User Tag List

Default The Art of Framing

About ~2 years ago, I started on a "journey" to understand a little bit of the mind. Although I didn't major in psychology or any of that, I sort of started having leanings in trying to understand how powerful the mind can be when you use it a certain way. With that, I started looking at manipulation, framing, propaganda, public relations, and advertisement. Some say that each have their nuances in difference when it came to meaning. Like, hey... advertisement isn't propaganda isn't public relations and such and such, they are different enough that they are in different categories - says a professor of mine. But to me, they are all essentially the same. The ones I mentioned thus far uses a tactic to touch upon other people's mind and senses. It doesn't matter if it is touching it in a negative, neutral, or positive tone, one is still doing it when employing these methods.

On my quest, I started looking at word choices and framing. How people and institutions use certain words and phrases to compel people to think a certain way. And in many ways, these methods are quite effective. If I had every dollar for every institution that mentioned surveillance, police, security, and 9/11, I'd be a millionaire now. For each advocacy group that mentions humans rights and dignity, bill of rights and the constitution, Orwellian and 1984, and a whole slough of other key terms, I'd be twice the millionaire. For each Republican I hear saying Obamacare and for each Democrat using it to say yes... he does care about the nation... you get where I am going? It becomes so easy to understand where a speaker is going, even if that person believe he bears no ill-motive to be pushing something - I do it a lot of times too.

Some (not all) of the people and articles I went through while on this Journey?
    The Father of Public Relations.
    The Fight to Frame Privacy
    A Theory of Framing and Opinion Formation in Competitive Elite Environments
    Manufacturing Consent
    Evaluating Spec Ops: The Line Vs. Call of Duty (any installments would do.)
    Testing Theories of American Politics: Elites, Interest Groups, and Average Citizens

It's all the same, how one decides to use his/her words can have profound effects of the viewer/listener. Those word have powerful effects when manipulated into the senses of another.... Not being swept away by these frames are all but impossible as we are constantly using language to frame a situation unless you live alone in the woods with no human contact. Even at this moment, I am using language to frame the situation to make it believable, that, or it is just making me sound out of touch.

On an elementary level, many of you guys may say, "DUH, we all speak to each other to affect each other." But on a deeper level, most people, including me, don't always realize when we are doing it or when someone is doing it to us.

I don't know what else to say other than I like looking at the mind, both the dark parts and the light parts, although what I am probably saying is that they are both essentially the same on a rudimentary level. The mind is the mind, no matter its manifestations.

I find that altering jut one word in your speech can give your sentence an entirely different, if not even opposite, meaning.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

can be and surely is used for evil.

absolutely happens unconsciously.

as a healthy psychological strategy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_reframing
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

WhoCares

Whenever another person open's their mouth I'm thinking....so what are you peddling today? I mean human contact is so fraught with agenda anyway that it's near on impossible not to think that everyone's motive for addressing you is to benefit themselves in some way. Mostly people relay a story to garner support for their cause, everyone has an interest in others being on their side and this is their primary motive in communicating with others.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    On my quest, I started looking at word choices and framing. How people and institutions use certain words and phrases to compel people to think a certain way. And in many ways, these methods are quite effective. If I had every dollar for every institution that mentioned surveillance, police, security, and 9/11, I'd be a millionaire now. For each advocacy group that mentions humans rights and dignity, bill of rights and the constitution, Orwellian and 1984, and a whole slough of other key terms, I'd be twice the millionaire. For each Republican I hear saying Obamacare and for each Democrat using it to say yes... he does care about the nation... you get where I am going? It becomes so easy to understand where a speaker is going, even if that person believe he bears no ill-motive to be pushing something - I do it a lot of times too.
    May I suggest you look into Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP)

Quote Originally Posted by LadyRain View Post
    May I suggest you look into Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP)
    Interesting, but I'm actually more into these sort of books and topics:

Plato Republic, Plato
    Art of War, Sun Tsu
    The Prince, Niccolo Machiavelli
    Propaganda, Edward Bernays
    A few excerpts of Lenin
    CIA Psychological Operations in Guerilla Warfare
    Politics - Aristotle
    Lives - Plutarch
    Rise of Rome - Livy