User Tag List

First 567

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
    here is a link with info on violent crime statistics in the US since 1960. a bunch of charts for individual crimes too. while it's great things have gotten better since the peak in the 90s if we go back a few decades we can see crime has increased quite a lot overall.
    You're not looking at all of the data. There was an uptick in violence starting in the 60s, through the early 90s, but I'll get that in a bit. The likelihood that someone will be murdered (murder includes war for the purposes of this post) in their lifetime is less than 10 in 100,000. That varies from country to country. It's obviously a lot higher in places like Iraq, but in Sweden, the number is about 1 in 100,000. In the US, it's something like 4 in 100,000. This murder rate has been steadily falling for the last 5,000-10,000 years. The murder rate in prehistoric societies (hunter-gatherer types) is estimated to be around 500 in 100,000 based upon based upon skeletal remains from that time period. Medieval societies had a murder rate of around 50 to 100 per 100,000. If you look at the general trend of violence throughout history, there is a clear decline. It hasn't always declined. Just like there are "warm years" in the temperature record, there are periods where violence did increase, but those were temporary. If you're interested in some explanations for why this is happening, I recommend Steven Pinker's book: The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined. It's not a perfect book, but it puts forth some pretty good ideas as to why violence is declining.

As for the uptick in violence in the mid-late 20th century, leaded gasoline is the culprit. The evidence for this is overwhelming. I won't go into the details in this post because there are a couple articles on the subject that explain it better than I ever could.

How Lead Caused America's Violent Crime Epidemic - Forbes

America's Real Criminal Element: Lead | Mother Jones
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Even L.A. is considerably less violent than the 90s. It astounds me occasionally when people who (and I have lived here less than five years myself) live in some 90s gangsta rap fantasy of our dangerous L A....it's like wtf bro that was twenty years ago...not to say there is not violence here, but it seems to mostly be related to hit and run pedestrian fatalities, the stupid police, and those two losers whose names should be forgotten just to spite them who shot up Santa Monica and the airport. And the population of Los Angeles has actually grown, even while seeing a decrease in both violence and pollution.

I do think the internet and DNA testing and cell phones are partly to thank for less dark creepy places to do things like randomly kill. People think twice about getting caught.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    I don't think it is something only to Western society... but rather just plain old over crowding. Too many people making trouble, causes anger. (fighting over territory, you know)

But this guy did a study on it, John B. Calhoun. Further reading for more detail by reading this: Behavioral sink.

Oh and this too Genetics of aggression
    Aggression and the "Warrior gene"[edit]
    A version of the monoamine oxidase-A gene has been popularly referred to as the warrior gene. Several different versions of the gene are found in different individuals, although a functional gene is present in most humans (with the exception of a few individuals with Brunner syndrome).[16] In the variant, the allele associated with behavioural traits is shorter (30 bases) and may produce less MAO-A enzyme.[17] This gene variation is in a regulatory promoter region about 1000 bases from the start of the region that encodes the MAO-A enzyme.

The frequency distribution of variants of the MAO-A gene differs between ethnic groups.[17][18] 59% of Black men, 54% of Chinese men, 56% of Maori men, and 34% of Caucasian men carry the 3R allele. 5.5% of Black men, 0.1% of Caucasian men, and 0.00067% of Asian men carry the 2R allele.[6][17][18][19][20][21][22][23][24][25]
    Hmm...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Im pretty sure that's what ISTP was talking about ^^^^^

MBTI
    Enfj
    Enneagram
    7w8 so
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Violence is so prominent because we love violence we.do not know how to talk to people right and also because of the people we look up to

Quote Originally Posted by draon9 View Post
    Violence is so prominent because we love violence we.do not know how to talk to people right and also because of the people we look up to
    "We" do?

MBTI
    Enfj
    Enneagram
    7w8 so
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

When I mwan we you should know I do not mean wveryone but un the back of a lot of peoples mind even my own we love violemce we love hatred and it seems that a. Lot of us will do anything to get what we want to happen it scares us but we love chaos