User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 61

  1. #1
    Infinite Bubble
    Guest

    Default Which typology do you believe is the most credible?

    Out of MBTI, Enneagram and Socionics. If you had to put the three in order from most to least credible in your opinion, what would the order be and why?

    Also, do you think any of them will gain a measure of scientific credibility sometime in the future, a la the Big Five?

  2. #2
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Typology is bullshit because it puts you into classes. It limits your behaviour to a certain set of rules and tho things like 'shadow functions' or the all-encompassing socionics want to stir against this inherent failure, it's still a failure.

    They all disobey free will and thats why they will always fail.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  3. #3
    Senior Member Noon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    806

    Default

    The enneagram is the most useful among the three for framing & working through bad psychological patterns.
    Socionics IEI describes my personality more accurately than anything in mbti. I like its function ideas better too.
    The mbti comes third.

    Can't see them gaining scientific credibility but don't believe they need it so long as they remain useful.

  4. #4
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post
    Can't see them gaining scientific credibility but don't believe they need it so long as they remain useful.
    Like Scientology ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  5. #5
    LadyLazarus
    Guest

    Default

    None.

  6. #6
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Ehh how are we deciding "credible"? Scientifically, none of them.

    IMO usefulness to me is Enneagram > MBTI > Socionics. Socionics might have a leg up over MBTI but the Visual ID stuff really kills it for me.

  7. #7
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Ehh how are we deciding "credible"? Scientifically, none of them.

    IMO usefulness to me is Enneagram > MBTI > Socionics. Socionics might have a leg up over MBTI but the Visual ID stuff really kills it for me.
    Thats a bit strange. You basically open two fronts this way: you say scientifically its not valid, but on some different dimension it is.

    So you have the following happening: more and more people come to believe to accept something as true because it feels right but dont voice it because it is against reason. So you have a nation of choked spiritualits, who think what they do is wrong because reason is ruling them.

    That on the other hand is bad self-confidence. So whats the problem Americans ? Why not admit that you are spiritual people, why always try to hold up the holy grail of reason and develop real life plans in the darkness ? Who said that reason is the all-encompassing truth ? Noone knows that
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  8. #8
    untitled Chanaynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Posts
    5,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Typology is bullshit because it puts you into classes. It limits your behaviour to a certain set of rules and tho things like 'shadow functions' or the all-encompassing socionics want to stir against this inherent failure, it's still a failure.

    They all disobey free will and thats why they will always fail.
    If you feel you're limiting your own behavior by assigning yourself a certain personality type, then you're not mature enough to see how you fit into the system. I don't know who in their right mind would let their actions be influenced by personality type at all really.

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Enneagram > MBTI > Socionics.
    This is how I see it!
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so


  9. #9
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    If you feel you're limiting your own behavior by assigning yourself a certain personality type, then you're not mature enough to see how you fit into the system. I don't know who in their right mind would let their actions be influenced by personality type at all really.
    What is your system then ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  10. #10
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Thats a bit strange. You basically open two fronts this way: you say scientifically its not valid, but on some different dimension it is.

    So you have the following happening: more and more people come to believe to accept something as true because it feels right but dont voice it because it is against reason. So you have a nation of choked spiritualits, who think what they do is wrong because reason is ruling them.

    That on the other hand is bad self-confidence. So whats the problem Americans ? Why not admit that you are spiritual people, why always try to hold up the holy grail of reason and develop real life plans in the darkness ? Who said that reason is the all-encompassing truth ? Noone knows that
    Ehh I'm not sure I really understand why you're associating the issues you have with my perception with Americans as a whole. While I am certainly American, I feel like I am a fairly poor representative of the average American in terms of spirituality, views of psychology, views of personality theories, and overall background and personality.

    I do believe the theories are not particularly scientifically valid, but are nevertheless useful tools. Consider - with the technology we currently have, it is not possible to landscape and categorize the inner workings of our minds in terms of the frequent patterns of cognition we use, but it is evident from shared discussion that we do have patterns that are prominent in certain people and are prominent across certain groups. So it may be in part that technology is just not there yet, but also there is still the mind-body problem to get past. I actually did a literature-based research project tracing the mind-body problem and its history from Descartes to the present, and its implications for neuroscience and other fields. It's a fascinating topic, and one that is still largely unsolved. Where does body end and mind begin, and vice versa? What is the difference? How come we can translate some things but not others? How come we have some degree of influence in either direction but not complete?

    So, when we're talking about personality theories, it's sort of an impossible question to ask how credible those theories are. There is no tangible external physical evidence that we can get from the mind thus far, so it's kind of up to each individual how much they see internally coherent reason and applicability within the theories. I find MBTI the most internally valid of the three theories, with its scheme seeming the most balanced and logical, but I don't know if it's the best externally. And I find the Enneagram the most spiritually/intrapersonally useful.

    As for the States... I don't find there to be much "choked spiritualism" here. I live in the South, where it is more common to find people who are so spiritual that they are willing to completely disregard scientific evidence when it runs up against religious tradition, rather than historical beliefs or attempting to integrate the two. I also don't find much lack of self-confidence here. If anything, there tends to be too much. Where have you gotten your impressions from?

Similar Threads

  1. Which enneagram do you think is the most likely to be a criminal?
    By Evolving Transparency in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-25-2014, 05:46 PM
  2. What do you think is the most cowardly action in a fight?
    By godscollie in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 06:06 PM
  3. Which types do you think are the most sarcastic?
    By paintmuffin in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 10-13-2009, 05:00 AM
  4. Replies: 60
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 02:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO