User Tag List

First 12345 Last

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    wait so they should be treated to the point of not functioning?
    Exactly the opposite. They should be treated so that they can function.

What's a good definition of 'can function'? I'm not sure. Can be happy, can be productive, can be self-sufficient, etc. .. that one's hard to pin down.

That is, if we have to draw a meaningful line between 'illness' and 'not illness,' I'd draw it at 'where the afflicted person can't function'--that is, that a person has a mental 'illness' if he can't function. I'd treat it as a mere personality difference on one side of the line and as an issue on the other.

So as not to be hypocritical or to speak from the outside looking in or what have you--I'll say also that that's where I've drawn it for myself. Lithium sure did treat both ends on the 'manic' and 'depressive' sides, but way too much. Being a zombie wasn't as fun as the movies make it out to be.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by garbage View Post
    Exactly the opposite.

If we have to draw a meaningful line between 'illness' and 'not illness,' I'd draw it at 'where the afflicted person can't function'--that is, that a person has a mental 'illness' if he can't function. I'd treat it as a mere personality difference on one side of the line and as an issue on the other.

So as not to be hypocritical or to speak from the outside looking in--I'll say also that that's where I've drawn it for myself. Lithium sure did treat both ends on the 'manic' and 'depressive' sides, but way too much. Being a zombie wasn't as fun as the movies make it out to be.

What's a good definition of 'can function'? I'm not sure. Can be happy, can be productive, can be self-sufficient, etc. .. that one's hard to pin down.
    yeah I hated being a zombie.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by garbage View Post
    In short -- they exist, and they should (in most cases) be treated to the extent that they prevent someone from functioning. It's all gray; but that's where I'd define the cutoff. That's where the pros tend to draw the line, too.
    The problem is that "functioning" is more often than not defined by the prevailing norms in society. Sometimes, an individual who is considered mentally "defective" in some way or other is content with themselves; it is others that want them to change. For that reason, I embody an accomodationist philosophy more so than one that is only consistent with a curative attitude.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by Hypatia View Post
    The problem is that "functioning" is more often than not defined by the prevailing norms in society. Sometimes, an individual who is considered mentally "defective" in some way or other is content with themselves; it is others that want them to change. For that reason, I embody an accomodationist philosophy more so than one that is only consistent with a curative attitude.
    First of all, it is pretty difficult (for some types more so than others) to be content when there is overwhelming discontent from others directed at oneself. Even for introverted types and even for thinkers. There are also plenty of people who are discontent with themselves even though they're generally liked. My point being that level of contentment with oneself can hardly be used as a measure for mental illness.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    First of all, it is pretty difficult (for some types more so than others) to be content when there is overwhelming discontent from others directed at oneself. Even for introverted types and even for thinkers. There are also plenty of people who are discontent with themselves even though they're generally liked. My point being that level of contentment with oneself can hardly be used as a measure for mental illness.
    You didn't understand my point.

MBTI
    yupp

@garbage, you mean functioning as in able to hold down a job and a few other things right? not functioning as in happy.Because there's a difference
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

The Journal of Neuroscience recently published a study which found that experimenting with cannabis on a casual basis damages the brain permanently.

And as this study in the Journal of Neuroscience suggests, cannabis can have a really serious impact on your mental health.

And this research in the Journal of Neuroscience shows that when people smoke cannabis before the age of 15, it quadruples their chance of developing a psychosis.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    The Journal of Neuroscience recently published a study which found that experimenting with cannabis on a casual basis damages the brain permanently.

And as this study in the Journal of Neuroscience suggests, cannabis can have a really serious impact on your mental health.

And this research in the Journal of Neuroscience shows that when people smoke cannabis before the age of 15, it quadruples their chance of developing a psychosis.
    URL?

Quote Originally Posted by solipsists View Post
    URL?
    Look up the latest issue of the Journal of Neuroscience.