User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Ginkgo

I don't necessarily agree with the notion that you need to make eye contact with someone to have a meaningful interaction with them. I mean, prolonged eye-contact just comes across as intimidating, awkward, and even coldly reptilian, so why force it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with the notion that you need to make eye contact with someone to have a meaningful interaction with them. I mean, prolonged eye-contact just comes across as intimidating, awkward, and even coldly reptilian, so why force it?
    I heard somewhere that prolonged eye contact signals either aggression or sexual interest. Sounds like a factoid and I can't find much to support that claim, but considering many people become inexplicably uncomfortable by uninterrupted eye contact, I think there's a grain of truth in that statement.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post

Let's dance, inari!
    Yeah bunny! woot woot
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by five sounds View Post
    Was just talking about this with a friend recently. Really cool from a cultural/linguistic standpoint, but thank goodness I'm not a Japanese girl. I'd be in time out. Hah!
    I know. I wonder if they mess up when they are first learning?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    I heard somewhere that prolonged eye contact signals either aggression or sexual interest. Sounds like a factoid and I can't find much to support that claim, but considering many people become inexplicably uncomfortable by uninterrupted eye contact, I think there's a grain of truth in that statement.
    I used to feel like this when people wanted to make eye contact with me; then I started to not mind it by just looking at their eyes like any other body part. Anyway, after I started doing it about as much as other people I noticed it doesn't have to be uninterrupted- you just have to periodically look at people when they are talking like an affirmative yes, ok, un-huh, that kind of thing. Dunno if that helps. I think mirroring a person that way helps if they are uncomfortable with eye contact too.

WALMART

No shoes, no shirt, no service.

Kids in hawaii go to school barefoot with only a pair of shorts on!

garbage

A lot of them.

Cards are up there. Really, anything involving something tedious that we're 'expected' to reciprocate to one another.

I ain't gonna run to no damn Hallmark to pick up a Christmas card for you when I talk to you all the time anyway

Thankfully, the most egregious of them aren't 'enforced' so often.

MBTI
    yupp

that one where someone is lecturing you about something, that you can't be like shut the fuck up, I don't care. and them not get pissed
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Saying "Bless you" or "geshundheit (sp?)" when someone sneezes. What's the point in that? Why that phrase? Sneezing is just one of those involuntary bodily functions and no more. Why don't we say certain magic words when someone coughs, burps, hiccups, farts, etc. What makes sneezing so special?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by garbage View Post
    Cards are up there. Really, anything involving something tedious that we're 'expected' to reciprocate to one another.

I ain't gonna run to no damn Hallmark to pick up a Christmas card for you when I talk to you all the time anyway
    Exactly. If I want to give a special holiday greeting to someone I see often, I will write a short note (on whatever is available), send an email, or even give them something like a small box of cookies. Something that comes from me and my desire to recognize the occasion and our relationship.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENFx
    Enneagram
    732 so

I think social convention all makes sense to me. Though I do believe some areas should be curtailed more like unnecessary discrimination yet I also believe that harmless liberties as long as they are considerate/private should be more allowed.
    It's certain individuals and groups that get to me more than the conventions. I see morality efficiently keeps the masses in order and big apparent improvements to this could cause issues. As an individual I am quite sensitive to certain things that are allowed though I'm also feeling anchored down by how I'm expected to be. In statistics, there is always some minority and I am thankful that society is at least somewhat consistent. Mind, I rarely think about such things and am guided by principles instead of rules, yet those principles are pretty strong due to my nervous nature.

I'm pretty neutral, any issue is just a challenge to me and looking back, every challenge I've ran into has just become an achievement marking that I survived society. I'm chill and just deal with things, not liberal or conservative even, I'm just focused on me, my friends and my family regardless of how culture is. I compromise as best as I can with society, in the end of the day life is all experience in my eyes. The law has not much say behind close doors and no evidence, as well, I think its fine to be say discriminatory if no one gets hurt like if its a joke yet I know people do get hurt so I wouldn't say it anyone's presence. This is why I am largely careless beyond what personally affects me and society so far hasn't really crossed that line too much with me, any minority I am a part of is maturing into the majority, seems I am at one with the progressive nature of society and evolution is me just like anyone else the trick is to not be the defective ever-decimating minority. All else is a fight for rights and society seems very open to rights, all I can hope is it selects the rights that adhere to mine as it is -society- that gave me my values and it is my will or defect to be in any way different to that. Don't know if this spells Fi or Fe.

That's me, anyway.