• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which function do you think correlates best with having

Which function correlates best with having critical thinking skills?

• Te

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Fe

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Ti

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Se

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Si

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Ni

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Ne

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Fi

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Associated with the "J" functions, though it depends more on the individual than type.

But seriously guys Ni-doms ? Ni is all about vagueness, mysticism, not defining terms, poetic language. It's anything but geared towards critical thinking.

Utter bullshit.

Ti for logically structured critical thinking. Ni for detached indipendent skepticism.

This is the way I see it.

Do you not think Fi fits in there as well?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would think Ti probably has a bit of an upper hand, though strong Ti users tend to be weaker at addressing people-concerns and weaker with external data and parameters. I can see why some might say Ni but I think the problem with Ni is that it's so hit-and-miss. Sometimes it's totally on target with its questioning but sometimes it leads to conclusions that are stunningly wrong and it is not flexible once it's set its course, and a huge aspect of critical thought is being able to question your own conclusions. So I think it's sort of out of the running for "best".

But really, any person with any combination of functions should be perfectly competent at this. Whether or not one chooses to engage it is the more important question...

Detailed function/critical thought breakdown in spoiler.

rav3n

Knee-jerk reaction would be Ti. But the definition of critical thinking includes objectivity where Ti is subjectively objective since it's an introverted function. So........fuck if I know.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Yeah you are you said Ti Doms are good at critical thinking but ISTP's aren't but ISTPs are Ti dom, where is your logic here?

Actually, no, I did not say Ti doms are good at critical thinking.

I said Ti, and three other functions, Ne included, can be good at critical thinking.

Thank you, once again, though, for demonstrating my point so clearly.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I have to say, I find it truly odd that Ne is last in this poll...

How it could possibly be behind Si and Se makes no sense to me...

rav3n

I find Fi with eight votes to be pretty funny. It's as bad as Si for a sheer lack of objectivity.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Just become you mentioned the other functions doesn't mean anything you still thought Ti was string at critical thinking LMFAO you are special kid.

And apparently you still can't read or critically think. (Surprise Surprise)

The fact that I said Ti can exemplify strong critical thinking skills does not mean it inherently does.

Any half-intelligent 5th grader could see the error in your reasoning, but let me spell it out for you:

Ti can be good at critical thinking
Johnny uses Ti
Therefore, Johnny is good at critical thinking

Now, I understand, considering your condition, you probably actually think that is a valid syllogism...

Unfortunately, I can't really help you out with that...

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
There's plenty of t people on here that think they have elite critical thinking skills compared to the f people. Yet many f people on here have a lot of those same t people beat when it comes to thinking critically. My point is that everyone doesn't like to see the truth and ts are more sensitive so they hide behind a wall of logic and then when the shit hits the fan the t people are the ones being overly emotional where the f people are like maybe they are as well the point is the f people are more likely to acknowledge things like that. And t vs f isn't a good indicator on how good one is at critical thinking

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Considering the prerequisites people seem to associate with critical thinking in this thread, im kind of proud of Ne's last position, tbh. And not surprised at all. Ne is inclusive afterall. People seem to be associating critical thinking with reductive and dismissive qualities.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The OP question is poorly phrased, with no real room for nuance or understanding of what critical thinking really is.

We must first define what critical thinking is and isn't...

Exactly.

The problem is that it is fairly easy to describe what critical thinking is. Then there are those individuals that insist that THEY are employing critical thinking, and everyone else disagreeing with them are just a bunch of idiots who refuse to see reason. They THEY see all the multitude of shades, and everyone else just sees black and white.

As it is described in this video, it would appear to map more to Ni than other functions, especially based on a fairly early comparison (at 0:20 or so), where it describes memorizing a solution to a problem, vs being able to come up with your own effective solutions to a multitude of problems. This is what Ni excels at, namely analyzing new problems where one cannot simply Google the answer, for example.

But critical thinking isn't JUST that. It's about being able to analyze things at all sorts of levels, and depending on the scope of the problem, certain functions will be more apt at critical thinking in those terms than others. Fe and Fi will be better at handling human/personal issues. Te and Ti will be better at practical logical/logistical issues. Si and Se I would suspect are the weakest at critical thinking as described in that video, as their the most likely to be influenced by cultural ideas and values (which isn't a bad thing, btw - there is a huge amount of unarticulated knowledge and accumulated wisdom in there).

Most of all, critical thinking is more of an attitude than a skill. The attitude allows one to develop the skill, but if one has some degree of smarts and skillz, absence of the attitude guarantees that however much one might believe in their "critical thinking" skills, they aren't really doing it.

rav3n

Considering the prerequisites people seem to associate with critical thinking in this thread, im kind of proud of Ne's last position, tbh. And not surprised at all. Ne is inclusive afterall. People seem to be associating critical thinking with reductive and dismissive qualities.
Ti when using slave Ne and tert Si, would be the most critical thinking combination. Ti to create the logical framework, Ne to information gather and consider everything inscope, and Si to ground with its focus on explicit concrete details. The net result is a holistic 3-D picture of what 'is' which is the ground work for Ne to leap off, for possibilities.

But Ne on its lonesome displays no critical thinking, especially since it's a perceiving, irrational function.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ti when using slave Ne and tert Si, would be the most critical thinking combination. Ti to create the logical framework, Ne to information gather and consider everything inscope, and Si to ground with its focus on explicit concrete details. The net result is a holistic 3-D picture of what 'is' which is the ground work for Ne to leap off, for possibilities.

But Ne on its lonesome displays no critical thinking, especially since it's a perceiving, irrational function.

I wholeheartedly disagree - but given my dom preference, that is hardly a shock. Ti ne is best in their field. And woefully inadequate wrt their blindspot - as any function combo will be.

rav3n

I wholeheartedly disagree - but given my dom preference, that is hardly a shock. Ti ne is best in their field. And woefully inadequate wrt their blindspot - as any function combo will be.
What blind spot might that be and why the ignoring of Si's explicity addition to the combination?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What blind spot might that be and why the ignoring of Si's explicity addition to the combination?

Coz im on an iphone. And their critical thinking often seriously lacks wrt how to solve things like relationship issues as thats just not what theyre geared at. The lack of info that theyre used to handling and mishandling of foreign data due to inexperience and ignorance using systems that arent geared towards the kind of critical thinking needed often leads to many a repeated mistake before stumbling upon a solution at best and ending up with traumatised si at worst.

rav3n

Coz im on an iphone. And their critical thinking often seriously lacks wrt how to solve things like relationship issues as thats just not what theyre geared at. The lack of info that theyre used to handling and mishandling of foreign data due to inexperience and ignorance using systems that arent geared towards the kind of critical thinking needed often leads to many a repeated mistake before stumbling upon a solution at best and ending up with traumatised si at worst.
Forgive my blind spot but since when is critical thinking a form of subjective emotional analysis. That's about as bad as the term, emotional intelligence.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Forgive my blind spot but since when is critical thinking a form of subjective emotional analysis. That's about as bad as the term, emotional intelligence.

Right. Hence the disagreement. Guess for me it means actually critically thinking about something, taking all available data into consideration, understanding it, taking it apart and coming up with solutions. I ll leave defining the term to you guys, though :offtobed:

yeghor

The OP question is poorly phrased, with no real room for nuance or understanding of what critical thinking really is.

Exactly.

The problem is that it is fairly easy to describe what critical thinking is. Then there are those individuals that insist that THEY are employing critical thinking, and everyone else disagreeing with them are just a bunch of idiots who refuse to see reason. They THEY see all the multitude of shades, and everyone else just sees black and white.

As it is described in this video, it would appear to map more to Ni than other functions, especially based on a fairly early comparison (at 0:20 or so), where it describes memorizing a solution to a problem, vs being able to come up with your own effective solutions to a multitude of problems. This is what Ni excels at, namely analyzing new problems where one cannot simply Google the answer, for example.

But critical thinking isn't JUST that. It's about being able to analyze things at all sorts of levels, and depending on the scope of the problem, certain functions will be more apt at critical thinking in those terms than others. Fe and Fi will be better at handling human/personal issues. Te and Ti will be better at practical logical/logistical issues. Si and Se I would suspect are the weakest at critical thinking as described in that video, as their the most likely to be influenced by cultural ideas and values (which isn't a bad thing, btw - there is a huge amount of unarticulated knowledge and accumulated wisdom in there).

Most of all, critical thinking is more of an attitude than a skill. The attitude allows one to develop the skill, but if one has some degree of smarts and skillz, absence of the attitude guarantees that however much one might believe in their "critical thinking" skills, they aren't really doing it.

I think F and T are required for better analysis of their respective strata of information yet the belowgiven is crucial and requires some sort of mechanism above or almost as strong as F and T analysis engines...

So Ni or Si above these might work towards optimizing one's thought processes... I know how Ni works to that end, but don't know how Si does...

thinking about one's thinking in a manner designed to organize and clarify, raise the efficiency of, and recognize errors and biases in one's own thinking. Critical thinking is not 'hard' thinking nor is it directed at solving problems (other than 'improving' one's own thinking). Critical thinking is inward-directed with the intent of maximizing the rationality of the thinker. One does not use critical thinking to solve problems - one uses critical thinking to improve one's process of thinking.[11]

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
And their critical thinking often seriously lacks wrt how to solve things like relationship issues as thats just not what theyre geared at. The lack of info that theyre used to handling and mishandling of foreign data due to inexperience and ignorance using systems that arent geared towards the kind of critical thinking needed often leads to many a repeated mistake before stumbling upon a solution at best and ending up with traumatised si at worst.

^ critical thinking

^ issues with the inferior