User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Every bar has its own life, some more interesting than others. The bartender is the center of what it is. Drunk intellectuals are amazing.
    I grew up in a hotel, the Imperial Hotel in Picton, New South Wales, Australia. So I know it from the inside.

Bars and hotels depend on alcoholics to make their profits. And alcoholisim is a disease or an addiction and destroys families and individuals.

And believe you me, drunk intellectuals only think they are amazing.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    I grew up in a hotel, the Imperial Hotel in Picton, New South Wales, Australia. So I know it from the inside.

Bars and hotels depend on alcoholics to make their profits. And alcoholisim is a disease or an addiction and destroys families and individuals.

And believe you me, drunk intellectuals only think they are amazing.
    Remind me to never drink with you, only at you.

Permabanned

Well according to Jon Taffer (world renowned bar expert), running a bar is not just a business, it’s a science. So technically, if you were running a bar you would be involved in a science.

Quote Originally Posted by RedruM View Post
    Well according to Jon Taffer (world renowned bar expert), running a bar is not just a business, it’s a science. So technically, if you were running a bar you would be involved in a science.
    If running a bar were a business and a science, we might be interested in knowing how many alcoholics it takes to make a bar profitable.

We might ask, how many destroyed families does it take to make a bar profitable? How much alcoholic violence does it take to make bar profitable? How many ruined lives does it take to make a bar profitable? How many alcoholic deaths on the roads does it take to make a bar profitable?

Rogue heart

Does anyone else aim for jobs, targets, and obligations way below their actual ability? I am unsure of the psychology behind it, but reaching my potential sounds like hard work.
    Don't know the exact reason behind that, but:"work smarter not harder", can be the official motto for ENTPs.

I don't aim for jobs, targets, and obligations above or below my ability. I simply do what interests me.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3/8 so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    OP: Now why would you think that tending a bar is easy, hmmm? Or even less worthwhile than being a doctor? I can say that a great bartender has brought me a hell of a lot more joy than most doctors I deal with.
    A friend of mine is shift manager in my city's largest bar, I have learnt a fair bit about the running of such an establishment from him. I class him as ESFJ, although I am not entirely sure. We get along well, and while he finds the quantity of work to deal with quite difficult, he enjoys the work in itself making it easy enough for him to do. I use that as an example because he suspects I would fit in the same way as he has, although turning up five days a week to do the same thing sounds tragic.

I do stand by the statement, however, that in terms of expertise, qualification, and workload, doctoring is several times harder than bartending. As for worthwhile, I mean it in a quantitative sense. I blatantly couldn't do doctoring purely because of the previous two sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I don't aim for jobs, targets, and obligations above or below my ability. I simply do what interests me.
    I'm very happy for you.
    Last edited by Chuffney; 06-25-2014 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Don't be hatin' on my editing face playa.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

It is no fun being sober and surrounded by drunks, yet this is the fate of bartenders.

And the pay is poor and the status is low.

There is no intellectual life, no artistic life, in fact being a bartender is not much of a life at all.
    i.know quite a few people who.made very good.livings tending bar.

depends on where you work i suppose.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_X View Post
    i.know quite a few people who.made very good.livings tending bar.

depends on where you work i suppose.
    No matter where you work, both police and bartenders look after drunks.

Bartenders are worse because they make their profits from alcoholics.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

No matter where you work, both police and bartenders look after drunks.

Bartenders are worse because they make their profits from alcoholics.
    not everyone that drinks is an alcoholic mole. most aren't.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison