User Tag List

First 567

Oops, not trying to derail this thread here.

What do you think causes it?
    The majority of chronic illnesses/illnesses are caused by nutrient deficiencies. And exposure/ingestion of harsh chemicals.

What do you think is the most effective way of treating them?
    Proper nutrification of the body, healthy diet and a heathy life.
    Now, I think I know what you tried to say to me
    And how you suffered for your sanity
    And how you tried to set them free
    They would not listen, they're not listening still
    Perhaps they never will...

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce Bringsteen View Post
    Just look at history, it's horrible, dictators everywhere.
    This time it is theocrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    This time it is theocrats.
    Theocratic technocrats.
    Now, I think I know what you tried to say to me
    And how you suffered for your sanity
    And how you tried to set them free
    They would not listen, they're not listening still
    Perhaps they never will...

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    danseen

Eh, don't know who that is....

I kind of think the opinions of others' offends you, meh, not my concern...

It's a fact that mental illness is a silly label, don't get pissed off because it contravenes "conservative society".

MBTI
    INTP

So what are they?
    I will use the clinical (psychological) description, feel free to educate yourself on different perspectives (religions, different beliefs) regarding the term: mental disorders or mental illnesses. "A mental disorder is a syndrome characterized by clinically significant disturbance in an individual's cognition, emotion regulation, or behavior that reflects a dysfunction in the psychological, biological, or developmental processes underlying mental functioning. Mental disorders are usually associated with significant distress in social, occupational, or other important activities. An expectable or culturally approved response to a common stressor or loss, such as the death of a loved one, is not a mental disorder. Socially deviant behavior (e.g., political, religious, or sexual) and conflicts that are primarily between the individual and society are not mental disorders unless the deviance or conflict results from a dysfunction in the individual, as described above." –DSM 5 (you should check it out!)

What do you think causes them?
    What causes them? How can I answer this question when scientists don’t even have a definite answer yet? Sorry if I offend anyone but my answer will be quite different from what you heard was the cause of mental illnesses.

1-There’s the spiritual world, physical world, and psychological mind (human mind). These three can affect each other, so something wrong in the spiritual world will manifest itself in the physical body (physical world) or in the psychological mind. I think all of these play a role in the ‘cause’ of mental illnesses. Some are the cause (where things go wrong in it’s nature E.G HIV, AID) and others are the source of ‘effect’ or punishment. It’s like how can you know the nature of a plant If you have not looked inside it’s body to see how it functions. Nor at how the weather can affect it. And so on. Whether you are spiritual or not, I think it’s best to always keep your options opened or look at different perspectives even if they don’t meet your ‘logic’. Or it can only be two (out of the three: SW, PW, PM) that affect one another , physical things might have an affect on your psychological mind or vice versa. But these three are the main categories that overlook all the little things and principles and laws that go within them.

Are you scared of people who are mentally ill?
    I am not scared of people with mental illnesses. In some cases, I definitely would be afraid of what they might possibly do to me.

Do you know anyone who is?
    I will list all the mental illnesses my friends have been diagnosed with: bipolar, ADHD, OCD,
    depression, anxiety, autism, paranoia, cynical disorder, agoraphobia etc

What do you think impact on society is?
    I will only list the impacts I think society contributes to the development of mental disorders in certain individuals. Society has it’s own morals, values and standards that some individuals find hard to achieve (eating disorders e.g) or are emotionally attached or affected by.

These problems in certain individuals starts to affect them emotionally (how they view themselves and the world), then it develops as ‘habits’ in their head. This affects how they treat their bodies. Due to not eating or whatever, their bodies inevitably can’t and don’t function probably or effectively. This affects their emotional and psychological mind to a higher degree or negatively.

Mental health and physical health need to be kept on the same plane.

Sometimes people abuse drugs to fit in with society/people or for whatever reason, then they get addicted. Some televisions shows and whatever media out there affects how we think and see the world. Violent video games can cause people to do violent things sexually or psychical harass others) out in the real world. The people who were victim to the violence caused by the ‘violent’ video game player inevitably develops serious problems.
    Their psychological mind becomes a bad place. Then they start developing emotional problems which unfortunately affect their physical body (self harm, drugs, something goes wrong in their bodies). The people (friends and family) around the person who now has mental health problems or mental illness become worried and emotionally hurt. This is a long string that affect anyone in it’s way. Okay I think you get my point, every bad thing that someone does in society affects different people in different ways. Everyone get’s affected! Be the change you want to see in the world. Hopefully you understood that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What do you think is the most effective way of treating them?

Some mental illnesses have been shown to be treatable by brain surgery (?) or medicines or therapy or exorcism and prayer (depending on what you believe). I think different mental illnesses need different treatments or mixture of both or few. But I think we should keep looking and find the most effective solution.

Do you think you can tell who does or doesn't have a mental illness just by a sole interaction?

I am gonna answer this question the way I answered the previous one. Some mental illnesses are more noticeable than others so I think to a certain extend you can know who has it and who doesn't. I think it depends on what the mental problem or illness is and how it manifests itself in the outside world. I think I am pretty good at telling who has a mental illness and who doesn't. (due to my many years of obsessively reading and searching everything related to mental illness).

WhoCares

Mental illness is a label for people existing outside of a very narrow definition of norms. Pretty much every genius, inventor or artist can be and probably has at one time been described as mentally ill. Society is largely intolerant of anyone who rocks the boat, so labels are affixed so that those who consider themselves normal can be happily certified normal while everyone else is abnormal. Strangely this kind of inclusion\exclusion and diagnose behaviour is quite typical of humans.

There is a wide spectrum of human behaviours present on the planet but humans insist that only a very finite number of them are considered okay. Whatevs....

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

My thoughts on mental illnesses are that I'm glad I don't have any. Oh wait. I do. You'd think I'd remember, considering I have to break out of a straitjacket every day to steal my roommate's jello, then get on here to type to you guys, and other things crazy people do. But I love my fuckupedness. I embrace it. My only complaint so far is that I don't like green jello.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Mental illness is mostly a symptom of the fucked up civilizations we live in and the unnatural way of living it provides.

I am perfectly sane however, and have a job at the church licking windows.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

so what are they?
    They can be a lot of things. Mostly I guess the label occurs when the person is so different from what society calls normal that they have trouble functioning within that society.

what do you think causes them?
    I think genetics probably account for most of them, and the rest are caused by bad parenting, childhood traumas, other outside influences that happen to a person while they are very young. Sometimes both.

are you scared of people who are mentally ill?
    Sometimes. If they're hallucinating and acting unpredictably, for example.

do you know anyone who is?
    Yes

what do you think impact on society is?
    It's a bit of a cog in the wheel of society. The first thing that comes to mind is homelessness.

what do you think is the most effective way of treating them?
    Medication can work for many mental illnesses, and after proper medication, if the world can be just a bit accommodating, sometimes things can work out. It depends on how strong the person's hold on reality is, though.

do you think you can tell who does or doesn't have a mental illness just by a sole interaction?
    Sometimes. If someone is sitting next to me at the bus stop talking to people I can't see, I begin to suspect something might be awry.

LadyLazarus

so what are they?
    As follow.

what do you think causes them?
    I believe most of them are simply something you are born with, however I do think some of them are derived from certain experiences.

are you scared of people who are mentally ill?
    A bit. However, despite the fact that they make a little uneasy, I try not to let it show as I do not believe it was their choice to be mentally ill, plus they're people too and deserve to be treated as such.

do you know anyone who is?
    No.

what do you think impact on society is?
    I don't believe the mentally ill have either a negative or positive impact on society or at least not in anyway that I am able to think of at the moment. I could see them being economically impactful though.

what do you think is the most effective way of treating them?
    Therapy, along with medication when absolutely necessary.

do you think you can tell who does or doesn't have a mental illness just by a sole interaction?
    I think it really depends on the specific illness and its' severity. In mild cases, I would think not.