User Tag List

First 311121314 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    True, but that's due more to other people's (mis)use of the concept of PMS than to the condition itself. Some radical feminists would deny that any such physiological condition exists at all.
    The only women who think PMS doesn't exist don't ever get it. They do exist. And I despise them.

The problem is not any inherent differences themselves but rather the way the public will shape apparent 'differences' into these easily misused concepts. Though there are differences, they would probably be better off strictly acknowledged biologically and sociologically rather than explicitly socially -- as in, if science finds these new trends, it might be better if the people do not know, if all they're going to do is misuse anything found.

Not like that's ever going to happen... but eh.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    I wonder if they actually mean that or if they're just using that argument as a means to an end. I like to pretend that people are reflective.
    As a means to what end?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    As a means to what end?
    To get people to treat men and women as equals? To take women seriously when they're pissed instead of assuming it's PMS? It's just so absurd an assertion that I'm trying hard to see where it's coming from. (The principle is if you over-reach you'll end up closer than if you reach for the actual impossibly distant target.)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    The only women who think PMS doesn't exist don't ever get it. They do exist. And I despise them.

The problem is not any inherent differences themselves but rather the way the public will shape apparent 'differences' into these easily misused concepts. Though there are differences, they would probably be better off strictly acknowledged biologically and sociologically rather than explicitly socially -- as in, if science finds these new trends, it might be better if the people do not know, if all they're going to do is misuse anything found.

Not like that's ever going to happen... but eh.
    I agree. PMS does exist, but only a portion (I don't know the exact statistic) of the female population experiences its symptoms at all, and among the ones who do, only a small portion experience it to a debilitating degree. Yet people will continue to use it (as it is used in popular parlance) as though it were universally applicable to each and every single woman to an equal degree. Ah well, it can't be avoided.

Edit: phoenix13, I see what you mean now. Perhaps that is their strategy, I don't know. All I do know is that I don't much respect a movement that uses blatant falsehoods as a means of gaining rhetorical clout.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

heart on fire

Premenstrual Syndrome

How common is PMS?

Estimates of the percentage of women affected by PMS vary widely. According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, at least 85 percent of menstruating women have at least one PMS symptom as part of their monthly cycle. Most of these women have symptoms that are fairly mild and do not need treatment. Some women (about three to eight percent of menstruating women) have a more severe form of PMS, called Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD). See the question, "What is Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)?" below for more information.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

heart on fire

All it ever does to me is make me feel more fatigued and slowed down in all ways. I am not at all likely to be extra bitchy, just less EVERYthing. Like the winter of the month.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Everybody has ups and downs, good moods and bad moods. It's part of being human!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Where do you get these pictures?!

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    Where do you get these pictures?!
    Google images!!!

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles