User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
    i know this is also what i've been told about standards of living when i have been in the developing world. namely, that being middle-class in the US is the equivalent–literally–of living like royalty in nepal. usually, we are told violence is higher where there is greater poverty but in the US we don't realize how much we have compared to the rest of the world and still have high levels of violence for a developed country. so, we have wealth from a global perspective and high levels of violence for the developed world.
    There is absolute poverty and relative poverty. All signs point to social equality being an important factor in both individual happiness and social peace. In other words, the greater the gap between rich and poor the more discontent, violence and crime you get.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

"In one study of 4,462 military veterans, those with high testosterone levels had been in more trouble with the law, been more violent, and racked up an unusually large number of sexual partners."

"Daly and Wilson pointed out that most violence has to do with status and mates - especially the lack thereof. In one study of Detroit homicides, 41% of the perpetrators were unemployed, and 73% were unmarried."

From "The Rational Animal" by Kenrick and Griskevicius

So it's desperate young people with large balls who are the problem.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    So it's desperate young people with large balls who are the problem.
    In sociology and evolutionary psychology it's known as young male syndrome.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    There is absolute poverty and relative poverty. All signs point to social equality being an important factor in both individual happiness and social peace. In other words, the greater the gap between rich and poor the more discontent, violence and crime you get.
    Yes, this appears to be true. And the most unequal nation in the developed world is the USA, which is also the most violent.

So much so, violence is valorised with guns.

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
    MBTI
    RAD

Just two hundred years ago, death toll was up 10x times.

that's three generations.

Even with our shootings and occasional gun-me-downs, we are still having a smaller deathtoll than a hundred years ago.

Two hundred years ago, if someone acted inappropriately, I might take my axe and do him a welcoming visit. Not speaking of high society here.
    Open for interpretation.
    Jo
    Fell for the temptation: Nohari / Johari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    Just two hundred years ago, death toll was up 10x times.

Maybe three optimistic lifetimes ago, but that is more like eight generations in the sense that word is normally used in such a context (1 generation = roughly 25 years).
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
    MBTI
    RAD

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring
    [quote name="Serendipity" post=2340371]Just two hundred years ago, death toll was up 10x times.

Maybe three optimistic lifetimes ago, but that is more like eight generations in the sense that word is normally used in such a context (1 generation = roughly 25 years).[/quote]

Ah, cool, I had no idea how to use that word correctly! thanks!
    Open for interpretation.
    Jo
    Fell for the temptation: Nohari / Johari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

My ISTP was explaining it to me his way, that I thought might hold weight. He has a book called Pronoia or something like that but basically it disputes our culture of paranoia with facts and one of the biggest things is how strongly the.murder rate has gone down as humans have progressed, we are much less likely to be murdered than our ancestors and he was talking about how people mostly are smart enough to focus their violence into things like sports and movies and S/M or whatever but some people just aren't and they would have been warriors 500 years ago but now they're lost in the parking lot of life and feel confined so shoot people in schools and airports.

I honestly thought he was making a lot of sense. I mean christ I.used to walk off of school campus alone so I wouldn't snap and hit some one or start crying.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Western society is not our "natural habitat" and some people show more symptoms because of it..
    Yeah basically that, and what @Comeback Girl said.

There is no fictional fifties. I learned by studying the great depression that a lot of that shit is the Hollywood illusion.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    You have seen my pics. I bet I am a good five years younger than you. Never assume that somebody holds a particular view based on their age; not all Millennials are lemmings.

In reality popular culture glorifies violence, especially through music (negro/ghetto music such as rap, as well as the various types of metal) and films. The amount of violence in recent movies (90s onward) is a lot higher than in old ones as well. The James Bond franchise is a good example - compare the Sean Connery and Roger Moore era films to more recent ones.
    Did you really just say negro music? Yeah sure you're totally Gen Y, you aren't 72 at all.

I think I am starting to feel the problem with you. As an INTJ your inner SFP wants to be retro and hip and your Te took a nosedive somewhere in racist sexist backwoods squaresville. Next time try a little more Sam Spade and a lot less Archie Bunker.