User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Competitiveness

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default Competitiveness

The recent addition of the Most Awesome Arcade here has prompted me to ponder the concept of competitiveness. What makes people so competitive with each other? What is the root cause of it? What do you gain? And do you think men and women enjoy competing against each other, or do they prefer to compete with their same gender? Are you competitive?

ThatGirl

I'm not competitive in a win or loose sense but I do like to push myself to better standards by evalutating myself against others. If you can do it how did you do it and is it something I can do, type of thing.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I guess it has something to do with most men being "hunters" by their nature. But, in that case women should be nurturers. I believe that while feminism made progress by having women think themselves equal, it partially failed by making women act like men (which is requirement for success in a male dominated world). This makes women more competitive also, and twists them into something they are not supposed to be.

Myself, I am not competitive at all, never been. I think its because competitiveness is more of an extrovert thing. Only thing that keeps me motivated is the result of the work I do, and maybe achieving something that I couldn't do before.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I'm not very competitive with others.

I tend to pour intensity into my inner psychological "sanctum". I set goals within myself and regiment my lifestyle/work habits to accomplish my desired end.

Sometimes fleshing-out the ideal requires additional craftsmanship - I find that it's important to have an ever-evolving blueprint available. The maturation of which grants greater clarity into one's true goal (sometimes hidden from immediate view).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    The recent addition of the Most Awesome Arcade here has prompted me to ponder the concept of competitiveness. What makes people so competitive with each other? What is the root cause of it? What do you gain? And do you think men and women enjoy competing against each other, or do they prefer to compete with their same gender? Are you competitive?
    It's genetic. We're wired to compete with each other for everything: people, food, resources, attention. I'm pretty competitive when I have a chance.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    It's genetic. We're wired to compete with each other for everything: people, food, resources, attention. I'm pretty competitive when I have a chance.
    Edahn makes a great point.

Within our competitive nature, we also find hardwired a superabundant urge to pool our resources, as to hedge the probability of our shared genetic code to thrive.

Accommodation and competition are shades of the same conversation.

More human than human MetalWounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I find that a bit of healthy competition with females is very attractive.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I think competitiveness is natural but I must ask these things to understand....

Just because it's natural does that mean that we should exercise it? Why are some forms of competitiveness okay and others are not (like World War from example)?

MBTI
    ESFJ

I like to know that I am pushed to improve my performance in various aspects of life. Also, especially for us males, (friendly) competition can teach how to assert yourself, whilst still following "the rules of the game," and how to be gracious in both victory and defeat. Team competition is great at forming bonds of camaraderie with your teammates, as well.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    infp

I'm not competitive with other people. I once had a very long conversation/discussion/argument about competition with a very competitive guy I sat beside in grade 9 science. He said, as ThatGirl said, that he can only measure his own success and can only push himself by trying to better another person. I said that I only measure against myself, and that before I can be better than someone who is better than myself I have to be better than myself in the first place, so I just focus on that. Most of the stuff i like to do you couldn't really compete in anyway (i.e. music... it's pretty difficult to measure if someone is better or makes better music unless they learn in the exact same way in the same amount of time and play the same style).