User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    As to why we're so violent here... I'd say it's a mixture of sociopaths, people with anger issues, mentally ill, apathetic citizens, misguided youth, drugs, and socioeconomic statuses.
    Hey, hey, you have forgotten guns.

I frequented a wine bar called, The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire as We Know It Today, and naturally we projected the fall of Rome onto the West today.

It was a delicious form of schadenfreude, a secret form of knowledge, a gnosis, denied to our fellow citizens, who believed things were getting better and better.

And we believed that the ones who were better than our fellow citizens were us.

Until Pogo the Possum told us, We have met the enemy, and the enemy is us.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Hey, hey, you have forgotten guns.
    We just differ on that one my friend.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Aggressive Personality Linked To Testicle Size

Dr. Xing Wang made the connection after studying inmates in a maximum security prison in the Hang Dong province of China. He noticed that men who were being held for violent crimes, were 69% more likely to have enlarged testicles.
    Does this mean that Western men have bigger balls than other people? Perhaps.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    I'm not surprised by this study. Children copy what they see after all. When I was a kid I learned a few bad words from soap operas and wanted to try them out. Good thing the adults corrected me immediately and told me it was not okay. I think it matters whether violent behaviors shown on tv are condoned (directly or indirectly), so this is why I think it's really NOT okay to show violent characters as heroes -- especially in programs for young kids.

Don't think it's limited to Western culture, though.
    years ago i remember reading about a study that said if kids had good parental role models then they aren't really affected by the violence they see on TV i.e. it didn't cause them to become more violent. if the kids didn't have good parental role models then the violence on tv did have an effect on the kids level of violence. that sort of goes with what you are saying and i'd agree because my parents taught us good values and violence on tv did not have one iota of difference on my levels of aggression.

while there are probably many factors that affect our rates of violent i think what one is taught & modeled by their parents is one the biggest, if not the biggest, factor. while violent crime in the US has gone down since the highest levels in the 90s it is still much higher than it was say in the 50s. when you hear reports in the US of violent crime declining they are only in relation to the peak in the 90s. overall it has gone way up.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Human nature.

/thread.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Comeback Girl View Post
    Prevalent compared to which cultures? I think violence is pretty prevalent in most cultures, the only thing that makes Western culture different compared to other cultures (when it comes to violence) would be the outrageous colonialism back in the day. But even colonialism isn't something purely Western; China did it too! So as far as I know colonialism is something Europeans and Asians do. Now what do Europeans and Asians have in common? When their ancestors left Africa, they had sex with Neanderthals and now both Europeans AND Asians have a bit of Neanderthal DNA. Neanderthals were assholes (close-minded, xenophobic, violent, everything), so let's say violence is prevalent in Western culture because we're part Neanderthal.
    I read somewhere that Neanderthals may in fact have been matriarchal and less violent than homo sapiens sapiens (though the source was a tad questionable)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Well testicle size is dependent on T levels, which influence aggression. This study makes sense as far as prison inmates are concerned. The problem is, the average free testosterone levels of men have been declining in Western countries for the last fifty years. I believe that I, and other men of my generation, are substantially less masculine than those who have preceded us - not just in mentality but in appearance. The inverse is true for women. The population appears to be becoming more androgynous.

Therefore, other explanations need to be sought for an increase in violence if there is one.

I actually don't see any evidence that violent crime is increasing. What I do see, however, is such activity being indirectly encouraged.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
    years ago i remember reading about a study that said if kids had good parental role models then they aren't really affected by the violence they see on TV i.e. it didn't cause them to become more violent. if the kids didn't have good parental role models then the violence on tv did have an effect on the kids level of violence. that sort of goes with what you are saying and i'd agree because my parents taught us good values and violence on tv did not have one iota of difference on my levels of aggression.

while there are probably many factors that affect our rates of violent i think what one is taught & modeled by their parents is one the biggest, if not the biggest, factor. while violent crime in the US has gone down since the highest levels in the 90s it is still much higher than it was say in the 50s. when you hear reports in the US of violent crime declining they are only in relation to the peak in the 90s. overall it has gone way up.
    That's interesting. I believe the rise of violence is more closely linked to broken families more than violent media. Individualism is another thing. While individualism in itself is a good thing, I think a lot of unguided youths are raised with the "me-first" mindset, which might have something to do with being prone to violence as well.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    You have seen my pics. I bet I am a good five years younger than you. Never assume that somebody holds a particular view based on their age; not all Millennials are lemmings.

In reality popular culture glorifies violence, especially through music (negro/ghetto music such as rap, as well as the various types of metal) and films. The amount of violence in recent movies (90s onward) is a lot higher than in old ones as well. The James Bond franchise is a good example - compare the Sean Connery and Roger Moore era films to more recent ones.
    I was joking I know what you look like. I'm one of the last people to assume age means much of anything, beyond maybe allowing you more chance to experience, but not necessarily that you will have experience. Quality over quantity every time. Also biology.

Disclaimer this next bit is probably going to be TLDR but it's hard to break my view into a simple set of statements.

And yes popular culture is filled with violence. James bond is a good example, although even the older movie's from the 60's onwards are filled with casual violence and usually bad puns.

Although violence has always been a part of humanity, just looking at history alone. Is it that people have a notion of what it means to be civilised? And they are shocked when the reality of human nature's darker aspects comes rearing its head, contradicting their assumptions about what a so-called enlightened society should be like.

I'm not necessarily saying humans are violent by nature, although our evolution is against us, but I think mainly it is the pressure cooker of many different elements socially, economically, religiously and politically that when pushed together tend to clash. But that's also natural for opposing forces in general and often they aren't even really opposing, so much as similar drives under the guise of a different context and label. This is also not a new issue for our world, it goes on all the time; that pushing of various forces and interests until one is assimilated or destroyed and another emerges victorious or evolves.

In essence one of the most damaging notions is of tolerance. Tolerance implies something should be put up with, like a nuisance such as a fly in the house. But the reality is that we need to be able to progress beyond this attachment to I and mine, to fight against our own ignorance and ingrained habits. This goes for everywhere from my perspective, not just western countries.

It starts with a change of approach and attitude towards what we expect from the world. There are so many important issues with regards to just our continued existence for violence to be a singular issue in and of itself.

But these are just words and observations, action is more valuable I think and something I'm lacking in.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.