User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4/9

Default No Self Esteem Left

I've faltered and my self-esteem has depleted and I've lost all hope for myself and I feel my ambition, drive, determination, and passion slipping away. What would you do if you were where I'm at other than go see a therapist.
    Hip! Hip! BOO!

Take antidepressants or kill myself (cry-for-help option available).

Why no therapist?

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Do you have a support system (friends, family etc.)?
    Night is another candle

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I dealt with it alone (and/or with friends and fam) until my 30's, then saw a therapist.

Part of your answer will depend on why you are depressed. If it's situational, change your situation.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4/9

I can't see a therapist because I'm scared and broke, I have family and friends I can tell cause I don't want them to worry about me too much, strangers I know won't worry about me much, and the anti-depressants sound like a good idea.
    Hip! Hip! BOO!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Cryonium View Post
    I can't see a therapist because I'm scared and broke, I have family and friends I can tell cause I don't want them to worry about me too much, strangers I know won't worry about me much, and the anti-depressants sound like a good idea.
    The first thing, as Jennifer has said, is to work out why you are depressed (and you don't have to tell us that). And don't rely on family for emotional support. IME family members can be completely clueless about and unsympathetic to depression.

Regardless, you can see some therapists in the public system, but you will need a referral from your doctor and the waiting lists are long. The other problem is that you may not have a choice about who you can see, and most therapists are women. From my experience, female therapists cannot relate to many of the issues young men face in society, so request to see a man if you choose this option.

As for private therapists, they charge ridiculously high prices. You could buy a dozen of the most expensive beers in the supermarket for the price of one session...

Also, how old are you? I am not sure what it's like in other countries but in NZ we have something called Youthline where people under 25 can just ring up someone and talk, vent even. Talking to other guys who are supportive has helped me a lot, even if I can't see them. It is completely anonymous as well.

Few doctors recommend taking anti-depressant medication on its own as opposed to in combination with some kind of behavioural therapy. Taking medication may augment the effects, though I am concerned with the side effect profiles of all of the anti-depressant classes. For one, they can kill your sex drive.

If it is serious, families are usually happy to worry about a relative. Being scared to see a therapist is in itself a good indication that seeing a therapist would be a good idea. I do not know how to address the cost issue, but I reckon there are people on the forum who do. Given that being broke might prevent you from seeking help, I assume you live in the US?

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Join Ventrilo.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4/9

I am a 19 year old gay black male in the US depressed cause I can never get a relationship or interest. Having no sex drive might make me happier, another reason for anti-depressants
    Hip! Hip! BOO!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I've faltered and my self-esteem has depleted and I've lost all hope for myself and I feel my ambition, drive, determination, and passion slipping away. What would you do if you were where I'm at other than go see a therapist.
    Life is like the ocean. As children, we start at the bottom and are excited to see the light of the sun and become an adult as we reach the surface.

Then we become an adult and realize everyone is treading water and trying not to drown. They cling and climb to one another for another 5 seconds of oxygen. Some give up and sink.

Few, however learn how to fly out of the water, and those people are feared by those who tread water because they invalidate everything the others currently understand about the universe.

Seek the darkness. Find your pit of despair. Face it. You are treading water and now is your time to learn the truth about existence.

For me I spoke to god for the first time. Some think I am insane. Sometimes I think I am also insane and that I have been unplugged from the matrix. I hope you find your way my friend.