MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego_death

This guy I know apparently experienced ego death after taking a lot of mushrooms.
    I haven't experienced ego death, but I was fairly close to it. I had lost all emotion completely. Really strange experience, and you can't react to it while you're experiencing it, because that's an emotion. It truly is nothingness and meaninglessness. It's kinda dangerous too.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I haven't experienced ego death, but I was fairly close to it. I had lost all emotion completely. Really strange experience, and you can't react to it while you're experiencing it, because that's an emotion. It truly is nothingness and meaninglessness. It's kinda dangerous too.
    I've experienced ego death more times than I can count.

In psychedelic circles, also known as the "death curve." Can be very anxious feeling. And the more a person is attached to their ego, the wilder the ride. But on the other side, temporary enlightenment.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    I've experienced ego death more times than I can count.
    I haven't done hallucinogens enough to get to that point, and it's not something I actively seek to experience. If it were to happen then it happens. Based on the experiences I've had though I suspect I'd handle it just fine.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I haven't done hallucinogens enough to get to that point, and it's not something I actively seek to experience. If it were to happen then it happens. Based on the experiences I've had though I suspect I'd handle it just fine.
    That's a good attitude. Cuz it's potent, mind altering stuff that should be treated with respect. When the student is ready, the psychedelics arrive.

I think you'd be fine. In fact, I think just about anyone would be, but SOME people would require more proper preparation.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    That's a good attitude. Cuz it's potent, mind altering stuff that should be treated with respect. When the student is ready, the psychedelics arrive.

I think you'd be fine. In fact, I think just about anyone would be, but SOME people would require more proper preparation.
    Indeed. The biggest thing is when I do it I go into it thinking "it's temporary, things will undo, then come back" and I never forget that. I've had times where I did not understand that, but I just said "no, accept it, because it is what it is, okie dokie", and it rolls on. It's been years since I've done anything, I'm overdue.

As uptight as I am, I'm able to let go of this sort of thing just fine. It's more that, I have so much trust in myself, that I am completely able to let myself go, because I know even out of control, I will still be "in control" and not do, say, or think anything that would cause something permenant damage/harm. In essence, I know the uncertainty won't do anything bad, so I can completely dive into it. Now if I could just apply that to other aspects of my life... .

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by SophiaDeep View Post
    Animals are not aware of their existence, they are not aware of their ownselves, so they don't have ego.
    That... isn't true. At all.

A horse isn't scared shitless when it swats itself with its tail. And they don't piss themselves when they see their reflection in the water. They have physical awareness of themselves.

Plus, humans couldn't logically prove their own existence until Descartes took seven years of his life to come up with the genius idea "Je pense, donc je suis," I think, therefor I am.

Humans still aren't entirely convinced of their existence. There's a plenty of philosophical theories that say we're really just illusions of some elaborate demonstration. We could be computer programmed beings in a server for people from the future to experience the past, we could be mirrors of another universe and completely without any TRUE free will (and any question of free will being a reflection of the real universe's free will), we could be brains in a vat being stimulated by scientists and completely at their mercy of their test parameters.

So just because a cow doesn't come right out and discuss existential philosophy with you, don't assume things like the cognitive and philosophical capabilities of animals.
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by tkae. View Post
    That... isn't true. At all.

A horse isn't scared shitless when it swats itself with its tail. And they don't piss themselves when they see their reflection in the water. They have physical awareness of themselves.

Plus, humans couldn't logically prove their own existence until Descartes took seven years of his life to come up with the genius idea "Je pense, donc je suis," I think, therefor I am.

Humans still aren't entirely convinced of their existence. There's a plenty of philosophical theories that say we're really just illusions of some elaborate demonstration. We could be computer programmed beings in a server for people from the future to experience the past, we could be mirrors of another universe and completely without any TRUE free will (and any question of free will being a reflection of the real universe's free will), we could be brains in a vat being stimulated by scientists and completely at their mercy of their test parameters.

So just because a cow doesn't come right out and discuss existential philosophy with you, don't assume things like the cognitive and philosophical capabilities of animals.
    Unless, we are really just all, animals.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTP

Ego is what makes us human.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by calb View Post
    Unless, we are really just all, animals.
    We're just doing the world's bidding we're given power but the animals know we're just silly. They're all like fuck clothes but we get embarrassed when we're naked as we've been conditioned to. They don't need money but society has mad it so we do. Useless pieces of paper with numbers attached. And only so much never mind that it's not actually real. We're dependant on it. Even though most people are going to be born go to school get a job get married and have babies then simply die. We're weak compared to animals we live protectes but we believe we're above them, most people wouldn't survive a week in the wild I know I wouldn't. But it's ok because we all are under the delusion that we're separate and above animals, we simply are them in fact they have a better grasp as to what life is
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Quote Originally Posted by tkae. View Post
    I think there is good reason to believe we are the only meaning creating animal. And on top of that, there is good reason to believe we are the only inter-subjective animal.

And putting the two together makes us the most powerful animal on Earth. And of course, with great power comes great responsibility.