User Tag List

123 Last

Default Why is violence so prevalent in Western culture?

Why is violence so prevalent in Western culture? Sure, there will always be disagreements which turn into fist fights or an occasional shooting. But more and more frequently, we hear about people trying to resolve their problems at school by shooting it up, or their family problems by killing their family. It seems that the violence is being escalated even beyond what an out-of-control angry person would do. Often, these incidents involve at least some planning ahead of time.

It has gone beyond natural rage.

I think this at least partially explains it, especially the mention at the end about most people learning reflection, empathy, and identifying with others. I think technology often plays a large role in stunting the development of these because it holds our attention often for long periods of time, limiting our social interactions. In fact, it often replaces our interpersonal interactions with artificial surrogates which have no relevance to interpersonal reality.

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

availability heuristic

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Here are some reasons why you see more violence now than in previous decades:

The breakup of the traditional family unit. This means children increasingly grow up without good role models, especially fathers
    Music and movies that espouse violence (along with other antisocial behaviour)
    A general loss of community and social cohesion
    Neo-Marxist culture, which tells people that they are fine however they are and normalises degenerate behaviour
    Better reporting of violent crime, and more public exposure of criminals

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy Comeback Girl's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    yolo Ni

Prevalent compared to which cultures? I think violence is pretty prevalent in most cultures, the only thing that makes Western culture different compared to other cultures (when it comes to violence) would be the outrageous colonialism back in the day. But even colonialism isn't something purely Western; China did it too! So as far as I know colonialism is something Europeans and Asians do. Now what do Europeans and Asians have in common? When their ancestors left Africa, they had sex with Neanderthals and now both Europeans AND Asians have a bit of Neanderthal DNA. Neanderthals were assholes (close-minded, xenophobic, violent, everything), so let's say violence is prevalent in Western culture because we're part Neanderthal.
    Ewww is the new sexy

Hi! Ask me things, maybe I'll answer them! Just click here

And here's my functions: Se-Te-Fi-Fe-Ni-Ti-Ne-Si

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm not surprised by this study. Children copy what they see after all. When I was a kid I learned a few bad words from soap operas and wanted to try them out. Good thing the adults corrected me immediately and told me it was not okay. I think it matters whether violent behaviors shown on tv are condoned (directly or indirectly), so this is why I think it's really NOT okay to show violent characters as heroes -- especially in programs for young kids.

Don't think it's limited to Western culture, though.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Western society is not our "natural habitat" and some people show more symptoms because of it..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

Violence has always been prevalent in human history, but the majority of us think it's a bad thing. Still, watching people fight - real or fake, gives the lot of us a thrill. We are also taught indirectly that violence is what gets the job done, no matter the cause. The only way to completely eliminate violence is through extreme propagation and discipline, and I don't think that's a good enough idea to spend that much energy on.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Comeback Girl View Post
    Prevalent compared to which cultures? I think violence is pretty prevalent in most cultures, the only thing that makes Western culture different compared to other cultures (when it comes to violence) would be the outrageous colonialism back in the day. But even colonialism isn't something purely Western; China did it too! So as far as I know colonialism is something Europeans and Asians do. Now what do Europeans and Asians have in common? When their ancestors left Africa, they had sex with Neanderthals and now both Europeans AND Asians have a bit of Neanderthal DNA. Neanderthals were assholes (close-minded, xenophobic, violent, everything), so let's say violence is prevalent in Western culture because we're part Neanderthal.
    The civilisations that conquered only did because they had the creativity, ethic and resources to overpower their neighbours.

And FTR: Blacks have been enslaving other blacks in Africa ever since the black race formed tends of thousands of years ago, and they are still doing it today. Africa is the most violent continent in the world. If your hypothesis was right then the Neanderthals must've been civilising influences.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

The USA: "God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives.

We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

Plus for the younger generation breeding a few psychos here and there, the pressure of "being popular" in this country, can lead loners who can't make friends to do naughty things.

But I'm sure there's violence everywhere. And WAY WAY worse. America just gets blown out of proportion cuz "We're number 1, We're number 1!!!" We can't possible have violence issues!!!
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Why is violence so prevalent in Western culture?
    You must not be familiar with Hong Kong movies. Or Korean movies, for that matter.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz