User Tag List

Default Anxiety and Meditation

I get too easily affected by people (that I care about or for whom lowered my guard) ignoring me or giving me negative feedback about my personality... and it keeps circling in my head and gets me down and down for hours or days...

At those times I feel a burning\aching pressure in my chest just below my neck... and appearently it also manifests itself in my face... I squint my eyes and people start asking me if I am ill or tired...

Anyway INFJs and other NFs, do you have small tricks or basic meditation techniques that you employ to get rid of that ill feeling as well as not be affected by or become dependent on people's feedback about yourself...?

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

the yogic idea of "being an observer" of your thoughts, emotions, and sensations is one that has really helped me. instead of attaching to a thought the second it comes up, trying to recognize it objectively and decide what to do with it. it has helped me put a buffer between what happens to me and my reactions to it when i'm mindful of using it.

here's a link to the method i just found by googling (i don't know this dude), but the main points seem consistent with what i've heard from yoga teachers.
    http://yogateacher.com/text/meditati...servation.html
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    the yogic idea of "being an observer" of your thoughts, emotions, and sensations is one that has really helped me. instead of attaching to a thought the second it comes up, trying to recognize it objectively and decide what to do with it. it has helped me put a buffer between what happens to me and my reactions to it when i'm mindful of using it.

here's a link to the method i just found by googling (i don't know this dude), but the main points seem consistent with what i've heard from yoga teachers.
    http://yogateacher.com/text/meditati...servation.html
    Thanks ... I've found that when I close my eyes and imagine the ill-feeling as a dark substances contaminating my body and then visualize sucking it out of my body into a lump and sending it away, I can make the ill-feeling go away...

I've yet to find a way to stop being affected this much though...

I'll give your suggestion a try as well...

There's this thing called Markabah which also works thru visualization... It worked for me once... I know visualize it for protection after cleansing myself so to speak using the method I described above...

http://www.wisdomsdoor.com/wb/hwb-mkb.shtml

I think these methods must be some kind of self-suggestion techniques...

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I focus on other things, work on something else and immerse myself in it, play video games, hang out with friends and have a good time. Ultimately, I recognize the issue, acknowledge that it exists, tell myself that at the moment nothing can be done. I will have to address it later. I turn my attention elsewhere. How I got to this point is near impossible to explain. I saw ruminating as a problem with myself and sought to fix that. Sometimes I still get stuck. I just keep trying to do something else as I am able to and never let go of the idea "this too shall pass" because it always does.

I found meditation to be largely useless. At best it helps a teeny bit. I don't believe it is helpful to everyone. I did practice mindfullness and got a little out of that, and mostly just took away the lessons i learn from it and stopped.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari