User Tag List

First 4567 Last

I do believe that there are conditions that may hamper the responsibility of the individual. Yeah... such conditions do not seem like something I would want to have.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

so what are they?

Disorders of the mind. Either physiological or idiopathic.

what do you think causes them?

As many things as causes any other disease, and more.

are you scared of people who are mentally ill?

A little. I am. I'm not scared in general--but I know there are some mentally sick people out there that can harm me. Having come across 1 or 2 in my lifetime, the idea that they're "just" ill is idealistic and out of touch with reality. Illnesses need treatment to survive, before they get worse or out of hand. The idea of someone not seeking treatment is what is scarier than the mental illness itself. I've met many people with some sickness here or there.. and I've seen mental illness that doesn't harm others all the time. It's not a big deal, really. But I'd be lying if I said that it doesn't scare me that someone can genuinely lack the capacity to understand why it's bad to hurt innocent animals or people. And I'm in that people boat.

do you know anyone who is?

Depending on what you consider a mental illness. Almost everyone knows someone that suffers from chronic depression. My grandmother has advanced dementia and I hardly recognize her. I've known a single person that's admitted to being attracted to girls as young as the age of 4, which I classify in that realm of mental illness. I'm about to do an entire clinical rotation at a psych ward, where I'm sure I'll come across tons of mental problems.

what do you think impact on society is?

I think it impacts them not as much as they think it does. No more than physical conditions like cancer and the research and drugs used there. I think mainly its that sometimes a lot of bad things happen because society tries to ignore this--and so they ignore signs that people around them are sick, because they don't want them to be sick. So people go long spans of time without treatment.. and are easily allowed to relapse back into prior ways.

what do you think is the most effective way of treating them?

Leave it to the experts, and be educated. Knowing what to look for, and knowing how to properly handle someone that is mentally ill makes a huge impact--on both your life and theirs. Otherwise, leave it to experts to figure out what needs to be done.

do you think you can tell who does or doesn't have a mental illness just by a sole interaction?

Not at all. It takes knowing a person to find out, truly. Sometimes you can tell right away.. but even my grandmother, people thought we were just terrible people because she's diabetic and we wouldn't let her have a slew of sweet tea and chips and had to physically wrestle them away from her at a restaurant. And she started crying, because she has alzheimers and she doesn't understand why she can't have life-threatening sugar, and since no one understood what was going on, they were just sneering at us for abusing this poor old lady. You can tell, now, on the first interaction that something is wrong... but for a long time, if you never knew her, she just seemed very sweet and quiet.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Socionics
    ILI

So what are they?
    Inherent mental disorders that prove to be a detriment to an individual's lifestyle or life in general or other's lives and lifestyles.

What do you think causes them?
    Genetic factors, Epigenetic factors, Environmental factors.

Are you scared of people who are mentally ill?
    Only if I'm alone with them and their disorder is indicative of any schizo-diagnosis and/or paranoia.

Do you know anyone who is?
    I know someone who has been professionally diagnosed with N.P.D, and even though he is a pretty cool guy, I can sort of see it underneath the surface.

The only reason my grandmother isn't institutionalized is due to state laws concerning the fact that husbands must stay wedded to a clinically insane wife if they put them away. Paranoia is almost unmistakable and entirely irrational (frequent use of the word "they, them" without an antecedent in reference to malicious actions that have been committed and exceptionally irrational fears), would bet my left leg that there are some Schizophrenic or Schizotypal patterns going on as well.

What do you think impact on society is?
    I think that the more common mood disorders have a slight effect on society as a whole, but I think the other, more serious ones, are too rare and isolating to contribute anything. The mentally-ill should, of course, be provided for in some way or another if they prove to not be a detriment to society.

What do you think is the most effective way of treating them?
    I don't particularly know, but I'd bet that programs like CBT would help practically anything. The only true cure seems to be death.

Do you think you can tell who does or doesn't have a mental illness just by a sole interaction?
    Eh. Not really. Though I have had suspicions. One of my friends I suspect would score relatively high on the Aspergers scale, due to not only his behavior but his family history of the disorder, but that's about it.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTP

meh..it doesn't exist. just a tool used to control society and undesirable people.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTP

so what are they?

Labels created by society, used to control and punish people. Normalcy is subjective, and the beliefs of people who lived long ago shouldn't matter to us today. Mental illness is a made-up concept, based on 18th/19th century moral thinking. It uses what Victorian society thought was normal, virtuous and standard as clinical medicine. Science should be objective, not based on personal belief, kind of like how it's personal belief that the Oort Cloud exists, flatworms were amongst the earliest known species with brains and eyes, gold is an element, and the water pressure in the Mariana trench would kill a human instantly...

Anybody who dresses differently, has a different personality, and doesn't live per some conservative norm is "mentally ill". It's not even a true science since it has no real definition, and people like it that way because it's not even seen as a science but a tool to punish. Just like cardiology and gynaecology are tools to punish lol.. Sorry, but psychiatry is bull...

Society. This so since the concept of mental illness doesn't and cannot exist.
    No. Why should I be? I don't believe in scared of anybody without due cause...

No. Well I suspect some are, but then meh....largely due to social over neediness and not respecting boundaries...Mentally healthy people are not socially needy.
    No more or less than any other condition.

They don't exist, so how can they be treated.
    do you think you can tell who does or doesn't have a mental illness just by a sole interaction?
    ect
    I am not going to share mine, nor give you my reasoning for creating this thread. I'm just curious to see how you perceive it.
    yes. Depends on the condition at hand. I can tell if somebody is Asperger's (I suspect a co-worker is, based on how he relates for somebody of his age and how he interacts with other co-workers). I can also tell if somebody is depressed, has schizophrenia, personality disorders and the like. I'm not a mental health professional, but I like to study human conduct.

Quote Originally Posted by annexfriesia View Post
    meh..it doesn't exist. just a tool used to control society and undesirable people.
    Mental asylums are used by totalitarian States to punish and control dissidents.

And it was liberal democracy that closed down the asylums.

And today we have the rise of totalitarianism once again. And once again no one is listening.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by annexfriesia View Post
    danseen

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    danseen
    I think so
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

My theories are just that. I acknowledge that I could be totally wrong.

so what are they?
    chakra imbalances
    separation from the natural environment and pollution
    generally yes
    I know people who are bipolar, a few people who have suffered from depression, and I have known some people with illnesses related to schizophrenia.
    I don't know.
    I couldn't say, unfortunately. Medication + herbs+ energy work+yoga+chakra balancing+healthy diet and exercise and a bunch of other stuff. And lots of love.
    sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Mental asylums are used by totalitarian States to punish and control dissidents.

And it was liberal democracy that closed down the asylums.

And today we have the rise of totalitarianism once again. And once again no one is listening.
    Yes, it will always rise up til people know how to keep it in check and not become so ignoramously complacent.
    Totalitarianism=history in a nutshell. Funny how people think "can't happen here" it's more likely it would happen in any country that not. Just look at history, it's horrible, dictators everywhere.
    Now, I think I know what you tried to say to me
    And how you suffered for your sanity
    And how you tried to set them free
    They would not listen, they're not listening still
    Perhaps they never will...