• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Men, Women, and Monkeys (split)

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Ah - thank you, edel weiss.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
So that would mean that more than half of humans are F... by a pretty fair shot.

Why is this so disconcerting to me?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
So that would mean that more than half of humans are F... by a pretty fair shot.

Why is this so disconcerting to me?

I don't think it should be. There are tons of Es/Ss/Fs/Js in the world, and it doesn't make things easier on me.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's exactly the kind of sentence that makes me bitch about this shit.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
If you would take it in the tongue-in-cheek manner in which I'm sure it was intended (as an exaggeration of trends among the sexes, not a decree about the way things always are) you might see the kernel of truth in there. No, not all men are insatiable, uncontrollable horndogs, and not all women are starry-eyed romance novel heroines. The TRENDS are pretty irrefutable, though--men tend to be more visually and physically oriented where women tend to be more emotionally and situationally oriented. Nobody is saying that all women or all men are one way, or that no women or no men are the other.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
And duh, obviously both men and women love to love and love to fuck and obviously there will be men who love to love more than they love to fuck and women who love to fuck more than they love to love and men and women who love neither.

But if you can't see the humor and insight in that comment.... I just don't know what to say to you.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Kegel exercises can level the playing field. Men get older and slower too.
God bless Kegel exercises!!!

:yes:

If you would take it in the tongue-in-cheek manner in which I'm sure it was intended (as an exaggeration of trends among the sexes, not a decree about the way things always are) you might see the kernel of truth in there. No, not all men are insatiable, uncontrollable horndogs, and not all women are starry-eyed romance novel heroines. The TRENDS are pretty irrefutable, though--men tend to be more visually and physically oriented where women tend to be more emotionally and situationally oriented. Nobody is saying that all women or all men are one way, or that no women or no men are the other.
Fo' shizzle!!

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've actually never found gender based humor funny, at all. And no, I'm not supressing my laughter out of some kind of moral determination, I honestly have no inclination to even smile in the first place. A complete lack of it in society wouldn't be a loss for me at least.

Anyway, I really don't like how often these generalizations get thrown around. They are the rule rather than the exception. You can tell me your intent is to jest, but intent does not determine consequence... You know how if you repeat a rumor, you give it strength, no matter what you think or say about it? This is sort of the same.

And the effect does seem apparent. You can call these generalizations insignificant or innocent, but I can't help but notice how someone like myself is basically mute and invisible in a discussion about men and women. You seem to believe it more than you claim.

As for studies about the differences between male and female behavior, I concluded some time ago that the only really enlightening study would be a trend study. We have to examine the opinions of men and women on a variety of subjects and keep tabs on it over a period of decades, and see how much it changes, and which parts change. That would actually be helpful.

heart

heart on fire
Running on estrogen: "TV show I like. Ice cream. Nice bath. Sex. Yeah, any of those, why not? Actually, the ice cream might be less messy."

I hear women say things like this, but I always wonder if it is because they feel they ought to say it. I mean do many women in happy relationships really feel this way? Heck I don't feel this way even when my relationship with husband is getting me down and I'd like to fast track him to the moon.

When young and single, I had a lot more sexual thoughts and interest than I ever let on because it is just not "safe" to be that open. I tend to think women are just as sexual as men but it is not safe to always allow it come to surface. Then too I see a lot of women in vastly unhappy relationships who use sex as power leverage as something to withhold. I never understand how they are able to do that.

not all women are starry-eyed romance novel heroines.

Romance novel heronines usually have a lot of sex. Even the Regency ones now have a lot of sex. ;)

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I hear women say things like this, but I always wonder if it is because they feel they ought to say it. I mean do many women in happy relationships really feel this way? Heck I don't feel this way even when my relationship with husband is getting me down and I'd like to fast track him to the moon.

When young and single, I had a lot more sexual thoughts and interest than I ever let on because it is just not "safe" to be that open. I tend to think women are just as sexual as men but it is not safe to always allow it come to surface. Then too I see a lot of women in vastly unhappy relationships who use sex as power leverage as something to withhold. I never understand how they are able to do that.

I, for one, hope that these women become more open to sharing these thoughts. With me or with other men who would be glad to hear them and not judge.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I've actually never found gender based humor funny, at all. And no, I'm not supressing my laughter out of some kind of moral determination, I honestly have no inclination to even smile in the first place. A complete lack of it in society wouldn't be a loss for me at least.

I agree with this. I don't find gender based humor funny at all, and not even because I think it's 'harmful' or ideological. It just plain isn't funny.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I love a good strong romance novel heroine!!!

:wub:

And the sex scenes are totally hot.

:peepwall:

heart

heart on fire
I, for one, hope that these women become more open to sharing these thoughts. With me or with other men who would be glad to hear them and not judge.

Part of the "unsafe" is knowing your own female nature, that if you allowed yourself to become inappropriately sexual you would end up bonding with someone unsuitable. So it is not that the female doesn't want the sexuality or feel it but that sexuality makes her more vulnerable so she feels she must supress it for self protection.

When a partner arrives and it is safe, then sexuality can flow more freely. At least this is how it seems to me. That women have just as much sexual interest as men but not as free to show it because of the difference in emotional natures and then all the issues around the fact that for a woman, sex can bring a pregnancy.

The married women who tell me they don't like sex with husband or are avoiding it, invaribly seem to be locked into a power struggle with him over childcare and household chores issues. I cannot help but wonder if resentment quells their desire or they are denying themselves in order to leverage power over him> Some of them have admitted they withhold to gain favors or such.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Part of the "unsafe" is knowing your own female nature, that if you allowed yourself to become inappropriately sexual you would end up bonding with someone unsuitable. So it is not that the female doesn't want the sexuality or feel it but that sexuality makes her more vulnerable so she feels she must supress it for self protection.

When a partner arrives and it is safe, then sexuality can flow more freely. At least this is how it seems to me. That women have just as much sexual interest as men but not as free to show it because of the difference in emotional natures and then all the issues around the fact that for a woman, sex can bring a pregnancy.

The married women who tell me they don't like sex with husband or are avoiding it, invaribly seem to be locked into a power struggle with him over childcare and household chores issues. I cannot help but wonder if resentment quells their desire or they are denying themselves in order to leverage power over him> Some of them have admitted they withhold to gain favors or such.

Quite insightful - I've known a couple of women who've said they back off of sex, and find that very difficult, because they know that it creates emotional attachment and they don't want to bond with someone inappropriate (err, not me in this example I'm pleased to say :yes: )