User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What kinds of things offend you?

:0) so/sp
    EII Ne

Question What kinds of things offend you?

Be it culturally, personally, etc. And how do you handle the offense?

"Be clearly aware of the stars and infinity on high.
    Then life seems almost enchanted after all."
    - Vincent van Gogh

infp 4w5 ?w? 9w? so=sp>sx

Being treated as something lesser than a human being... So any kind of abuse basically...

Specifically most of the time... being yelled at... being ordered around... being talked over...

I try to keep my cool and refuse to do as the offender pleases... If the offender continue with the violation, theoretically I would notify pertinent authorities... they do not function that well in my country though...or in high school...

In the past I gave in to the offenders too many times though and those instances left their mark... I didn't have a good support system, neither in terms of family, friends nor authorities... So I had to internalize it and move on...

1w2 sp/so
    SLE Se

I'm really offended by people who intentionally act inappropriate to get a rise out of, make a scene, offend, etc. people they don't know. When it's among friend that's fine because there's mutual understanding. With strangers though? That's called being an asshole.

So in effect, I am offended by people who intentionally try to offend others.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

I am profoundly, deeply and irrevocably offended by those who are hynotised by the world rather than meditating on themselves.

At this point in time I do both, I am hypnotised by the world as well as meditating.

This is a dangerous position to be in as the hypnosis and the meditation reinforce one another and form an addictive trance.

So I am very slowly letting to of the hypnosis and starting to rely just on the meditation. But the addictive trance of hypnosis and meditation is very tempting, even compelling.
    There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing.
    Click on

And to understand the internet click on

Enter the Maelstrom with Marshall McLuhan by clicking on

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar

It's context based and relative, that's all I can really say on what offends me.

Half the time I'm not even sure where my lines are drawn and it seems to me that they are always constantly being rewritten. I know it when I see it, but I don't always see it until I know it and then it is upon me.
    "An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"

… a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm

Everything offends me it's very annoying to say the least. I've gotten offended because someone didn't put their fork down correctly.I'm serious. I usually deal with the offence by reprimanding the person if I know them well or leaving the person if I do not. However, I try to hide the fact that I am offended/get over it(that is honestly very hard for me to do) if I feel I am blowing things out of proportion too much when I can tell that is.

eating bugs out of hair. Array prplchknz's Avatar

People insist they can know someone else's life based on very little
    by @magpie

729 sx/sp
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    People insist they can know someone else's life based on very little
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Are we talking about simple words, or are we talking direct actions against me, too? Punches in the face?

I get the sense that I'm too detached--and too calculating--to get offended by words, for the most part. People are who they are, they do what they do, there may be partial truth in what they say; it's pretty easy to shove their words into proper context. If a person who's close to me has said something that 'should' cause me offense, I just ask for clarification--as those who are close to me are, more often than not, well-intentioned. Those who aren't just don't matter enough to offend me.

For instance, my mother-in-law tried to set my now-wife up with someone from her culture, while the two of us were dating--three times; I didn't get offended. I've had a paper or two get absolutely shredded by editors; some of whom actually read the thing, some of whom clearly hadn't. Either way.. ... well, what's the problem?

Actions, such as breaches of trust or punches to the face (barring sparring), could very well do it for me. Probably also threats against my life (which, yeah, are words).

Disingenuous actions. If you consistently tell me you are going to do something for me but flake out most of the time, then adios. Like @garbage, I don't get offended by words... more of what they might represent of a person's overall character.