User Tag List

123 Last

WhoCares

Default Why do people justify stealing?

Okay so I work with a lot of different people. And there is a common theme amoung the great numbers of people I come across. Many people will justify theft on some level. They either justify it as being innocuous (low value items) or having no victim (I'm stealing from a company not a person) or by seeing it as some kind of right of theirs to take something (The company/person owes me this). Even people I like and enjoy the company of at some stage justify some small theft of theirs. Seriously from what I've observed this causes no consternation to the average person, it's okay to take something that doesn't belong to you just as long as.....insert excuse here.

So without getting into my dark thoughts on humanity. Why does an act which obstensibly most people recognise as being wrongful, suddenly become right in certain (common) situations. And not talking about extreme moral inequities like, robin hood type situations. I'm talking about the everyday nicking of stuff just because....Situations like this.

Company provides food on the job, but employee doesn't like the food offered and helps themselves to a better choice from food not offered.
    Work in cafe where a free morning coffee is allowed, so you have two or three instead.
    Office workers nicking pens, or a whole packet of pens for use outside of work.
    Office workers using the company photocopier to create copies of their kids school project/magazine etc...

So yeah. On the magnitude of criminal offences these things aren't really up there. But it's a curiosity of mine, if you will, why lowering the magnitude of something makes it right when really the act itself is no different to stealing someone's car or TV set.

WALMART

Mice eat cheese

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    Mice eat cheese
    So are you saying it's basic human nature to nick stuff?

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    So are you saying it's basic human nature to nick stuff?
    Now is when I would like to hear your dark thoughts on humanity.

WhoCares

Ah! I see, it's a trap.....and I didn't even see the obvious metaphor. Fuck I'm dumber than I thought I was....

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

bcc its fun

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

It's the secularization of society and the moral ambiguity that attends it. No longer is something "right or wrong"; now it's "it depends".
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    It's the secularization of society and the moral ambiguity that attends it. No longer is something "right or wrong"; now it's "it depends".
    No. Being secular does not preclude one from being moral, nor do morals have to come from religious institutions.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...m-and-religion
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I think the biggest justification towards stealing is a thought process similar to this "this likely won't effect anyone in a way they will notice, what they don't know won't hurt them. Also, what if I don't get caught? I can simply get away with it".

Even if someone is morally against stealing, it doesn't mean they are going to obey their own morals on the matter. It's quite common in fact for individuals go go contrary to their own moral code, and generate some cognitive dissonance so as not to worry/stress about it.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I often gave away extras when I worked in food service when I could. I know the product is hugely over priced, and my heart is with the customer in front of me. I never would do something on a large scale or systematically. This is because it would more likely impact someone or become some kind of operation which I'm not comfortable with.

I stole a bottle of hair dye from a pharmacy once as well and have never felt good about it. No justification there, I was with a friend and was being stupid.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.