• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it ever acceptable to lash out at others due to stress?

Is it ever ok to be extremely rude to someone?

• Total voters

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
so the type of situation i'm refering to means it isn't justified, based on your logic

Well I was responding to the question in the thread title.

Yes it is sometimes justified. Sometimes it is not.

Is it ever justifiable, yes. Is it always justifiable no.

That seems pretty common sense.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Well I was responding to the question in the thread title.

Yes it is sometimes justified. Sometimes it is not.

Is it ever justifiable, yes. Is it always justifiable no.

That seems pretty common sense.
so you didn't read the OP?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If it's every once in a while, I'm okay with it, especially if they'll give me the explanation that they had a bad day or whatever. But if it's a regular occurrence and they always have some excuse or the other, it gets a bit old. You get to the point where you want them to just admit that this isn't some rare event, them being mean to you, it's regular. It's not a behavior as much as it is who they are. Then, the issue can be addressed more properly.

S

Stansmith

It can be an explanation, but it isn't necessarily justified. I usually regret reacting in that way.

It can be justified, however, if the person continues to prod you for no good purpose after you've made it clear that you're not in the mood.

Someone's probably already said this, though.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I do it sometimes, but it is not justifiable.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
11 people (so far) never worked in customer service.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The only times I'll do it that I can think of as justifiable are the ones where it is in self-defence and it is meant as a 'shock' to get through to someone who just won't hear you otherwise - because it is the only form of communication they understand or respect.

That would also mean that you would not continue to do it if it didn't work on the person (instead of venting and escalating the situation - extremely hard not to do btw), and that you'd only follow up with that same attitude if you noticed that it worked but more is needed. It also means that you'd stop the second they backed off instead of taking the offence (again, this can be hard as it almost feels like your hunting instinct has been triggered and hounding almost comes natural to ensure maximum safe space between you two).

That said - in theory people would never do this. In practice, we're all human and we've all snapped at some point or another. I think the best you can hope for in people is the self-awareness from the person who snapped that they just did, and the ability to own it and make amends later on (or even during), and understanding of mitigating circumstances for the person who gets snapped at, which would also help them realise that this aint about them and it's nothing personal.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
or have actually read the post

Okay, I read it and my answer is still yes. I have ADD, so that's my excuse for not reading it, and this is analogous to PMS and moodiness.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
While I do think it's human for people to end up being terse or otherwise less considerate when under a ton of stress on occasion, for various psychological/physiological reasons, kneejerk reactions, etc- understanding why someone might be more edgy than usual does not condone their behavior. Self-monitoring & good communication about what you're going through is important. Apologizing when you've done this & making a marked effort to improve on your internal stress management is also important. If you just sweep it under the rug, it never gets better, & relationships may be irreparably damaged.

If the person is incapable of reflecting upon their actions (in the moment or near future) & discussing it with you (& making clear efforts to improve and actually improving over time), then it's probably a good idea to distance yourself emotionally from them, as that sort of lashing out is just plain abusive when there's no remorse or resolve to manage problems/emotional reactions differently.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think having a bad day/whatever is necessarily an excuse to justify bad behavior, but a way to say don't take it personally.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
11 people (so far) never worked in customer service.

Hah! Not me. And working in it has taught me to only reserve extreme rudeness for MAJOR ASSHOLES. And I always tip at least 20% unless I see the waiter/waitress spit in my food (hasn't happened yet).

As far as being rude cuz you're in a bad mood, I don't do it. I'll stay home if I'm in a REALLY foul mood, just so it won't rub off on anyone.