User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by SophiaDeep View Post
    There are many people who think the basic problem of humanity is our ego...that we are ego centered/egotistical creatures. But isn't our ego what differ us from animals? Animals are not aware of their existence, they are not aware of their ownselves, so they don't have ego.
    Because of our ego, we're not only aware of our existence, but it also makes us desire, to have power over others, appreciation of our accomplishments, we want to be noticed, we want to know who we are, we are aware of our psychical needs, we are aware of our wisdom, or power and so we use all the characteristics to build up our egos.
    So I wonder, do you think awareness of our ego comes with inteligence? What if we would be inteligent as we are, but wouldn't have egos? What kind of effect would it have on human nature?
    As a species, without ego we would die out. Ego is how we justify slaughtering competitive species.

That said, what a lovely thought. Wire cut the ball and chain.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Ego mediates between our super ego and our id by reality testing.

So a strong ego is necessary to bring our super ego and our id in harmony with reality.

We are seduced to give up our ego by those who want to manipulate us through command on one hand, and through our desires on the other.
    Agreed. A damaged and malfunctioning ego is dangerous, but ego death is counterproductive to functioning (overdoing psychedelics seems to degrade ego function). In my experience, those who preach salvation through ego death are toxic or live like ghosts.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

*subscribed*

Quote Originally Posted by solipsists View Post
    Agreed. A damaged and malfunctioning ego is dangerous, but ego death is counterproductive to functioning (overdoing psychedelics seems to degrade ego function). In my experience, those who preach salvation through ego death are toxic or live like ghosts.
    The work of the ego is integration. And the integrity is the virtue of the ego.

Integration is hard work. And integration is a work of a lifetime. And the prize is integrity.

There are short cuts to integrity such as ideology or gurus. But the short cuts only short change us.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Ego is more or less our self-constructed operating systems to deal with our surroundings, and especially other people/relationships.

“Give us this day our daily mask.”
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Unmask me to see my beating heart.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

I believe in God and that our test is being able to submit our ego to Him. To spend our lives fighting the urge to want to be all that and to admit, "I'm not all that. But my Creator IS." It is a freeing feeling- not a captive feeling. I think this is the entire essence of the journey and test we bear as humans in this life.
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Ego is more or less our self-constructed operating systems to deal with our surroundings, and especially other people/relationships.

I believe that is persona.

Ego would seem to be related, but not exactly the same.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I find @Mole's posts in this thread to be unusually insightful

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I've been thinking about this topic a lot lately.

I find this quote by Jung to be highly relevant to me at my current juncture in life: "The first half of life is devoted to forming a healthy ego, the second half is going inward and letting go of it."

I don't think simply completely letting go of our ego is necessarily the right thing to do, nor even possible (and, if one were to do it, one would probably end up drooling all over themselves or rambling incoherently to people who aren't actually there or something).

What I do find good advice, tho, is kinda what the Enneagram teaches (and Jung teaches in the quote above -- they're actually both essentially the same thing, which is pretty cool, when you think about it, as, at this site, we basically study Jungian and Naranjoan psychology): that there is our true self, our soul, our divine spirit, purusha, our essence, and then there is our sense of self, our false self, our idea about who we are, our ego (a la Karen Horney's ideal self vs real self), and that our ego, this false sense of self that we have, has these associated defenses that accumulate as we grow up, to protect the self, but that, eventually, we outgrow these defenses, and these defenses actually become maladaptive, and start doing more damage than good, and that, as this happens, the more this happens, the more we start becoming neurotic, and that our goal must be to rid ourselves of these ego defenses that have become obsolete, and no longer serve their purpose, and have actually started negatively affecting us, and, instead, just be, be present, live in the now, as who you really are, without the unnecessary defenses, just residing in our divine essence, our truth, our essence.

As opposed to trying to be something, trying to match some image of who we think we are, we instead just BE.

What will happen when we are in this state of being is who we really are.

Not some charade aimed at attempting to be who we think we ought to be.

Anyway, in this sense, I think getting rid of, or overcoming, the ego is actually a good thing.

Or, perhaps better said, understanding what the ego is and putting it in its proper place is a good thing.

The ego, in this understanding, is an unnecessary relic of your past, preventing you from being your actual self.