User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Nope, haven't experienced this. But then, I'm not a chatterbox.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Very much so, the respect that men and women show men is noticeably greater for me than what both men and women show women, esp in the business world. Some of the biggest culprits I've seen do this however are women, they refuse to stop interrupting you even if you don't yield (they were all 1s for whatever it's worth), as it's a more male thing to do they stand out for this behaviour, unlike men however they are not respected for their "take charge of the conversation" style, maybe they're just less overt about it, all I know is it does not get the same outcome to their detriment.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I haven't experienced it myself. But I find that I deal with topics in two ways: those I don't care about are everyday chit-chat and anyone is welcome to interrupt me whenever they want; and those I DO care about where I will NOT be interrupted (and if I am I will immediately steer the conversation right back to where I want by interrupting their interruption).

4w5 sp/sx EII

Permabanned

i try not to do this with anyone..it's rude and i don't like it when it's done to me.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I interrupt people, men and women. It's an old habit from when I was young. I try and watch it and I almost never get complaints, but in hindsight I can become aware of it.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    they refuse to stop interrupting you even if you don't yield (they were all 1s for whatever it's worth).
    This is a 1 thing, and there are circumstances where I will do this. It's almost always during an argument or some sort of discussion where mutual ground is not being found and I feel that my point(s) are not being heard. I will essentially (attempt to) force the other to stop talking by not yielding.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Oh goodness... the number of times I've been interrupted by my dad or brother (especially when I'm telling a story) is too many to count.
    Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible... and then some.

MY BLOGS: https://freestylelines.blogspot.com/, https://tfthdiary.blogspot.com/
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/angel_ss1
    TUMBLR: http://angelight1.tumblr.com/

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    This is a 1 thing, and there are circumstances where I will do this. It's almost always during an argument or some sort of discussion where mutual ground is not being found and I feel that my point(s) are not being heard. I will essentially (attempt to) force the other to stop talking by not yielding.
    Fair enough XD

Ofc you know the ironic position of this is if you're concentrating on what you need to say to get someone to understand... you're not paying attention to what the other person is saying and their points are not being heard which means no mutual ground can be found.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

basically what i mean is, i don't fault men for this. it's kind of encoded in them by the patterns they learn as very young boys acquiring language and social skills. and i believe that it's so unconscious that if a woman really were to assert herself, in most instances, the men would respect that and give her a voice (slight guilt might even result if the men realized the effort with which the woman had to get herself in there). the myth that women talk more has everything to do with their style of speech rather than the number of words they generate or the length of time they talk for. women take more frequent, quicker turns which might lead men (who are more prone to monologue-style speech) to perceive that a woman is talking a lot. also, women are more prone to spend words on emotional, kind of meta-conversational messages, like encouraging someone to come sit closer, or noticing a partner's reaction to something within the conversation.

An interesting expansion on the thought. It'd be interesting (and potentially useful) to quantify and distinguish the average number of words per conversation, or per day, or what have you, in the following cases:

1) woman one-on-one with another woman
    2) man one-on-one with another man
    3) woman one-on-one with a man, non-romantic partner
    4) woman one-on-one with a man, romantic partner
    5) woman in group of other women
    6) woman in mixed group, 1 man, 2 or more women
    7) woman in mixed group, 1 woman, 2 or more men
    8) woman in mixed group, 2 or more women, 2 or more men

BTW I agree that women spend much more time on emotional, meta-conversational messages; but not *just* the immediate social cues you mention, but exploring, defining, enforcing social hierarchies within whichever group is extant at the moment. Men seem to spend much more time discussing ideas (e.g. politics), plans for an immediate or proposed project, or sports.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

MBTI
    DEUS

The common view seems to be that women use more words to get the same message across. Do you think this is true? If so, it could explain why women are interrupted more often than their succinct, male counterparts.