User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    popular culture is filled with violence.
    There is a big difference between violence on the screen and actual violence.

And most of the violence on the screen is choreographed. It is a stylised violence for entertainment, while real violence makes most of us sick. So they won't show real violence on the screen.

here is a link with info on violent crime statistics in the US since 1960. a bunch of charts for individual crimes too. while it's great things have gotten better since the peak in the 90s if we go back a few decades we can see crime has increased quite a lot overall.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Because western culture is a culture of perceived scarcity and violence is a reaction to competition for resources.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

So you've heard of shooting up a school, but apparently you've never heard of "knifing up" a school which occurs in China.

School attacks in China (2010
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy Comeback Girl's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    yolo Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I read somewhere that Neanderthals may in fact have been matriarchal and less violent than homo sapiens sapiens (though the source was a tad questionable)
    Somewhere I read that they were extremely xenophobic, hated outsiders. This might be an interesting read (don't know how reliable this is though): Garret LoPorto: Surprising Way Your Neanderthal Genes May Affect You
    Ewww is the new sexy

Hi! Ask me things, maybe I'll answer them! Just click here

And here's my functions: Se-Te-Fi-Fe-Ni-Ti-Ne-Si

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    Because western culture is a culture of perceived scarcity and violence is a reaction to competition for resources.
    it's only "perceived" this way by the middle class and rich. if you live in poverty (which many do), it can be incredibly treacherous and scarce of resources.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    it's only "perceived" this way by the middle class and rich. if you live in poverty (which many do), it can be incredibly treacherous and scarce of resources.
    This is true. Since I'm in the U.S. and coming from that perspective, if this article and this article are correct, then even our poor are better off, as far as resources go, than most of the rest of the poor in the world, and even better off than many of the well-off in some countries.

However, I'll change what I said to "Because western culture is a culture of real and perceived scarcity and violence is a reaction to competition for resources." so it'll be more accurate.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    This is true. Since I'm in the U.S. and coming from that perspective, if this article and this article are correct, then even our poor are better off, as far as resources go, than most of the rest of the poor in the world, and even better off than many of the well-off in some countries.

However, I'll change what I said to "Because western culture is a culture of real and perceived scarcity and violence is a reaction to competition for resources." so it'll be more accurate.
    i know this is also what i've been told about standards of living when i have been in the developing world. namely, that being middle-class in the US is the equivalent–literally–of living like royalty in nepal. usually, we are told violence is higher where there is greater poverty but in the US we don't realize how much we have compared to the rest of the world and still have high levels of violence for a developed country. so, we have wealth from a global perspective and high levels of violence for the developed world.

Quote Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
    i know this is also what i've been told about standards of living when i have been in the developing world. namely, that being middle-class in the US is the equivalent–literally–of living like royalty in nepal. usually, we are told violence is higher where there is greater poverty but in the US we don't realize how much we have compared to the rest of the world and still have high levels of violence for a developed country. so, we have wealth from a global perspective and high levels of violence for the developed world.
    And in particular, you have high levels of gun violence.

And it's a peculiar combination, commented on by your President, and that is the combination of christianity and guns.

And no wonder for -

At the Last Supper Jesus said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.”

—Luke 22:36, NIV

And whenever I don't know what to do, I ask, what would Jesus do today? And I know he wouldn't tell me to buy a sword, but perhaps he might recommend a brand new assault rifle.

MBTI
    INTJ

It doesn't seem to be that prevalent in real life, to me. Are school shootings and things like that more common? Sure, but they also provide a ton of attention now and the idea is common knowledge. However, I find it extremely difficult to believe that things like assault are more common now. You can't even get into a fist fight in a public place now without going to jail, when that used to be much more common place. I think that media sensationalism and fear mongering make it seem much worse than it is. Even the statistics are hard to take seriously because I highly doubt that aggravated assault was reported in 1960 like it is today.

Honestly, how often do most of the people here even see something as basic as a person getting punched in real life?
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume