Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    All of this. I'm pretty sure it's always been common practice to call someone's sense of self-confidence vanity and narcissism. By petty people that can't stand to see others happy with themselves, they have to drag them down.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

LadyLazarus

Speaking of BS:
    http://time.com/9572/expert-claims-s...ens-head-lice/

I can't believe there's such a thing as a "lice expert"...

the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post

I don't think it does

http://www.realnews24.com/scientists...ental-illness/

probably had something else going on and the selfie was just a variable. I mean you can become this obsessed with anything. and the fact that society puts so much emphasize on the selfie. Like I feel like we put as much emphasize on the selfie as we do on women and make up

you could take anything and find a case in society of someone becoming that obsessed. I think he already had something going on and the selfie thing just made it worse.
    I wonder how this would have unfolded in a different era. It sounds like a modern iteration of body image issues.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I wonder how this would have unfolded in a different era. It sounds like a modern iteration of body image issues.
    You should find out and report back I'll give you costume it will be a buck Rogers one and you can be an official time traveler
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

To my memory, in the 70's, 80's and 90's, taking pictures of yourself was a pretty rare thing. No one I knew did that. No one seemed to even consider doing that. Partly because the cameras didn't lend themselves easily to it, but also I can recall feeling that it was breaking some sort of taboo. I still feel very weird taking a pic of myself. Like it's self-aggrandizement or ultimate narcissism or you weren't interesting enough for someone else to want to take your pic or something (although that's not my opinion, just sharing the kind of baggage that I carry on the topic). Amazing that attitudes toward "selfies" has changed so much in so short a time. I was just talking to my husband about this topic yesterday, so what a neat coincidence to see the discussion here.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

I enjoy selfies, it is a bit of fun. And I love myself... and of course, want to share that love.

Selfies are also existential - they are proof we exist.

And selfies are proof we exist in a special medium: the electronic medium.

For instance, no one felt the need to take selfies when we were reading books, but the moment the electronic media became available, we need to document our existence. And just think, five hundred years from now, they will be able to see we how we existed.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    IEE Ni

I think selfies are dangerous to kids in between the ages of 13-16 I grew up with the selfie generation, and trust me I have seen some people pretty fucking upset about selfies to the point where it could be classified as a mental illness. When you're already dealing with awkward gawky stages of becoming *cough, cough* an adult, and already comparing your physical aesthetics to your peers. Add in social media and people competing to get more "likes" on a selfie for social acceptation, you develop a cold desensitized edge. I take selfies, and I get pretty upset when not a lot of people like them, I actually feel ugly...and I end up deleting it. And i'm not alone, it's actually pretty normal. I've been doing this since I've been 12. I do not like it one bit, I feel pretty vain and stupid, but I also want to feel good about myself as well. And I know the satisfaction of others will never get me there, trust me I know. and I have to see the beauty in me, yada yada yada. It's just so normalized, and I've been doing it with my peers for so long. What i'm trying to say is, I think it is a problem...I think it's a HUGE problem. But I end up sounding like a 50 year old conservative christian man when ever I try to argue about this to others, which is NOT like me at all. idk i take a lot of dramatic selfies, and I feel like a idiot
    "I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."
    -Oscar Wilde

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    To my memory, in the 70's, 80's and 90's, taking pictures of yourself was a pretty rare thing. No one I knew did that. No one seemed to even consider doing that. Partly because the cameras didn't lend themselves easily to it, but also I can recall feeling that it was breaking some sort of taboo. I still feel very weird taking a pic of myself. Like it's self-aggrandizement or ultimate narcissism or you weren't interesting enough for someone else to want to take your pic or something (although that's not my opinion, just sharing the kind of baggage that I carry on the topic). Amazing that attitudes toward "selfies" has changed so much in so short a time. I was just talking to my husband about this topic yesterday, so what a neat coincidence to see the discussion here.
    What is your opinion on selfies, if you don't mind me asking?

Also I feel like this video is relevant to the topic:

7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so