User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which function correlates best with having critical thinking skills?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Te

    9 25.00%
  • Fe

    5 13.89%
  • Ti

    29 80.56%
  • Se

    3 8.33%
  • Si

    6 16.67%
  • Ni

    13 36.11%
  • Ne

    4 11.11%
  • Fi

    9 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 9101112 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 114

  1. #101
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I love your cute little language you've invented to simply explain everything to yourself.

    Unfortunately for your argument, I'm not the one who said "critical thinking greatly exceeds its abilities".

    Everything you said was already covered far more comprehensively in what I'd written.
    Rational and objective are two aspects of critical thinking. Ni is neither a rational or objective function.

  2. #102
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    Rational and objective are two aspects of critical thinking. Ni is neither a rational or objective function.
    Well, considering rational and objective are technical terms in Jungian typology, and don't quite match the broader, more general understandings of "rational" and "objective", to which critical thinking should be linked, your statement falls flat on its face.

    Regardless, as I said before, this was already covered far more comprehensively in what I wrote.

  3. #103
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Also, your cat's cradle - Ni metaphor is poor.

    It might be a semi-decent way to describe aux Ni, but not dom Ni.

  4. #104
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Regardless, as I said before, this was already covered far more comprehensively in what I wrote.
    What was previously expressed was nothing more than Ni-dom fapping...as usual. The confirmation bias was stellar!

    Frankly, I don't believe that any function is much of a critical thinker on its own. But if you cobble together functions, taking the best aspects of each, the Ti-Ne-Si combination is in my opinion, the top combination for critical thinking since it constantly applies critical thinking to its own conclusions and demands holistic perceptions of what is, prior to concluding and then considers possibilities. And applying another 'but' to this process, it's rare you'll find any individual capable of utilising the best aspects of their functions.

    The Ni-Te-Fi is too fraught full of subjectivity, as obvious within the confines of this thread. This doesn't mean that this combination is incapable of critical thinking. It has its advantages but man, the sheer amount of ego protection that manifests in so many INTJs, negates those advantages.

  5. #105
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    I would suspect that Ne is low in this poll because, all by itself, it isn't that critical. In fact, its strength is that it isn't critical, that it pulls in all possible ideas, regardless of credibility. Brainstorming is kind of the opposite of critical thinking. It is the role of Ti, Fi, and Si to anchor the Ne ideas in the realm of critical thinking.
    I'd actually throw Te in there as well

  6. #106
    Happy Dancer uumlau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so
    Posts
    5,708

    Default

    Moved tangential remarks to Off Topic Posts.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

    A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

  7. #107
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    What was previously expressed was nothing more than Ni-dom fapping...as usual. The confirmation bias was stellar!

    Frankly, I don't believe that any function is much of a critical thinker on its own. But if you cobble together functions, taking the best aspects of each, the Ti-Ne-Si combination is in my opinion, the top combination for critical thinking since it constantly applies critical thinking to its own conclusions and demands holistic perceptions of what is, prior to concluding and then considers possibilities. And applying another 'but' to this process, it's rare you'll find any individual capable of utilising the best aspects of their functions.

    The Ni-Te-Fi is too fraught full of subjectivity, as obvious within the confines of this thread. This doesn't mean that this combination is incapable of critical thinking. It has its advantages but man, the sheer amount of ego protection that manifests in so many INTJs, negates those advantages.
    +1

    The reason why INTJ's aren't as good as INTP's at critical thinking is because they get too stuck in their internal framework and fail to acknowledge all perspectives in analysis. They are the most doubtful and skeptical in considering alternative routes and perspectives similar to how ISTJ's function.

  8. #108
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,932

    Default

    Ti, as it translates into greater resistance to a priori truths, as well as more willingness to revisit the premises.

  9. #109
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    The reason why INTJ's aren't as good as INTP's at critical thinking is because they get too stuck in their internal framework and fail to acknowledge all perspectives in analysis. They are the most doubtful and skeptical in considering alternative routes and perspectives similar to how ISTJ's function.
    The same thing happens to INTPs in a TiSi loop.

    The same thing happens to any introverted type in a dom-tert loop.

  10. #110
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    The same thing happens to INTPs in a TiSi loop.

    The same thing happens to any introverted type in a dom-tert loop.
    Has nothing to do with a loop it's how they function they are much more driven based on their internal framework and much more skeptical and hesitant in moving towards new areas of thought. IXTJs function like a waterfall moving towards one direction while IXTPs spread themselves out towards different directions with a less powerful "stream". This makes the IXTJ type more conventional and predictable but more determined and self motivated. The IXTP will consider more angles objectively thus makes them better suitable for critical thought.

Similar Threads

  1. [INFJ] INFJs: Which type do you think is your ideal romantic match?
    By Zarathustra in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 10-31-2012, 01:47 PM
  2. which type do you think would most enjoy
    By captain curmudgeon in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-27-2010, 01:12 AM
  3. What type do you get along best with?
    By NewEra in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 10-28-2009, 03:09 AM
  4. Which types do you think are the most sarcastic?
    By paintmuffin in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 10-13-2009, 05:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO