• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Poll on substance abuse problems and mental health

Do you have a mental illness/substance abuse/or both

• I have a substance abuse problem

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a mental illness

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • I have both a substance abuse problem and a mental illness

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • i have neither

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • "I have a mental illness and I use drugs recreationally but I do not have a substance abuse problem

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • "I use drugs recreationally but I do not have a substance abuse problem

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
:shrug: I wish people who explain why they voted for what they voted for.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I voted that I have neither. Any mental illness would be self-diagnosed, so it doesn't count, though I'm sure I'm depressed. I stopped drinking in my 20's when I had one drink and then threw up all the next day--there's something in alcohol that my body can't tolerate. Never tried any illegal substances--when and where I grew up, beer was the substance of choice.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Explaining my vote:

I voted that "I have a mental illness" (several diagnoses: ADHD [if that counts], PTSD, & recovered from anorexia nervosa, still struggle w/body image issues).
I do not have a substance abuse problem.

I have in the past experimented with drugs, but never developed an addiction. Stepped away when I felt dependence trying to worm its way in.

I very infrequently participate in social drinking, as far as recreational substance use goes. Maybe a few drinks in one night every few months.
I use cannabis explicitly for migraines when Rx medicines fail (it works), so I don't count that. I don't enjoy the high derived from THC, it just makes me tired as hell.

I have 1-2 cups of coffee a day, max. Used to drink almost a whole pot a day up until 2010. I don't get headaches or any withdrawal symptoms when I've run out of coffee, but I definitely used to when I drank a lot more.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I voted that I have neither. Any mental illness would be self-diagnosed, so it doesn't count, though I'm sure I'm depressed. I stopped drinking in my 20's when I had one drink and then threw up all the next day--there's something in alcohol that my body can't tolerate. Never tried any illegal substances--when and where I grew up, beer was the substance of choice.
Yeah self dianosing is bad news. I was on wikipedia and reading about cognitive problems, and managed to convince myself I had a brain lesion.
Explaining my vote:

I voted that "I have a mental illness" (several diagnoses: ADHD [if that counts], PTSD, & recovered from anorexia nervosa, still struggle w/body image issues).
I do not have a substance abuse problem.

I have in the past experimented with drugs, but never developed an addiction. Stepped away when I felt dependence trying to worm its way in.

I very infrequently participate in social drinking, as far as recreational substance use goes. Maybe a few drinks in one night every few months.
I use cannabis explicitly for migraines when Rx medicines fail (it works), so I don't count that. I don't enjoy the high derived from THC, it just makes me tired as hell.

I have 1-2 cups of coffee a day, max. Used to drink almost a whole pot a day up until 2010. I don't get headaches or any withdrawal symptoms when I've run out of coffee, but I definitely used to when I drank a lot more.
I wasn't counting coffee.and yes ADHD counts. I just don't want people to take online quizzes and say they have a disorder, when they don't/haven't been diagnosed professionally

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wasn't counting coffee.

Wasn't sure if you were, but it's technically a substance people can get dependent on.. I'm just being pedantic now, don't mind me.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Discounting a past phase of situational depression and behavioral (almost?-)addiction, I'm neurotypical and I abuse no substances. So: 4th option

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
[MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] [MENTION=8244]Eilonwy[/MENTION] [MENTION=6724]DiscoBiscuit[/MENTION]

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Did you mean "a substance abuse solution"? :laugh:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Oh.

Well, if we're being serious, it's interesting there's only one vote for having a substance abuse problem, mentally ill or otherwise.

yeah. i find it interesting as well, very different from how it is in society IME

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think denial is a factor in self-reportage.

I was actually thinking that. Maybe I should've said "have been diagnosed with a mental illness"

also there's so much mis information about what addiction actually is out there, just like with mental illness, but that's a whole different ball park

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
I was actually thinking that. Maybe I should've said "have been diagnosed with a mental illness"

also there's so much mis information about what addiction actually is out there, just like with mental illness, but that's a whole different ball park

Oh, I actually made that comment with the fuzzy line between recreational use and abuse in mind, but I'm sure self-diagnosis is an issue as well.