User Tag List

First 456

Results 51 to 59 of 59

  1. #51
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,483

    Default

    I have a tendency to introject, be it with man or woman when a point comes up. And for me a point is just something I want to comment on, often besides the point in typical Ne style. But then I turn the conversation over again. Actually, it does seem that certain people are surprised when I do hand it back, as if they are expecting me to pontificate for a long time. They tend to be women.

  2. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I would like to point out that people's reports of their own interrupting of others isn't exactly I suppose you're right objective.
    .

  3. #53
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    I rarely interrupt anyone unless I'm drunk.

    However, I rarely listen to what anyone else is saying, usually because I am thinking of something else and most conversation is not worth listening to.

  4. #54
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    oh @wolfy you slay me...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  5. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    oh @wolfy you slay me...
    lol. It is true what you said, it is hardest to understand ourselves. I think there is a lot of truth that the flaws we see in others are in ourselves. For example I noticed how I dislike non commitment from friends, then noticed how I do that. My solution was to let friends off the hook. Either than working on myself.

  6. #56
    The Typing Tabby grey_beard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Not a lot. Mainly with this ESTJ I know who is an awful listener. I think he likely does it to other men too, but just ones not in authority above him. I've had a lot of ESFJ women do this to me also. Sometimes I think they just don't follow me and want to cut short what they deem irrelevant babble.

    Because I am often very quiet, I can also experience the opposite. It will be like, "Wait! She's finally going to speak! Everyone hush!". That can be kind of embarrassing...

    I actually have a problem with interrupting people because I grew up in a family where this was the norm. If you DON'T interrupt, then it can seem like you're not that "into" what someone is saying. It's expected to get excited and have such an overflow of ideas that you inject a lot spontaneously. You also won't get a word in edge-wise if you don't keep up to their speed. Somehow we have a pretty good feel for when an okay moment to interrupt comes in, so that it just feels like a very fast back & forth, and you can finish your point at the next turn if need be.
    This is how the internet differs from real life. In chat rooms / forums such as this, *all* the conversations are disjointed; but because you can read the posts one at a time at your leisure (even weeks later, or more!) before responding, and indeed, by quoting, can select just which portion of which post one is responding to, one need not 'interrupt' to get in a word edgewise: but the cost is that among those who *are* conversing in real time, coming in later (as I tend to do) means one's views are often ignored...even if significant, they are no longer "timely" or "relevant" (to the emotions of the other participants).
    (Sighs)
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

    Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

  7. #57
    Senior Member Ene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Not a lot. Mainly with this ESTJ I know who is an awful listener. I think he likely does it to other men too, but just ones not in authority above him. I've had a lot of ESFJ women do this to me also. Sometimes I think they just don't follow me and want to cut short what they deem irrelevant babble...
    I laughed when I read your post, because every ESTJ and ESFJ I know in real life cuts me off, walks off in mid conversation or totally turns around and starts talking to someone else while I'm still explaining a process that they've asked me to explain or answering a question that they've asked me. It's not a gender thing as both genders seem to do it, equally. The worst ever at it is my aunt, the cop. Even her police chief told her she was too "curt." So, she called me, "Am I curt?" Before I had time to answer she was ranting about how she wasn't curt, but of course, she is-very.

    I don't think that men interrupt me more than women. I think it's more personality related than gender. As far as me interrupting others, I do it sometimes, not too often. I more likely to zone out while they're talking to me. So, I suppose I interrupt mentally.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

  8. #58
    Senior Member Ene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    But the cost is that among those who *are* conversing in real time, coming in later (as I tend to do) means one's views are often ignored...even if significant, they are no longer "timely" or "relevant" (to the emotions of the other participants).
    (Sighs)

    I absolutely know what that's like!
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

  9. #59
    The Typing Tabby grey_beard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    I absolutely know what that's like!
    Well done AGAIN, cuz!
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

    Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

Similar Threads

  1. Men and women respond differently to danger
    By NewEra in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-30-2009, 09:52 PM
  2. How are you being treated by men and women of different age (and why?)
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-29-2009, 03:01 PM
  3. Men (and women!) of Mystery
    By cm08 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-27-2009, 06:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO