• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hyperbole and a Half / Allie Brosh

á´…eparted

passages
Who else here knows/follows Hyperbole and a Half, or has gotten the book? The reason I ask is I think it's simply wonderful. Not only are many of her posts/comics downright hilarious, she's super insightful. Additionally, those insights are usually very relateable to a lot of people, and subsequently helpful.

For those who aren't familiar, she makes purposefully crudely drawn comics and stories that tell tales of her childhood, life, pets, and internal dealings. A comic image that probablly everyone here has seen at one point is the ALL THE THINGS meme; that was done by her.

Part of the reason I initially got into it several years ago was the sheer hilarity of her stories, and in particular about her childhood, how much I related to how she acted as a little kid. But, it was when she made her adventures in depression comic, that I really related to. It hit really close to home to me. She then dissapeared for a year and a half. Some actually wondered if she was even still alive (though if one took some time to look they saw she was ok). Then she released depression part 2, which hit even closer to home for me. Many people felt this way. It felt a lot like my exact experiences with it. Even down to parallel corn reactions that I've experienced. I've watched a few interviews of her, and I was shocked at how similar I seemed to her even in presentation. She's a little more subdued than I am most of the time, but outside of that, wow talk about similarities! Even the way she talks is nearly the same. It just reinforced my relation to it all.

Anyway, I really wanted to share this because I find it all to be hilarious and supportive at the same time. I really consider this to be amazing work. I wish I could post some of the chapters on the book in here because they contain some of the best stuff. One in particular I did almost exactly verbatim when I was a kid, right down to the aftermath. Others, made me uncomfortable with how accurate I related (and subsequently shitty feeling).

So yeah! Thoughts?

DEPRESSIONTWO65alt.png

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My favorite one is in the book (the chapter "the parrot"). What I lovr about the fish story is the whole "I'm sorry! *stab* I'm sorry! *stab* I'M SORRY! *stabstabstabstabstab*.

The fact that her dad had to come kill the fish for her. I have the book, I just haven't read it... I'm afraid to read it in public because I'm sure I'll just be laughing hysterically and people will stare.

á´…eparted

passages
The fact that her dad had to come kill the fish for her. I have the book, I just haven't read it... I'm afraid to read it in public because I'm sure I'll just be laughing hysterically and people will stare.

Oh yes... you will laugh hysterically, I garuntee it :D

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love Hyperbole and a Half and have used certain stories of Allie Brosh as inspiration for my own writing. I bought the book after reading some of the stories online.

Sometimes she is a bit too "bright" and positive (despite often covering things like depression) for me to find super relatable, but she is very insightful for sure. And the simple little drawings are genius. It's hard to find written things that can make me laugh, but she somehow does it.