User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Competitiveness

MBTI
    INTj

I don't know if I necessarily gain anything from being competitive. I compete simply because I think that it's fun. Regardless, I still try to keep the feelings of others in mind. Therefore, even when I really really want to, I often refrain from yelling, "Suck it, bitch!"

I suppose that I could gain the knowledge that I'm better at something than someone else. . . but honestly, I think more about the billions of people out there that are still better than me. Except for Snake. . . I'm definitely the best Snake player EVER.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    What makes people so competitive with each other? What is the root cause of it? What do you gain? And do you think men and women enjoy competing against each other, or do they prefer to compete with their same gender? Are you competitive?
    I think some people are competitive and some just aren't. No reason or rhyme to it - although I'd say you could guage how competitive someone could be based on their type. Perhaps the root cause is a drive to prove yourself to others, competing with yourself, or maybe you're just good at something and love doing it better than others.
    I like competing against both men and women. In areas physical and non-physical. All the boggle/scrabble players that can really kick my ass are women.
    I think by competing with people you understand each other better - that could be several things. For example, you realize how much you dislike someone, like someone, respect someone, enjoy being around them in all kinds of situations (not just non-competitive), and you can certainly learn more about yourself when competing.
    I, myself, can be competitive under the right circumstances. But, as an INFJ, it has to be something I'm invested in and care a lot about. I couldn't care less for debating about politics and sports or board games, for the post part, and so I won't go through the trouble and waste energy to endure the conflict and confrontation to put my views out there. I come from a family of competitors and their always saying, 'hey let's play dominoes/cards..." and I don't want to go near that bed of trash talking.
    On the other hand, music, movies, food/coffee, and weight lifting (random, yes) I'm very open for debating on/being competitive in.

MBTI
    ENTP

Just because it's natural does that mean that we should exercise it?
    I don't believe anyone thinks that we should exercise it just because it's natural, except maybe Nietzsche.

Why are some forms of competitiveness okay and others are not (like World War from example)?
    I think you can generalize that morally favorable competition has ground rules while unfavorable competition doesn't. Anything goes in war, cheating and killing are practically mandatory. In a soccer match those things are frowned upon.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I think competitiveness is natural but I must ask these things to understand....

Just because it's natural does that mean that we should exercise it? Why are some forms of competitiveness okay and others are not (like World War from example)?
    No, because I don't think you can really build an ethical system based on what's "natural" because if you zoom out enough, everything people do is "natural." To me, ethics are about responsibility and being conscious of a certain outcome, so, having natural urges is one thing, but how to express those urges is another.

Things like war aren't always frowned upon. Some wars are seen as helping oppressed civilians. I think what people are bothered by is not the competition, but the intention. If a country goes in to make life better for the underdog, they're given some leeway to hurt others. If a county is looking out for its own needs and neglecting the welfare of others, some (but certainly not all) will look down upon it. Then again, some people (Ghandi, many Buddhist, Jains) always frown upon active aggression.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wyst View Post
    On the other hand, music, movies, food/coffee, and weight lifting (random, yes) I'm very open for debating on/competitive in.
    I could use some workout tips. And some movie/music debates!
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    yupp

I'm competetive though you would never guess it by looking at me. I don't care if I win or lose but I do care if I try my best. I like a challenge. speaking of which I need to get back to tetris so I can get 1st place.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    No, because I don't think you can really build an ethical system based on what's "natural" because if you zoom out enough, everything people do is "natural." To me, ethics are about responsibility and being conscious of a certain outcome, so, having natural urges is one thing, but how to express those urges is another.
    What if I say that I think it's unethical and irresponsible of you that you are always winning at Solitaire because I want to win, and when I don't it is detrimental to my natural urge to have a healthy self-esteem, which winning at Solitaire helps to build. Just sayin...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

What if I say that I think it's unethical and irresponsible of you that you are always winning at Solitaire because I want to win, and when I don't it is detrimental to my natural urge to have a healthy self-esteem, which winning at Solitaire helps to build. Just sayin...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Except for Snake. . . I'm definitely the best Snake player EVER.
    I agree.

There are certain games in which I'm unswerving in my lack of compromise.

Mario Kart 64, for example. I briefly held a national record in Wario Stadium.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Is it really fair to dismiss aggression or might as a legitimate means to compete?