting everybody to validate you is impossible, also, unecessary to your well-being. Some people will aggressively defend their ego from any perceived attacks. They define so strongly with the self that anything "other" is quickly rejected. Some contort themselves to fit external expectations. They define their "self" in accordance to what "others" find acceptable.

Aggressively egostic people will find acceptance for "being who they are", but might earn a reputation for unecessary abrasiveness. Accomodating people will find acceptance for being "understanding", but might be criticised for being "spineless or hypocritical". I think the difference between them is minimal.

People will accept you, if they can identify with any part of your personality. If you project a witty image, people who identify with intelligence, will identify with you. If you speak in an objective manner, people who identify with reason, will identify with you. The degree of acceptance depends on the degree of identification. Thus, no matter what kind of person you are, you are bound to find some degree of acceptance.

Relationships are like a form of social investment. Everyone has a limited amount of time, energy and love to spend on others. Only our friends and family members truly matter to our well-being. We select friends on the basis of identification. We have less of a choice regarding relatives, so empathy and reciprocation is the best way to maintain cordiality. As for the rest, basic courtesy and humanity, because we remain a member of the human race. This means not doing things that will devastate others, even if it is of no direct consequence to us. Gaining 100% approval is a statistical impossibility, so I remind myself not to expend out of proportional efforts in that direction.

Basically, this is my categorization of people.

Last edited:

Matata

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
That's really interesting, I wouldn't say I "monitor my thoughts to avoid rupturing relationships" (because I have very strong thoughts and values despite who's around me) but when I'm in a group of people who are either strangers or aquaintences (people who aren't good friends) I too feel very self-concsious and I act introverted because I'm afriad people won't like me if I say the wrong thing (because even if I don't consider these people potential friends I don't want them to dislike me). I know you said "no type talk" but this always suprised me about myself because I'm usually a huge extrovert around friends and people I know.

I'm not sure how to "get over this", but I know that I personally started acting this way after being in a group setting when I was younger in which everyone seemed to dislike me. Therefore I thought if I said less around these people then they would have less reason to hate me. I really don't like acting fake, so I wouldn't change myself (or thoughts) to fit others, but it's an awful feeling when everyone in a group hates you, so in an effort to avoid these situations in the future I decided to keep quiet around non-friends in general. It might not be the best solution because it's made me self-consious about talking to strangers, but introverts are quiet in general, so I don't see too much harm in acting introverted around strangers.

Another thing you and I have in common is that I try not to think badly about people, but I try not to think badly about my good friends, because I feel like judgement only leads to animosity (unless it's a problem I plan on discussing with them to their face). When it comes to strangers I also try not to judge them until I get to know them, but that's not because I'm "supposed" to like them. Even if I hear a rumor about someone I try not to think badly about them before I meet them because I want to give them the benefit of the doubt that they are good people unless they prove otherwise to me.

I'm not sure if this was helpful, but I think it's interesting that we display similar bahaviors, yet it seems like we have different intentions motivating them.

HollyGolightly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I haven't read through the whole thread because I'm so eager to reply because this strikes such a chord so sorry if I am repeating what other people have said.
I had a similar problem, I still have it to some degree. I felt that I didn't deserve to share this planet with everyone else and that I had to earn my right to be here. I desperately wanted to be loved, to please, to be perfect.
The way I got over it was when I got a huge smack in the face. Somebody really hurt me, well a lot of people did actually. It hurt so much I thought I was going to die, I even prayed that whoever was up there would take me in my sleep. But I came through it, and the realisation hit me.
I can do everything right, but not everyone will like me. And they have every right not to like me. I mean, I don't like EVERYONE else...and it's not always because they've done something wrong. It's not their fault and it's not my fault...we're just not meant to be best buddies.
Fear of faliure can be over powering. I felt like I was failing other people if I was perfect, if I wasn't pleasing. It goes back to what I said in the previous paragraph. I think it's mainly to do with self esteem and lack of self acceptance. Everybody has flaws. I actually find people with flaws more attractive than people who come across "perfect" all the time. We're all human and we are designed to mess up sometimes. If you don't mess up you will never learn, which means you can't possibly get anything out of life. If there was no such thing as faliure we would never truly know what success was.
Don't be so hard on yourself. The fact that you care so much about how other people feel shows you are an awesome person anyways. You're allowed to mess up sometimes :)

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
It's not if people like you, it's if you like them =)

There are lots of people out there, and if you think or know one or some don't like you, be like whatever and move on, there are other people more worthy of your time.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I had that same problem when I was a teenager.

It all changed when I started to like myself. Once you accept yourself for who you are, and get to LOVE yourself, people start doing the same.

Tried and true, I have many people who admire me for being authentic ("what you see is what you get"). Pretending to be something you are not will make you seem fake to other people, and that´s not a proper way to make them like you.

And, you can´t live playing a character for your whole life. Accepting, and being yourself (with all the good and bad things), will also save your mental health from collapsing.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I realize this thread is from a while back and I already responded, but it's been in my mind since it popped back up. The two bolded portions struck me because I guess I don't see it as not being authentic to choose to think positive thoughts about someone a person might not have a naturally warm feeling towards. I think people own their choice as much as their feelings. I would think inauthentic would be indulging in negative thoughts about someone, but acting "nice" when they are around.

For some reason it is difficult for me to pinpoint how I feel about this. Reading over the thread my heart goes out to people who feel worry or trepidation about it. I would give them each a hug. :hug: I don't think I could actively dislike any person who would feel disappointed, hurt, or anxious as a result of my rejection. I don't understand people who withhold acceptance or actively instill hurt, except that I know people often feel rejected or at a loss of power and that helps them regain those feelings in a shallow way. Also, people often instill in others the very feelings that resonate at their own core.

I like people who actively dislike me in some cases, but that usually alleviates some of their own anxieties and dislike of me. Disliking someone can involve projecting past hurts onto a fresh, innocent person, or trying to feel in control, etc. I find that the more I understand a person, the less invested I am in their acceptance sometimes, and yet I prefer if everyone gets along because it seems more stable and rational to me. It feels to me like it requires an ego invested and tunnel vision to hate someone. Perhaps sometimes that is a reasonable response if they are actively instilling harm.

There are people who dislike me and have said quite unfair statements to me. I'm trying to figure out how I feel about that and if I want those people to like me, and the answer is not that clear. For those whom I've seen behave inconsistently towards others (they actively dislike others without cause), I don't think their acceptance of me would be particularly reassuring. In a few cases I would find it disturbing because I don't trust their method of acceptance or rejection. If they hurt other people and enjoy it, then being super sweet to me just doesn't feel right or honest. I know if they aren't currently disliking me, then they could change on a dime at any time. Consistency means a lot to me, so it's almost better to just face it.

I was also trying to think of people I dislike, and there are a few. I saw a guest on a talk show who was a raving Randroid, mind-numbingly elitist, and arrogant to boot. I actively disliked him, but I can guarantee he wouldn't care or be hurt in the slightest. I think he causes harm and has tunnel vision. However if he had life experiences and changed that front, I wouldn't continue a grudge. I suppose I can honestly say that there are no people I dislike, but there are certain behaviors I do not accept, those that cause harm especially if they are irrational and dishonest.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had that same problem when I was a teenager.

It all changed when I started to like myself. Once you accept yourself for who you are, and get to LOVE yourself, people start doing the same.

heh.

Well, I think your advice is correct -- accepting yourself for who you are and loving yourself IS the best way to proceed, AND people who do not have prior investment in you will generally respond positively to a more positive and self-accepting you -- but I'm going to have to say that, in my experience, people who are invested in the old you and in the old patterns of you sometimes do not like the change because it threatens the established order of things. Sometimes loving yourself means losing the love of the people who loved the self you did not love before.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like people who actively dislike me in some cases, but that usually alleviates some of their own anxieties and dislike of me. Disliking someone can involve projecting past hurts onto a fresh, innocent person, or trying to feel in control, etc. I find that the more I understand a person, the less invested I am in their acceptance sometimes, and yet I prefer if everyone gets along because it seems more stable and rational to me. It feels to me like it requires an ego invested and tunnel vision to hate someone. Perhaps sometimes that is a reasonable response if they are actively instilling harm.

There are people who dislike me and have said quite unfair statements to me. I'm trying to figure out how I feel about that and if I want those people to like me, and the answer is not that clear. For those whom I've seen behave inconsistently towards others (they actively dislike others without cause), I don't think their acceptance of me would be particularly reassuring. In a few cases I would find it disturbing because I don't trust their method of acceptance or rejection. If they hurt other people and enjoy it, then being super sweet to me just doesn't feel right or honest. I know if they aren't currently disliking me, then they could change on a dime at any time. Consistency means a lot to me, so it's almost better to just face it.
I relate to this. I don't want to be liked by people I despise. That's a negative sort of endorsement. My assessment of a person is entirely unrelated to how they feel about me, more often than not. That's rare though, isn't it? Most people seem to simply like those who like them. That always struck me as rather lacking in discrimination. What is the reason for it (beyond the obvious one of basing one's self-esteem on the opinions of others)?

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
heh.

Well, I think your advice is correct -- accepting yourself for who you are and loving yourself IS the best way to proceed, AND people who do not have prior investment in you will generally respond positively to a more positive and self-accepting you -- but I'm going to have to say that, in my experience, people who are invested in the old you and in the old patterns of you sometimes do not like the change because it threatens the established order of things. Sometimes loving yourself means losing the love of the people who loved the self you did not love before.

That´s true, but, if you do the cost-benefit analysis, you´ll know that it was worth it. I don´t think there is such thing as an "old and new" self. It is just you, but with different needs. At the end of the process, you´ll stay with the people who really love you.

I agree with you on that respect, but, it´s too bad that some people can´t understand that the change of patterns only serves a need for personal growth. Those people will stop loving you. The others, will stay by your side. That happened to me as well.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
This is just nothing more than existential guilt. When the wishes of the self are in conflict with the wished of the group or the other. This is the price we pay for consciousness.

The price we pay for imagination is fear. However for both guilt and fear, it can be mitigated and rationalized. Check out REBT for autopsychotherapy.

While there are many ideas about how to get over it in this thread, fundamentally there is no solution. It just one of those things that you have to deal with in life: what are your boundaries? If you have a mission in life, this can help set the boundaries.

My existential guilt solution:

In philosophy, there are 3 main branches of normative ethics. These are consequentialism, deontology and virtue ethics.

I had found myself too focused on the end. I would sacrifice myself towards approval of some sort like "the ends justify the means" etc but of course, this would create an empty shell of what I am. So complete consequentialism was no good.

Deontology is about a set of rules or principles set in the past. Kant's categorical imperative or the ten commandments etc are all problematic because they can never be applied correctly for all situation in the future. To have set rules in the past to effectively account for the future requires a sort of omniscience or a disbelief in free will. So compete deontology was no good.

I had finally found virtue ethics to be the leading principle in my life. While I do accept deontology and consequentialism, they are not the driving factors. However switching wasn't enough.

"Man has a certain pattern that makes him specifically human and no man is born without it. We are only deeply unconscious of these facts because we live all by our senses and outside of ourselves. If a man could look into himself he would discover it. And when a man discovers it, in our days, he thinks he's crazy... and he may be crazy." - Carl Jung

Jung believed that we all had this innate treasure, this pattern that was unique to every individual. And it was more than genetics, it was your experiences as well that makes you unique. Must protect this uniqueness in some way. The arts or writing is a common way. It's a step to finding meaning in your life. Existential philosophy.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just bought a book by Pema Chondron on Tonglen. Thanks Night.

I really enjoy Pema's audio books, like a quality reassurring voice.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That´s true, but, if you do the cost-benefit analysis, you´ll know that it was worth it. I don´t think there is such thing as an "old and new" self. It is just you, but with different needs. At the end of the process, you´ll stay with the people who really love you.

Well, yes, of course -- it's still all the same "self," isn't it?

I was using "old" and "new":
  • For the sake of communication -- you have to label the two different expressions of self SOMEHOW, just to talk about the differing periods of one's life.
  • Because the people who disapprove will definitely categorize you that way -- they like the "old" you and don't want the "new " you. I've found they are very apt to make such a distinction.

And yes, since the potential for loss exists, you will do whichever is most beneficial long-term, based on the cost/benefit analysis. People typically don't change until the pain/penalty of staying is worse than the fear/penalty of embracing change.

I agree with you on that respect, but, it´s too bad that some people can´t understand that the change of patterns only serves a need for personal growth. Those people will stop loving you. The others, will stay by your side. That happened to me as well.

Yes, that is a good way to sum it up. :)

Change is actually the essence of the world and NOT stability. Only dead things do not change; Life by nature changes.

Pattern changes thus do really signify personal growth, but for those who are more hung up on a particular outcome and want to cling to it (a counterfeit stability), they're sort of choking the life from the living being they're trying to freeze in place.

I wish people were more willing to view change as growth rather than loss.

As I was writing above, about the cost-benefit analysis, along these same lines, I was thinking how sad it was that so often change is determined based on a negative assessment ("Which option provides the least amount of pain and loss?") rather than a positive assessment ("Which option provides for the most amount of joy and maturation?"). Still, the punishment that often comes along with self-change and maturation often forced one into trying to minimize damage/pain rather than maximize good/joy.

I was also trying to think of people I dislike, and there are a few. I saw a guest on a talk show who was a raving Randroid, mind-numbingly elitist, and arrogant to boot. I actively disliked him, but I can guarantee he wouldn't care or be hurt in the slightest. I think he causes harm and has tunnel vision. However if he had life experiences and changed that front, I wouldn't continue a grudge. I suppose I can honestly say that there are no people I dislike, but there are certain behaviors I do not accept, those that cause harm especially if they are irrational and dishonest.

I feel sort of similar to what you are saying here. I've realized there are a few people I dislike, but it's really more I just don't like how they choose to relate to others. I can even get really upset, depending on the scenario, but I'm not really capable of holding a grudge (which would suggest I dislike/hate the actual person themselves); as soon as they relate to people differently I'm open again no matter what they've done in the past. I guess I never understood how some people can just cut others out regardless of how they change, etc., and personalize the disagreement that way. Maybe that is one reason why I wanted to please people... to avoid being cut out permanently no matter who I became.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Most people seem to simply like those who like them. That always struck me as rather lacking in discrimination. What is the reason for it (beyond the obvious one of basing one's self-esteem on the opinions of others)?

Ditto.

wolfy

awsm
Most people seem to simply like those who like them. That always struck me as rather lacking in discrimination. What is the reason for it (beyond the obvious one of basing one's self-esteem on the opinions of others)?

Time efficiency. And how could I not like someone with such good taste?

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think it's related to the fear of Death. Most people feel that they will cease to exist if other people don't appreciate/value/care for them. They are wrong.

Do we die when our bodies die or when we stop mattering to anyone? How are we different from an inanimate object if we aren't affecting others?