User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3/8 so
    Socionics
    ILE

Default A mind is a terrible thing to use. Waste it here.

Does anyone else aim for jobs, targets, and obligations way below their actual ability? I am unsure of the psychology behind it, but reaching my potential sounds like hard work. Previous biology teachers and professors have told me I have the brain to become a doctor, but I find the idea of tending a bar so much more appealing. It's not even an outright preference since I have great interest in medicine and medical science, I just find myself far more attracted to the simple, yet rewarding things.

Misery is easy, happiness is hard.
    I FEEL ALRIGHT

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I do the opposite.

My face constantly hurts from all the falling flat.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar

Yeah. Less responsibility and less chance to fuck up. More personal time, because if I worked to my full potential, I'd probably be in a profession which required me to work 80 hours a week.

Not to mention that it seems as if you're defining 'potential' as strictly a matter of intellectual difficulty/cognitive complexity. Why wouldn't bartending be something that allows you to develop a skill previously cast aside/undiscovered? It's something you want to do, it can help you grow as well, right?

My initial response was more in line with "maybe people don't want to run themselves into the ground (and existential crises) doing something just because it's their "greatest skill" or challenges their potential as defined in the classroom." Pretty pessimistic and with only a hint of projection. In other words, I'm with you. Just because I could do something difficult/highly specialized, doesn't mean I should have to. For my own sake.

I'm also inclined to take Hive's position. It's easy to do something you have no passion for, just because it's socially/culturally respected and something you are good at- in the sense that there are so many institutional structures in place to facilitate it. Want to go to business school? There's tons of them. Want to learn how to run a wildlife preserve? Not so much. And that's not even accounting how people's indifference to your goals can throw more wrenches into your plans than you might think. But even if you are able to provide for yourself and take care of living needs, how long would you want to bother living that life? *shrug*

There's a part of me that thinks that people choosing professions that don't challenge them is as much a social issue as it is a personal one. I can only speak for my culture: education as an institution is as broken as the day is long. And that's gotta count for something.
    Feeling - Sensing sort of person.

Team Water-Earth signs

http://www.dragonflycave.com/typequizpoison.gif http://www.dragonflycave.com/typequizunknown.gif

Hehe, I've never had a signature before!

Default Physical Pleasure and Psychological Delight

It shows my limited view of life that I am constantly surprised to discover those who have no interest in the intellectual life - no interest in the discoveries, no interest in the controversies, no interest in the magic of poetry, no interest of where they stand in the physical or psychological worlds.

Of course I recognise life is short and most are concerned with physical and psychological survival. But there are a blessed few who are thriving and not merely surviving - they are blessed with physical pleasure and psychological delight.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

OP: Now why would you think that tending a bar is easy, hmmm? Or even less worthwhile than being a doctor? I can say that a great bartender has brought me a hell of a lot more joy than most doctors I deal with.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I can say that a great bartender has brought me a hell of a lot more joy than most doctors I deal with.
    Oh really?

Counterpoint:

Regarding the OP, I'm a generalist. I find specialization difficult.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    OP: Now why would you think that tending a bar is easy, hmmm? Or even less worthwhile than being a doctor? I can say that a great bartender has brought me a hell of a lot more joy than most doctors I deal with.
    It is no fun being sober and surrounded by drunks, yet this is the fate of bartenders.

And the pay is poor and the status is low.

There is no intellectual life, no artistic life, in fact being a bartender is not much of a life at all.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    It is no fun being sober and surrounded by drunks, yet this is the fate of bartenders.

And the pay is poor and the status is low.

There is no intellectual life, no artistic life, in fact being a bartender is not much of a life at all.
    Every bar has its own life, some more interesting than others. The bartender is the center of what it is. Drunk intellectuals are amazing.