• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people hate tradional thoughts and practices?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Perhaps they are first trying to free themselves of the conditioning of the tradition so that they can define their own identity and style... to design innovative things...

And then perhaps when their style settles and stabilizes in time, they may try to integrate tradition more into their lives and styles, some kind of reconciliation...

The reverse may be true for the traditionalists as well...
Ok there's nothing wrong with tradition and there's nothing wrong with non comformity. What I have a problem with is the people who go out of their way to do either one and not remain true to themselves

yeghor

Ok there's nothing wrong with tradition and there's nothing wrong with non comformity. What I have a problem with is the people who go out of their way to do either one and not remain true to themselves

It's an ongoing process...finding one's true self...

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Most men want children, there's no getting around it.

Why hate that though?

Just find a guy that fits you. People can still have a hard time finding someone even if they do want kids.

I don't hate the guys for that, to be clear. But to deny that it is a constraining factor that makes me nervous dating someone long term? It's definitely there.. The expectation that I'll magically flip a switch in my head, want children, and contribute to building a family. But I'm 27 years old, and everyone around me has flipped their switch yes or no. This isn't stopping me from dating or anything--I'm doing just that.. finding someone that fits me well, and enjoying my time with them. But eventually that factor is going to come up. and I have no idea how to handle that with a long term SO. It's a bridge I have to cross when I get there. I just hate, and am inconvenienced by, the issue entirely.. because there would be less expectations if traditions like starting a family of one's own weren't really the norm. It's not a bad thing--it just sort of sucks for me. If that makes sense.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I don't hate the guys for that, to be clear. But to deny that it is a constraining factor that makes me nervous dating someone long term? It's definitely there.. The expectation that I'll magically flip a switch in my head, want children, and contribute to building a family. But I'm 27 years old, and everyone around me has flipped their switch yes or no. This isn't stopping me from dating or anything--I'm doing just that.. finding someone that fits me well, and enjoying my time with them. But eventually that factor is going to come up. and I have no idea how to handle that with a long term SO. It's a bridge I have to cross when I get there. I just hate, and am inconvenienced by, the issue entirely.. because there would be less expectations if traditions like starting a family of one's own weren't really the norm. It's not a bad thing--it just sort of sucks for me. If that makes sense.

It makes total sense.

I do have a question for you though...

Would the human race be better served by family creation being the norm, or not being the norm?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
It makes total sense.

I do have a question for you though...

Would the human race be better served by family creation being the norm, or not being the norm?

I think a mixture of the two is necessary for survival. We need people to be free of constraints of children to do things that people who nurture and care for children cannot themselves. Everyone has a role in this--and just because I lack children does not mean I lack a responsibility towards children. It takes a village, and all that.

I'm not saying I know the future.. and maybe some freak thing will happen and I'll end up with a kid. I am saying that the idea is terrifying 27 years later, and that I have had nothing and no one ever to motivate me even remotely into considering things outside of pure, fictional hypotheticals.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I think a mixture of the two is necessary for survival. We need people to be free of constraints of children to do things that people who nurture and care for children cannot themselves. Everyone has a role in this--and just because I lack children does not mean I lack a responsibility towards children. It takes a village, and all that.

I'm not saying I know the future.. and maybe some freak thing will happen and I'll end up with a kid. I am saying that the idea is terrifying 27 years later, and that I have had nothing and no one ever to motivate me even remotely into considering things outside of pure, fictional hypotheticals.

Having children is certainly a scary thing that no one is ever ready for. :yes:

But, as much as I value my freedom etc., there is nothing I want more than to get to raise some kids to be awesome people to carry on when I am gone. If I don't have a son my last name dies with me...

I think my future kids will be a positive influence on the world. I want who I am (my genes) to play a role in what the future of the human race looks like.

I'm selfish enough as it is, I can't wait to find a woman I love more than I love me, and to then have kids I'd gladly lay down my life for. I think that will fulfill me in a way that all the traveling, consumption, fun etc... never could.

I don't really worry about screwing my future kids up because my folks did a pretty good job with me and my sis.

But then again different strokes for different folks.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I lean toward not wanting kids, but my mother threw an interesting conundrum at me.

I thought that in many ways having children is actually rather irresponsible, what with population problems, questions about my abilities to be a parent, all the kids in need of being adopted, etc... My mother said asked me what kind of person would actually forgo having children because of the possible broader damage done by it? A particularly intelligent, conscientious person, that's who. Which ironically means that if I don't have kids, I fail to pass on the genes and the rearing of someone who is intelligent and conscientious, while leaving people who couldn't be bothered to think about it to propagate, essentially selecting for an inferior population.

She got me there.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Having children is certainly a scary thing that no one is ever ready for. :yes:

But, as much as I value my freedom etc., there is nothing I want more than to get to raise some kids to be awesome people to carry on when I am gone. If I don't have a son my last name dies with me...

I think my future kids will be a positive influence on the world. I want who I am (my genes) to play a role in what the future of the human race looks like.

I'm selfish enough as it is, I can't wait to find a woman I love more than I love me, and to then have kids I'd gladly lay down my life for. I think that will fulfill me in a way that all the traveling, consumption, fun etc... never could.

I don't really worry about screwing my future kids up because my folks did a pretty good job with me and my sis.

But then again different strokes for different folks.

Which is fine and dandy for you. But.. I have nothing tying me to my last name--it goes away when I marry, and even if it doesn't, there's nothing stopping me from adapting my name in any way--adopting children can have their names changed, single moms can have their sons take their name, there is nothing tying me down name wise. And even then.. Who says you'll have a son? Who says he'll carry on your name? Maybe he'll not ever want kids, or will never be able to have them.. So it's just .. what.. delaying the inevitable? That YOUR particular last name will die out? Chances are someone else has it.. or someone else will change their name to it eventually. It'll carry on somewhere, somehow. Or it won't, and no one will care really. Except you. and you'll be dead. I just don't see the huge attachment to the last name game.

I've had many people in my life I'd lay my life down for--and none of them were my children. It's a great feeling, but I think if you just limit it to you and yours there then you're missing the point.

Genetics are so, so similar and so, so arbitrary.. Your genetics will change so drastically in 2-3 generations. I look nothing like my great grandparents did. Yeah, you'll look like your mother or father. Your great grandson won't look completely like you. Eventually it all waters down.

The only thing I even see remotely valid is that you want this feeling of fulfillment from a family--which it can definitely give you. And I feel it is one of the most valid reasons for having a family.. to feel whole, and have people to love, and to be loved back. That is sorely underestimated in a world where love isn't really emphasized the way it should be. But there are many, many forms of love, and some people don't have the same ties to family that others do. For many reasons.

None of this is wrong--what you said, nor what I just said. It's just that you think more traditionally, and I don't see the point in any of it.. but the fact that many, many people think exactly the way you do (again, not necessarily negative) starts to push into my life because others cannot fathom that I'd like things differently from most. It's frustrating, and feels a bit caged in.. Like I'm ruining their whole set up or something. The set up is fine. It just isn't my set up.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Which is fine and dandy for you. But.. I have nothing tying me to my last name--it goes away when I marry, and even if it doesn't, there's nothing stopping me from adapting my name in any way--adopting children can have their names changed, single moms can have their sons take their name, there is nothing tying me down name wise. And even then.. Who says you'll have a son? Who says he'll carry on your name? Maybe he'll not ever want kids, or will never be able to have them.. So it's just .. what.. delaying the inevitable? That YOUR particular last name will die out? Chances are someone else has it.. or someone else will change their name to it eventually. It'll carry on somewhere, somehow. Or it won't, and no one will care really. Except you. and you'll be dead. I just don't see the huge attachment to the last name game.

I've had many people in my life I'd lay my life down for--and none of them were my children. It's a great feeling, but I think if you just limit it to you and yours there then you're missing the point.

Genetics are so, so similar and so, so arbitrary.. Your genetics will change so drastically in 2-3 generations. I look nothing like my great grandparents did. Yeah, you'll look like your mother or father. Your great grandson won't look completely like you. Eventually it all waters down.

The only thing I even see remotely valid is that you want this feeling of fulfillment from a family--which it can definitely give you. And I feel it is one of the most valid reasons for having a family.. to feel whole, and have people to love, and to be loved back. That is sorely underestimated in a world where love isn't really emphasized the way it should be. But there are many, many forms of love, and some people don't have the same ties to family that others do. For many reasons.

None of this is wrong--what you said, nor what I just said. It's just that you think more traditionally, and I don't see the point in any of it.. but the fact that many, many people think exactly the way you do (again, not necessarily negative) starts to push into my life because others cannot fathom that I'd like things differently from most. It's frustrating, and feels a bit caged in.. Like I'm ruining their whole set up or something. The set up is fine. It just isn't my set up.

We very fundamentally disagree on what family is or means.

My grandfather, father, and I look exactly alike. That's not even the point though. I want to pass on my sense of humor I got from my mom, and the intelligence I inherited from both sides. You can't take anything with you when you go. And without kids, how will anyone ever know you were ever here in the first place?

Too lazy to expound really, but I'll just say this...

For your sake, I hope your mind never changes. Or if it does change, that it does so while you can still act on it.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

For sure... though some people have a really good sense of that and others don't. For some it takes a longer amount of time to individuate and come into their own.

I lean toward not wanting kids, but my mother threw an interesting conundrum at me.

I thought that in many ways having children is actually rather irresponsible, what with population problems, questions about my abilities to be a parent, all the kids in need of being adopted, etc... My mother said asked me what kind of person would actually forgo having children because of the possible broader damage done by it? A particularly intelligent, conscientious person, that's who. Which ironically means that if I don't have kids, I fail to pass on the genes and the rearing of someone who is intelligent and conscientious, while leaving people who couldn't be bothered to think about it to propagate, essentially selecting for an inferior population.

She got me there.

If having children isn't your thing, you can still volunteer with children in need and help them become more like the children you would have raised. In some ways having someone help take care of the children who already exist but lack support would be to a greater good than having new children and giving them support. The genes... eh, oh well, genes are a crapshoot anyway.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't really like tradition.

But it's not like I don't like it just because I want to be different or something. That's stupid.

I just don't like blindly following what others have done in the past, without asking why.

If I like something, I like it, if I don't I don't. But it takes me quite a bit of time to figure out what I actually like.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Do many people really hate traditional thoughts and practices? I don't really meet or see that many of them around, in fact, quite the opposite.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
Although i realise that prpl means 'why don't people just be who they are, rather than try so hard to be something else and project fakeness', to which i reply that sometimes it takes people a long time to realise and be confident enough in who they are to not adopt a particular trend as a means of identifying who they are.

But thinking on the title of the post more, i really do wonder what traditional and tradition means.

For me, for example, as woman, does it mean that i am meant to be married with children and a stay at home mum? Or in this day and age, am i being traditional in NOT being a married stay at home mother?

Is being yourself bucking tradition if you chose to be something other than the 'norm'? and what even is the norm anyway? It changes from culture to culture.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Although i realise that prpl means 'why don't people just be who they are, rather than try so hard to be something else and project fakeness', to which i reply that sometimes it takes people a long time to realise and be confident enough in who they are to not adopt a particular trend as a means of identifying who they are.

But thinking on the title of the post more, i really do wonder what traditional and tradition means.

For me, for example, as woman, does it mean that i am meant to be married with children and a stay at home mum? Or in this day and age, am i being traditional in NOT being a married stay at home mother?

Is being yourself bucking tradition if you chose to be something other than the 'norm'? and what even is the norm anyway? It changes from culture to culture.

Yea, I was questioning this as well.

Prpl sorta sounded like tatoos are non traditional...

But I do not know one person other than me and my mom who doesn't have one. It's the norm to get a tatoo round these parts.

The "norm" line is blurry and subjective I think.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Traditions are those customs and practices which are handed down from generation to generation. Yes, they will be different for different cultures, so what is traditional in one culture may not be in another. Traditions eventually change, and we can even make new traditions, but if you are doing something relatively uncommon in the past couple of generations, you are probably not following tradition. Still OK - just not traditional.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
I don't like tradition because it forces people to adopt a specific lifestyle, whether they want to or not. Maximal freedom can only be accomplished by breaking social/traditional rules.

Btw [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION] 6w7 for your enneagram?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't like tradition because it forces people to adopt a specific lifestyle, whether they want to or not. Maximal freedom can only be accomplished by breaking social/traditional rules.
I'm not talking about blindly following tradition

Btw [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION] 6w7 for your enneagram?

hmm possibly. rationale?

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
I like them, I actually prefer simplesty in life. Like not having any piercings or tattoos, I don't over dress I just wear clothes. I just like being me, and have normal traditional thoughts. I enjoy family and friends, a simple dinner.

so why do people try so hard to be different? I want a quiet life, a good life, a dog/cat, friends, internet, and a decent job that's gonna put me in at least middle class.

what are they hiding from?

E6's value traditions and an ordinary lifestyle. A lifestyle like described above would actually depress rather than fulfill me. Maybe it's just because I still have to experience how hard life could be without the support of family and home. However right now I want to live a life without any boundaries of my social circle and responsibilities. My dad was that way before he started to settle down.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't hate tradition, I just hate that tradition is the vehicle that keeps many an irrelevant idea from just dyeing off and making room for new ways. I hate any attitude that tradition is unquestionable. But tradition itself can be good.