• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Poll on substance abuse problems and mental health

Do you have a mental illness/substance abuse/or both

• I have a substance abuse problem

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a mental illness

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • I have both a substance abuse problem and a mental illness

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • i have neither

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • "I have a mental illness and I use drugs recreationally but I do not have a substance abuse problem

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • "I use drugs recreationally but I do not have a substance abuse problem

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Ok so with [MENTION=5645]Qre:us[/MENTION]'s permission i'm doing a poll to see how many people have a substance abuse problem, how many have a mental illness, how many have both, and how many have none. http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...5672&page=32&p=2269368&viewfull=1#post2269368

It's set to private so feel free to just vote or post about it, either one

and for the mental illness part, it has to be diagonosed by a professional

EDIT: I didn't add habitually so vote for the recreational one, and I'll know it can be either one, sorry to be an asshole about it

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I said I have neither only because I am not aware of any mental health problems I possess, which doesn't mean I don't have any.

Substances....not as far as I know unless asthma inhalers count?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I said I have neither only because I am not aware of any mental health problems I possess, which doesn't mean I don't have any.

Substances....not as far as I know unless asthma inhalers count?

haha yeah, i don't think prescribed medicine that helps you breathe count. I doubt you have a mental illness, perhaps low self esteem, last I checked that doesn't count.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
There are many shades of grey between recreational users, and one with a substance abuse problem.

The choices don't reflect that.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I use mental illnesses recreationally but I do not have a substance abuse problem

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
You and I define recreational differently.

apparently. But I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. Hope you're ok with that.

not passive agressive, just making sure you're fine with seeing it two different ways

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
apparently. But I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. Hope you're ok with that.

not passive agressive, just making sure you're fine with seeing it two different ways

Recreational for me, is someone who never partakes by themselves. When they do partake it's mostly at social gatherings etc..

For someone to have a problem, their life revolves around use. They show up to work inebriated etc...

I and many folks I know are pretty much daily users, but we're not showing up to work fucked up, or showing up to any important event fucked up. More to the point, the amount we consume on a monthly basis is not increasing year over year.

Basically, I consider habitual anyone who's found their drug of choice, but is in control of the fun they have with it.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Recreational for me, is someone who never partakes by themselves. When they do partake it's mostly at social gatherings etc..

For someone to have a problem, their life revolves around use. They show up to work inebriated etc...

I and many folks I know are pretty much daily users, but we're not showing up to work fucked up, or showing up to any important event fucked up. More to the point, the amount we consume on a monthly basis is not increasing year over year.

Basically, I consider habitual anyone who's found their drug of choice, but is in control of the fun they have with it.

Yeah, I see your point. But this is the 2nd time doing the poll, so I guess a subset is gonna be left out.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Habitual users for one. Like the guy who has a beer (or other alcoholic beverage) after getting off work everyday.

yeah, i can fall in and out of 'habitual' versus 'recreational' use of substances, although i chose the last option.

when i was mentally unwell, i did not use any substances. they directly coincided. when i became less healthy, i stopped using substances completely. when i started to become healthier again, i started using substances either recreationally or habitually again.

that's kinda what makes me think i'm not abusing them. because if i were, i'd imagine i would have increased my use when i was mentally unwell. use of substances, for me, seems to be evidence of healthy enjoyment of life.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yeah, i can fall in and out of 'habitual' versus 'recreational' use of substances, although i chose the last option.

when i was mentally unwell, i did not use any substances. they directly coincided. when i became less healthy, i stopped using substances completely. when i started to become healthier again, i started using substances either recreationally or habitually again.

that's kinda what makes me think i'm not abusing them. because if i were, i'd imagine i would have increased my use when i was mentally unwell. use of substances, for me, seems to be evidence of healthy enjoyment of life.
werd

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
clearly right now it's not a large enough sample, but the results if I think about it, really aren't that surprising. It's rare that someone just has a substance abuse problem. it's also rare that a person who has a mental illness just using drugs recreationally

I'm not saying those two instances aren't possible, just that they tend to be rare IME (limited)

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm finding it hard to make a choice, because I'm never been diagnosed with a mental illness apart from ADD and I don't want to count self-diagnosis. Also I wouldn't consider myself as having a substance abuse problem, but I'm also beyond recreational use. I guess I use marijuana habitually and anything else is recreational? :shrug:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm finding it hard to make a choice, because I'm never been diagnosed with a mental illness apart from ADD and I don't want to count self-diagnosis. Also I wouldn't consider myself as having a substance abuse problem, but I'm also beyond recreational use. I guess I use marijuana habitually and anything else is recreational? :shrug:

I don't consider weed use an addiction. and yeah don't do it based on self DX. see my edit in the OP

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't consider weed use an addiction. and yeah don't do it based on self DX.

Yeah, I'd definitely call it a habit though. I can go a while without it and I'm fine, apart from headaches and insomnia. Anything else I do is social or occasional.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yeah, I'd definitely call it a habit though. I can go a while without it and I'm fine, apart from headaches and insomnia. Anything else I do is social or occasional.

I edited the OP should be helpful