• I have a substance abuse problem

0 0%
  • I have a mental illness

6 26.09%
  • I have both a substance abuse problem and a mental illness

1 4.35%
  • i have neither

10 43.48%
  • "I have a mental illness and I use drugs recreationally but I do not have a substance abuse problem

3 13.04%
  • "I use drugs recreationally but I do not have a substance abuse problem

3 13.04%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    You and I define recreational differently.
    apparently. But I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. Hope you're ok with that.

not passive agressive, just making sure you're fine with seeing it two different ways
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    apparently. But I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. Hope you're ok with that.

not passive agressive, just making sure you're fine with seeing it two different ways
    Recreational for me, is someone who never partakes by themselves. When they do partake it's mostly at social gatherings etc..

For someone to have a problem, their life revolves around use. They show up to work inebriated etc...

I and many folks I know are pretty much daily users, but we're not showing up to work fucked up, or showing up to any important event fucked up. More to the point, the amount we consume on a monthly basis is not increasing year over year.

Basically, I consider habitual anyone who's found their drug of choice, but is in control of the fun they have with it.

MBTI
    yupp

Recreational for me, is someone who never partakes by themselves. When they do partake it's mostly at social gatherings etc..

For someone to have a problem, their life revolves around use. They show up to work inebriated etc...

I and many folks I know are pretty much daily users, but we're not showing up to work fucked up, or showing up to any important event fucked up. More to the point, the amount we consume on a monthly basis is not increasing year over year.

Basically, I consider habitual anyone who's found their drug of choice, but is in control of the fun they have with it.
    Yeah, I see your point. But this is the 2nd time doing the poll, so I guess a subset is gonna be left out.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Habitual users for one. Like the guy who has a beer (or other alcoholic beverage) after getting off work everyday.
    yeah, i can fall in and out of 'habitual' versus 'recreational' use of substances, although i chose the last option.

when i was mentally unwell, i did not use any substances. they directly coincided. when i became less healthy, i stopped using substances completely. when i started to become healthier again, i started using substances either recreationally or habitually again.

that's kinda what makes me think i'm not abusing them. because if i were, i'd imagine i would have increased my use when i was mentally unwell. use of substances, for me, seems to be evidence of healthy enjoyment of life.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    yeah, i can fall in and out of 'habitual' versus 'recreational' use of substances, although i chose the last option.

when i was mentally unwell, i did not use any substances. they directly coincided. when i became less healthy, i stopped using substances completely. when i started to become healthier again, i started using substances either recreationally or habitually again.

that's kinda what makes me think i'm not abusing them. because if i were, i'd imagine i would have increased my use when i was mentally unwell. use of substances, for me, seems to be evidence of healthy enjoyment of life.
    werd
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    yupp

clearly right now it's not a large enough sample, but the results if I think about it, really aren't that surprising. It's rare that someone just has a substance abuse problem. it's also rare that a person who has a mental illness just using drugs recreationally

I'm not saying those two instances aren't possible, just that they tend to be rare IME (limited)
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I'm finding it hard to make a choice, because I'm never been diagnosed with a mental illness apart from ADD and I don't want to count self-diagnosis. Also I wouldn't consider myself as having a substance abuse problem, but I'm also beyond recreational use. I guess I use marijuana habitually and anything else is recreational?

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    I'm finding it hard to make a choice, because I'm never been diagnosed with a mental illness apart from ADD and I don't want to count self-diagnosis. Also I wouldn't consider myself as having a substance abuse problem, but I'm also beyond recreational use. I guess I use marijuana habitually and anything else is recreational?
    I don't consider weed use an addiction. and yeah don't do it based on self DX. see my edit in the OP
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I don't consider weed use an addiction. and yeah don't do it based on self DX.
    Yeah, I'd definitely call it a habit though. I can go a while without it and I'm fine, apart from headaches and insomnia. Anything else I do is social or occasional.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    Yeah, I'd definitely call it a habit though. I can go a while without it and I'm fine, apart from headaches and insomnia. Anything else I do is social or occasional.
    I edited the OP should be helpful
    In no likes experiment.

that is all