• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which function do you think correlates best with having

Which function correlates best with having critical thinking skills?

• Te

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Fe

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Ti

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Se

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Si

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Ni

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Ne

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Fi

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters

rav3n

I love your cute little language you've invented to simply explain everything to yourself.

Unfortunately for your argument, I'm not the one who said "critical thinking greatly exceeds its abilities".

Everything you said was already covered far more comprehensively in what I'd written.
Rational and objective are two aspects of critical thinking. Ni is neither a rational or objective function.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Rational and objective are two aspects of critical thinking. Ni is neither a rational or objective function.

Well, considering rational and objective are technical terms in Jungian typology, and don't quite match the broader, more general understandings of "rational" and "objective", to which critical thinking should be linked, your statement falls flat on its face.

Regardless, as I said before, this was already covered far more comprehensively in what I wrote.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Also, your cat's cradle - Ni metaphor is poor.

It might be a semi-decent way to describe aux Ni, but not dom Ni.

rav3n

Regardless, as I said before, this was already covered far more comprehensively in what I wrote.
What was previously expressed was nothing more than Ni-dom fapping...as usual. The confirmation bias was stellar!

Frankly, I don't believe that any function is much of a critical thinker on its own. But if you cobble together functions, taking the best aspects of each, the Ti-Ne-Si combination is in my opinion, the top combination for critical thinking since it constantly applies critical thinking to its own conclusions and demands holistic perceptions of what is, prior to concluding and then considers possibilities. And applying another 'but' to this process, it's rare you'll find any individual capable of utilising the best aspects of their functions.

The Ni-Te-Fi is too fraught full of subjectivity, as obvious within the confines of this thread. This doesn't mean that this combination is incapable of critical thinking. It has its advantages but man, the sheer amount of ego protection that manifests in so many INTJs, negates those advantages.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I would suspect that Ne is low in this poll because, all by itself, it isn't that critical. In fact, its strength is that it isn't critical, that it pulls in all possible ideas, regardless of credibility. Brainstorming is kind of the opposite of critical thinking. It is the role of Ti, Fi, and Si to anchor the Ne ideas in the realm of critical thinking.

I'd actually throw Te in there as well

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Moved tangential remarks to Off Topic Posts.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
What was previously expressed was nothing more than Ni-dom fapping...as usual. The confirmation bias was stellar!

Frankly, I don't believe that any function is much of a critical thinker on its own. But if you cobble together functions, taking the best aspects of each, the Ti-Ne-Si combination is in my opinion, the top combination for critical thinking since it constantly applies critical thinking to its own conclusions and demands holistic perceptions of what is, prior to concluding and then considers possibilities. And applying another 'but' to this process, it's rare you'll find any individual capable of utilising the best aspects of their functions.

The Ni-Te-Fi is too fraught full of subjectivity, as obvious within the confines of this thread. This doesn't mean that this combination is incapable of critical thinking. It has its advantages but man, the sheer amount of ego protection that manifests in so many INTJs, negates those advantages.

+1

The reason why INTJ's aren't as good as INTP's at critical thinking is because they get too stuck in their internal framework and fail to acknowledge all perspectives in analysis. They are the most doubtful and skeptical in considering alternative routes and perspectives similar to how ISTJ's function.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ti, as it translates into greater resistance to a priori truths, as well as more willingness to revisit the premises.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
The reason why INTJ's aren't as good as INTP's at critical thinking is because they get too stuck in their internal framework and fail to acknowledge all perspectives in analysis. They are the most doubtful and skeptical in considering alternative routes and perspectives similar to how ISTJ's function.

The same thing happens to INTPs in a TiSi loop.

The same thing happens to any introverted type in a dom-tert loop.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
The same thing happens to INTPs in a TiSi loop.

The same thing happens to any introverted type in a dom-tert loop.

Has nothing to do with a loop it's how they function they are much more driven based on their internal framework and much more skeptical and hesitant in moving towards new areas of thought. IXTJs function like a waterfall moving towards one direction while IXTPs spread themselves out towards different directions with a less powerful "stream". This makes the IXTJ type more conventional and predictable but more determined and self motivated. The IXTP will consider more angles objectively thus makes them better suitable for critical thought.

yeghor

I think J-doms would have a harder time in thinking critically...i.e. removining self-bias from their reasoning process cause it's their strongest suit...

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Has nothing to do with a loop it's how they function they are much more driven based on their internal framework and much more skeptical and hesitant in moving towards new areas of thought. IXTJs function like a waterfall moving towards one direction while IXTP spread themselves out towards different directions with a less powerful "stream". This makes the IXTJ type more conventional and predictable but more determined.

All you're describing is stereotypical J vs P characteristics.

Js are "closed and convergent"; Ps are "open and divergent".

The open and closed parts aren't really even that true.

And for the same reason J and P are labeled differently in Socionics.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I think J-doms would have a harder time in thinking critically...i.e. removining self-bias from their reasoning process cause it's their strongest suit...

Their self bias is both their weakness and their strength.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
More posts moved to Off Topic Posts.

:dry: