User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    so do you think for the on going ones, once they've been stabilized and are able to function in society, treatment should stop?
    You're asking about on-going mental illnesses, which I would define as those where the chemical imbalance in the brain or the injury isn't curable, even though it's treatable, so I would say that treatment shouldn't stop.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    You're asking about on-going mental illnesses, which I would define as those where the chemical imbalance in the brain or the injury isn't curable, even though it's treatable, so I would say that treatment shouldn't stop.
    I'm trying to get a full picture of people's opinions
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

I'm trying to get a full picture of people's opinions
    so do you think for the on going ones, once they've been stabilized and are able to function in society, treatment should stop?
    Then, my more general answer would be that if they can continue to stay stabilized and function in society once treatment has stopped, then treatment should stop.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

MBTI
    yupp

Then, my more general answer would be that if they can continue to stay stabilized and function in society once treatment has stopped, then treatment should stop.
    but wouldn't that mean their illness isn't long lasting after all. by long lasting I mean lasting a life time.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    yupp

but wouldn't that mean their illness isn't long lasting after all. by long lasting I mean lasting a life time.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

so what are they? I really do try to look at this outside the box of normal and not normal. It's never that black and white.

what do you think causes them? Any number of things from brain trauma to biology to environment to chemical use or congenital disorders.

are you scared of people who are mentally ill? It would depend. There are absolutely very dangerous mentally ill people but generally, mental illness doesn't scare me.

do you know anyone who is? Yes. More than one.

what do you think impact on society is? I assume you mean the impact of the mentally ill on society. I think it runs the gamut from very little impact to huge impacts, depending on the person and their actions.

what do you think is the most effective way of treating them? Getting them diagnosed is probably the biggest hurdle. Beyond that, there can be many kinds of treatment and combinations of treatment

do you think you can tell who does or doesn't have a mental illness just by a sole interaction? Tell exactly what they have by one interaction? No probably not. Can I tell something may be wrong with them from a single interaction? Yes.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Well, I had to think about this. I was assuming that a chemical imbalance could stabilize over time or a brain injury could heal over time, so there was a possibility of stopping treatment. But, after some further thought, I think that most of the mental illnesses listed would require ongoing treatment.

But that might also depend on where you draw the line between normal and mentally ill. Like in the case of depression--is it only an extended period of sadness, or is it full-blown depression? Also, I'm including things like substance abuse and environmental factors in causing chemical imbalance in the brain, so if those aren't permanent changes to the brain, or can be reversed over time, then is it really mental illness?
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    yupp

Well, I had to think about this. I was assuming that a chemical imbalance could stabilize over time or a brain injury could heal over time, so there was a possibility of stopping treatment. But, after some further thought, I think that most of the mental illnesses listed would require ongoing treatment.

But that might also depend on where you draw the line between normal and mentally ill. Like in the case of depression--is it only an extended period of sadness, or is it full-blown depression? Also, I'm including things like substance abuse and environmental factors in causing chemical imbalance in the brain, so if those aren't permanent changes to the brain, or can be reversed over time, then is it really mental illness?
    that's a good question. I think that it still is. But it's not chronic.
    Last edited by prplchknz; 04-13-2014 at 12:08 AM.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

garbage

In short -- they exist, and they should (in most cases) be treated to the extent that they prevent someone from functioning. It's all gray; but that's where I'd define the cutoff. That's where the pros tend to draw the line, too.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by garbage View Post
    In short -- they exist, and they should (in most cases) be treated to the extent that they prevent someone from functioning. It's all gray; but that's where I'd define the cutoff. That's where the pros tend to draw the line, too.
    wait so they should be treated to the point of not functioning?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all