User Tag List

12 Last

Default Irrational longing for over 10 years

Ok, I'm 18 and for the last 10 years I have had a longing for magic, monsters, and such to be real(like off of harry potter, full metal alchemist, fairy tail, warehouse 13, etc.) I was wondering if there is any cognitive reason as to this longing. I think it might be b/c, due to these shows, I associate magic with a strong sense of belonging, friendship, and never-ending adventure. Any ideas?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

WhoCares

No idea. But when you find out can you PM me since I've obssessed over LOTR for the past 3 decades.....

Well, everyone has to make life a little more interesting...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

Maybe because you’re 18, albeit, I’ve met many 40, 50 and some 60 year olds who still glom onto longings of this type. Surprisingly many of them were able to work jobs, raise families, and lead productively happy lives while blending into the fabric of society.

Enneagram

You really need to read "the Magicians" by Lev Grossman. The main character is this dude who is depressed he has to go to College, because he still longs for Narnia and Hogwarts and such. And he ends up finding a magical realm, but it's nothing like he expected it to be.

Oh and if it makes you feel any better, I thought my stuffed animals were alive (in a secret Toy Story sort of way) well into high school. I mean, I knew they weren't, intellectually, but I remember feeling really guilty, about putting them in a garbage bag in my closet. I thought I was somehow hurting their feelings,

LadyLazarus

1.)Somehow get into MIT, learn computer-y things and graduate with a computer-y major.
    2.)Get addicted to WoW or something like that, re-read Harry Potter and LoTR. Play all the LoZ games consecutively. All within the span of 48 hours. No coffee or energy drinks.
    3.)Be so far gone from lack of sleep that you attempt to build a virtual reality helmet from a toaster and parts of your childhood Furby doll.
    4.)Succeed in doing so somehow.
    5.)Think of David Hasslehoff(sexually or no-sexually is up to you; I don't judge.)
    6.)Think of how great he was in "Click".
    7.)Put on the virtual Furby helmet, which will not stop asking you to feed it human flesh.
    8.)Get electrocuted by said Furby helmet(fatally or non-fatally; like I said I don't judge)
    9.)Viola! Narnia.

Or you know; LSD.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

there are plenty of adults who love fantasy novels until they die. i wouldn't worry about it. as long as you keep your fantasy world...somewhat compartmentalized, i think you're solid.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

How serious is this "longing"? You know some people saw the 3D movie Avatar, and became suicidal because they could never live on a planet like Pandora. I hope it hasn't gotten this far.

But I can tell you that there is magical things out there, but you have to open your eyes. Pandora for example, much of the planet's flora and fauna was based on Cameron's 10+ years scuba diving, much of it coral dives.

As an amateur scuba diver, I've seen where the inspiration comes from, plants on coral the shoot downward in a microsecond if you try to touch them, one of MANY examples.

But as far as looking for a Hogwarts, hmmmm, probably out of luck. You can always practice White Magick. But stay away from Black, trust me.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jaque158 View Post
    Ok, I'm 18 and for the last 10 years I have had a longing for magic, monsters, and such to be real(like off of harry potter, full metal alchemist, fairy tail, warehouse 13, etc.) I was wondering if there is any cognitive reason as to this longing. I think it might be b/c, due to these shows, I associate magic with a strong sense of belonging, friendship, and never-ending adventure. Any ideas?
    Another explanation:

Escapism

Realize that there are beautiful, magical things in this life to find. And realize that if you have trouble finding them, create them yourself. Love of fantasy, luckily is something shared by many, you can use this to connect to people and go on real adventures, if only in LARPland.