User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Scientific Definition of Introversion and Extraversion (Quiz Included)

Symbolic Herald Array

2.6 = introvert
    58 on the Maladaptive Covert Narcissism Scale

1.25, introvert
    53 on MCNS

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

5w4 sx

I hate doing arithmetic, so I whipped up javascript versions of the quizzes:

Introversion Quiz

Covert Narcissism

These are very lightly tested (I just threw them together), so don't necessarily trust the results. Still, seems to work for me.

My results:

Introversion: 1.90 (introverted)
    MCNS: 51 (average, almost low)

9w8 so/sx

2.7 and 54... yet I am an Extrovert, just not a very good one

Am all for people getting over the inane stereotypes of Introvert = deep thinker/introspective, Extrovert = all the things they aren't.

1w2 sp/so
    SLE Se

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

2.7 and 54... yet I am an Extrovert, just not a very good one

Am all for people getting over the inane stereotypes of Introvert = deep thinker/introspective, Extrovert = all the things they aren't.
    Me thinks you might just have a case of the lazy, ye one who hides amongst the shadows .

The studies really do kind of shake the foundation of what it means to be extroverted though. I think there's equally as many people who see themselves as extroverts but are actually introverted. A lot of it does come from the standpoint of dominance which is historically not really associated with extroversion from what I've noticed. I agree with the studies and their findings, but it's still interesting. It also leads me to wonder how this would apply to individuals with depression or depression-like mental illness, and anxiety mental illnesses. It could really cloud ones nature in the I/E spectrum, and it's something I have certainly experienced in the past.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Level 8 Scumlord Array SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    642 so/sx

I scored a 3.2
    and a 49, which seems too low
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

eating bugs out of hair. Array prplchknz's Avatar

I know i'm not sensitive, special, or highly intelligent, I also don't have social anxiety or shy. But I know I'm an introvert. You can be totally fine walking up to strangers and asking questions and still be introvert. or you can be totally not fine walking up to strangers and asking questions and still be an extrovert. Social situations drain me, and not because i'm anxious they just do.

But because I id as an Introvert, I don't think i'm unicorn poop or anything.
    by @magpie

Permabanned Array

definitional switching, is what this is called.

and also, again, what's with the undercurrent of negative labeling? psychology, or shall i call it, pop psychology is ridden with prescriptive as opposed to descriptive labels. one characteristic i like about the mbti is how it is descriptive whereas much of psychology is prescriptive. forgive me, but isn't psychology still in its infancy? less than 100 years old? and yet we feel competent enough apply it so confidently? enough to prescribe psychoactive drugs altering something as essential brain chemistry? the modern day drug push is no better than the mushing of the prefrontal cortex as a remedy for...who knows what...

psychology has a lot of blood on its hands, and it's the prescriptive "negative labeling" that's one reason why.

Senior Member Array
    4w5 sp/so
    INFj Ne

That seems correct, I'd definitely call myself an ambivert, a modest one. I understand why I may seem like an introvert to many in real life.

7w6 sx/so

Scored 4.0 on the I/E test, so again another test marks me as an extrovert. Good. Well the only time I ever scored introvert was on the similarminds JCF test. It put me as INFP because I scored 95% Ne and 100% Fi.

Scored 47 on the covert narcissist test. So I'm below average but not exactly "low" in covert narcissism.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so