User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Default The Scientific Definition of Introversion and Extraversion (Quiz Included)

Think you're an introvert? You're probably wrong

Based on the latest science of personality, the most common misunderstanding of the extraversion-introversion dimension is that introverts are more introspective than extroverts. In reality, introverts are not necessarily introspective and highly introspective people aren't necessarily introverted. It's not that introverts think more deeply before they speak, it's simply that they need more time to think before they speak.
    Traits such as sensitivity and social anxiety are also not part of the introversion-extraversion domain. To be sure, many people may think of themselves as introverted because they are highly sensitive. But research shows that sensory processing sensitivity is independent of introversion.
    What's more, there are lots of people who view themselves as "sensitive introverts", when they are really covert narcissists. These individuals are characterized by their sense of entitlement to social attention. Accordingly, they are hurt easily by the slightest remark of others, are hyper self conscious and self absorbed, and are frequently upset that others don't recognize their brilliance. Covert narcissism is strongly associated with neuroticism, not introversion.
    It's important to distinguish, however, between the most prominent behavioral manifestation of extraversion (desire for social attention) and the core underlying mechanism of extraversion (reward sensitivity). Even though reward sensitivity need not be limited exclusively to social situations, high reward sensitivity likely motivates extraverts to seek out potentially rewarding positive social interactions, and fuels them to display behaviors that will increase social attention (e.g., friendliness, smiling, high energy, loudness, exhibitionism, positive emotions).
    This is a fantastic article that truly defines what introversion and extroversion are, correctly, free of bias. I would go insofar as to say this is the best, and most supported article on I/E I have ever read. There are so many misconceptions on what it is and what it is not, and research has really honed what the core drives and reasons are. I highly encourage everyone to read the whole article. It gets into the nitty gritty, and they do so based off scientific research, so this isn't just anecdotal assumptions. This has the potential to clear a lot of things for some.

The quiz is at the bottom of the article, and is scaled as such (1 to 5):

If you averaged 3.0 or less, you are probably an introvert.
    If you averaged between 3.1-3.8, you're probably an ambivert.
    If you averaged 3.9 or higher, you're probably an extravert.

I scored 4.0 so it solidifies that I am indeed an extrovert.

Discuss! @highlander I think you'll like this one.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

So I'm not introverted, I'm just quiet? I'll take the test in a bit
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I got 2.2 on the E/I which was a bit of a surprise. I thought I was a socially anxious extravert. But maybe I still am and I've just inaccurately represented myself or misunderstood how I actually am.

On that covert narcissist one I scored 89 which is interesting. But if it's reliable would explain a lot.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Overall 2.6, so I am an introvert. Will have to do the other tests later.

ETA: 68 on the Narcissist Test
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

There is no right or wrong definitions, there are just different definitions that has varied a bit over time. From originally more cognitive perspective(jung) and to more behavioristic perspective(big5/eysenck etc). MBTIs definitions combines both of these aspects to some degree by trying to point out some common behavioristic traits for I/E based on more simplified cognitive perspective of jungs.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

That's an interesting viewpoint.

Socionics
    ILI

2.05 (Introvert). I thought I would score Ambivert like I usually do.

105 on Covert Narcissism.

MBTI
    yupp

got 1.85 on the i/e (i feel i'm more ambiverted, I know I'm not extroverted, no matter how many times you people tell me I am)

62 on convert narcism

so according to this i'm an introvert who is averagely narcissitic.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

I scored 3.15 (ambivert leaning towards introversion), low on enthusiasm and high on assertiveness, and my score on the covert narcissism test is 107.

So according to these folks I am off the charts narcissistic and an ambivert...

This is very helpful @Hard so thanks a lot for posting these links
    Last edited by Kullervo; 06-29-2014 at 06:23 PM.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Well so far the pattern that's being painted is that the people most likely on typology forums are both introverted and covert narcissists.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.