User Tag List

First 23456 Last

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Men aren't simple creatures, they are or rather, can be quite complex, actually.

Here's an interesting article

http://www.econjournalwatch.org/pdf/...ingMay2008.pdf
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Interesting comments.

I sort of agree with most of them, yet none of them.

The truth seems to be that there are differences (triggered mostly by hormonal influences, and the differentiation of particular biological gender structures), yet there's a ton of overlap (as a minor point, each man or woman has varying degrees of hormones in their bodies, there's no "blanket" hormonal profile, just general typical ranges) and society definitely has taken minor or nuanced differences and created social artifices on top of them.

As a side note, though, testosterone's definitely the "sex me up" drug.

Running on testosterone: "Mentally somewhere else; sees a hot girl walks by; gaaa, let's do her, even if I'm not interested and I have a 500lb migraine."

Running on estrogen: "TV show I like. Ice cream. Nice bath. Sex. Yeah, any of those, why not? Actually, the ice cream might be less messy."

That's why women are sometimes prescribed small amounts of testosterone, to bump up their drive a little, when they have trouble being interested but have an interested partner.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFJ

If I can be completely honest, I haven't seen much difference.

Part of the reason why men and women seem so different might be... you know, the whole 'opposites attract' thing. Ignoring the traits that you're not attracted to/mystified by and playing up the traits that do, therefore making the two seem much more 'different' than they really are.

Then again, what I could see happening is there being a rather wide difference between men and women, but it's not even close to the differences that everyone 'know'.

It's more a matter of, if you're looking at the big picture, there's no difference at all, but if you get closer, you see differences, but if you get close enough to see many significant differences, there's too much variance between individuals that these supposed differences could just be considered differences between individuals. It's like, we'd have "A through X" types of behaviors women, but if 5/6ths of the types of behaviors are analogous with types of behaviors with men, and most people only show up to have 3/4ths of the traits... well, that's pretty useless, isn't it?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    And all of the questions I'm asking so far side-step the part about you calling men simple creatures. Which is something of an insult to me, and I imagine you would have an especially hard time validating that with evolutionary psychology.
    I think maybe you took her too seriously-- it looked to me like she was "kidding on the square." Basically kidding but with a grain of seriousness behind it. And she's right, in one sense. Male sexuality is a lot simpler than female sexuality, which makes total sense evolutionarily-speaking because the one biological imperative is that the man must ejaculate to keep the species going.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I think maybe you took her too seriously-- it looked to me like she was "kidding on the square." Basically kidding but with a grain of seriousness behind it. And she's right, in one sense. Male sexuality is a lot simpler than female sexuality, which makes total sense evolutionarily-speaking because the one biological imperative is that the man must ejaculate to keep the species going.
    I agree.

The prerogative to continue the ultimate success of our species must be suitably less dynamic in complexity as to disabuse the male from the sophistication of evolutionary biology.

As females do not possess such a mandate (in the strictest sense), they can afford to restrict their reproductive budget around a position of psychological intimacy; that is to say, the female is able to suspend her desires towards a personalized behavioral construct - like blue eyes; broad shoulders; robust finances - etc.

The comment wasn't - as I read it - meant as an obvious slap. Men are fundamentally simpler in design.

Women love. Men love...to fuck.

This is a good thing.

Thanks Jennifer!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

BTW, I have to say it: "Honeybuns" = :steam:
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post

Women love. Men love...to fuck.

This is a good thing.

Thanks Jennifer!
    The animalistic approach. I love it! Can't wait for Limey to get home tonight!
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ENTP

I honestly don't know what to believe when I hear about gender differences. I do think that some of them exist, but not enough to make very extreme generalizations.

One thing I've noticed in daily life is that men, on a general level, are more likely to better drivers than women. That doesn't mean that women can't be good drivers, or that a woman can't be a batter driver than a man.

In MBTI itself we see that women are more likely to be Feelers than men.

As for sexuality... I guess that since men have the sperm, they're more likely to be promiscuous while women are more picky about choosing a mate for that egg. That doesn't mean society should encourage men to 'sow their oats' and socialize women into believing that they ought to seek monogamy because they're women.

Oh, and I'd rather not think of men as simple creatures. Some men are simple creatures. But some women are simple creatures too. Not all.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by edel weiss View Post

In MBTI itself we see that women are more likely to be Feelers than men.
    Is this true?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Is this true?
    I'm not sure. But I'm pretty sure that feeling will manifest differently in F men and F women, particularly FJ types.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge