User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata View Post
    availability heuristic
    I agree, that's a significant factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Here are some reasons why you see more violence now than in previous decades:

The breakup of the traditional family unit. This means children increasingly grow up without good role models, especially fathers
    Music and movies that espouse violence (along with other antisocial behaviour)
    A general loss of community and social cohesion
    Neo-Marxist culture, which tells people that they are fine however they are and normalises degenerate behaviour
    Better reporting of violent crime, and more public exposure of criminals
    Good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Comeback Girl View Post
    Prevalent compared to which cultures? I think violence is pretty prevalent in most cultures, the only thing that makes Western culture different compared to other cultures (when it comes to violence) would be the outrageous colonialism back in the day.
    Prevalent compared to what we would expect in an imperfect Western culture--a mass shooting once a year or so? Or am I asking too much? I'm just limiting things to Western culture for simplicity and because that's what most of us are most familiar with.

When their ancestors left Africa, they had sex with Neanderthals
    I think I saw an old 80's movie about that once...

Neanderthals were assholes (close-minded, xenophobic, violent, everything)
    You just insulted my great x 10^34 grandfather.

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    I'm not surprised by this study. Children copy what they see after all. When I was a kid I learned a few bad words from soap operas and wanted to try them out. Good thing the adults corrected me immediately and told me it was not okay. I think it matters whether violent behaviors shown on tv are condoned (directly or indirectly), so this is why I think it's really NOT okay to show violent characters as heroes -- especially in programs for young kids.

Don't think it's limited to Western culture, though.
    Good point about how the violent behavior is portrayed (unacceptable vs. normal).

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Western society is not our "natural habitat" and some people show more symptoms because of it..
    Good point. Caged animals are under more pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    The USA: "God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes,
    I wondered about advertising myself. I think it does often have a side effect of directing our thoughts and goals onto things which matter less. That results in less self-reflection and empathy.

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    You must not be familiar with Hong Kong movies. Or Korean movies, for that matter.
    Ha ha! I'm just trying to limit the scope for the sake of simplifying the discussion.

The fact is that tribal and medieval societies were far more violent than modern societies.

And it is our parochialism and our narcissism that makes us think our society is more violent.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Here are some reasons why you see more violence now than in previous decades:

The breakup of the traditional family unit. This means children increasingly grow up without good role models, especially fathers
    Neo-Marxist culture, which tells people that they are fine however they are and normalises degenerate behaviour
    Better reporting of violent crime, and more public exposure of criminals
    Are you 72 and chasing kids off your lawn just after you typed this?

Although the last point is one of the bigger issues, in the sense of glorification. Sensationalism which begets attention while trivialising the victims of such crimes.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

People are violent by nature.

That being said, we are less violent now than we have ever been in the past.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post

I wonder, though - with the current civil war in Syria, and high tensions between Russians and Ukrainians (or even between Israelis and Palestinians) - could things get worse over time?
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Are you 72 and chasing kids off your lawn just after you typed this?

Although the last point is one of the bigger issues, in the sense of glorification. Sensationalism which begets attention while trivialising the victims of such crimes.
    You have seen my pics. I bet I am a good five years younger than you. Never assume that somebody holds a particular view based on their age; not all Millennials are lemmings.

In reality popular culture glorifies violence, especially through music (negro/ghetto music such as rap, as well as the various types of metal) and films. The amount of violence in recent movies (90s onward) is a lot higher than in old ones as well. The James Bond franchise is a good example - compare the Sean Connery and Roger Moore era films to more recent ones.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post

I disagree with that.

There have been periods throughout history, even quite recent history, where people have been more disciplined than they are now. 1930 - 1965 and 1860 - 1914 are examples that I can think of. I view culture, in fact societies in general, as cyclical rather than directional, and believe that there are a few fundamental constants (human nature) which can't be broken.

The left, by contrast, believe that society has a fixed direction, which will end at a utopia where there will be no distinctions between people. I guess everybody will sit down and smoke weed at that point.

I disagree with that.

There have been periods throughout history, even quite recent history, where people have been more disciplined than they are now. 1930 - 1965 and 1860 - 1914 are examples that I can think of. I view culture, in fact societies in general, as cyclical rather than directional, and believe that there are a few fundamental constants (human nature) which can't be broken.

The left, by contrast, believe that society has a fixed direction, which will end at a utopia where there will be no distinctions between people. I guess everybody will sit down and smoke weed at that point.
    Societies that have achieved universal literacy are teleological, that is, they have a direction.

On the other hand societies that only have a spoken culture are cyclical.

What is of interest at the present moment is that our literate culture is now becoming the content of our electric culture. Typology Central is the perfect example of this as you are now reading electronic text, that is, literacy as the content of the electric medium

What this means is that we now have a teleological culture as the content of electric culture. And interestingly, the electric culture is cyclical.

How can we understand this?

Well we have been here before in that the manuscript became the content of the print culture; and the theatre became the content of the movies, and so on.

This has occurred time and time again so we can draw the general principal that the content of any culture is the previous culture.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Id say this is a bit colored.. sometimes I feel like my city is the most violent city in America if I watch the local news too much. It's just sort of the way it goes--we don't see the local news and all the little things that go on in other countries so we think we're the only ones acting that way. It really isn't true.

I'd say the middle east, and parts of Africa have us beat in violence by far.

As to why we're so violent here... I'd say it's a mixture of sociopaths, people with anger issues, mentally ill, apathetic citizens, misguided youth, drugs, and socioeconomic statuses.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I'd generally agree with these as well. Even in low economic environments, a close tightly-knit community can alleviate a lot of violence and criminal acts in their own area. Urban areas sort of lose this out of necessity--it's hard to be networked with that sheer mass of people.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge