• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people hate tradional thoughts and practices?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We live in a very reflexive, potsmodern world, where everything is meta, or a parody or a deconstruction of conventions. There is all kinds of writing out there that basically just pick random things we all tend to accept as true, and attempt to come to a counterintuive conclusion about (Malcolm Gladwell, Chuck Klosterman, Freakanomics, Cracked.com). Even a lot of TV shows (especially cartoons) satirize the conventions of its medium (Simpsons, Family Guy, Community, etc). Traditions and conventions aren't very hip lately, we're a cynical, smart-alecky generation where everything is constantly changing, phones are obsolete by the end of the year, etc.

We'll probably see a comeback of sincerity and tradition soon though, The pendulum is bound to swing the other way.

I personally think traditions are okay, as long as you don't use them to justify thoughtless or inhumane behaviour. It's liek when those big College Sport hazing stories breaks and you hear a bunch of the players protest: but it's a tradition! We've always suffocated weasels by shoving them up freshmen's anuses, we can't stop now :( I think that attitude is harmful.

I hate post modernism. I'd hate to be forced to choose between it and traditionalism.

I'd like to see some sincerity divorced of tradition, thank you.

The pendulum will swing back the other way, unmooring your self from traditional societal structures is fun until you want to do things like grow up and start a family.

It seems to me I've encountered many an old immature person steeped in tradition.

Nobody needs a tradition to have a family.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I believe it often is for NPs.

There are other reasons people behave this way as well (some valid, some not).

Certain types (and groupings) definitely seem to be more knee-jerk reaction against it, tho.
I get the same feeling when people express strong nostalgia, at least people in my age group. I hate the term "90's kid" and get irrationally annoyed whenever people get all gleeful over their favorite Disney movies from childhood.

However, I can talk for hours about my favorite Pokemon games and Cartoon Network shows from when I was a kid, so I'll just chalk it up to projection of inferior Si.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's what this grown person writes. :cheers:

How's trying to be a sociology (or w/e the fuck it is your interested in) professor working out for you?

So far so good.

I would have thought a mature person gives considerate analysis to topics as they arise, rather then foregoing analysis to make inane attempts to needle people.

Would you care to explain your ideas on how tradition is functional in maturing and having a family?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't like when tradition becomes something people feel compelled to "enforce". Having always done something a certain way is a fine reason to continue doing so, as long as its impacts continue to be positive, but it is not a good reason to limit new ideas.

But usually I appreciate tradition because it tends to contain and transmit the meaningful "heart" of things.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I get the same feeling when people express strong nostalgia, at least people in my age group. I hate the term "90's kid" and get irrationally annoyed whenever people get all gleeful over their favorite Disney movies from childhood.

However, I can talk for hours about my favorite Pokemon games and Cartoon Network shows from when I was a kid, so I'll just chalk it up to projection of inferior Si.

Issues around the inferior always seem to be dual-sided.

One side rejection/suppression, one side aspiration/appreciation/desire.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I don't like when tradition becomes something people feel compelled to "enforce". Having always done something a certain way is a fine reason to continue doing so, as long as its impacts continue to be positive, but it is not a good reason to limit new ideas.

But usually I appreciate tradition because it tends to contain and transmit the meaningful "heart" of things.

Well put

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
every single person in this thread missed my point.I'm talking about people who are different just to be different, no other reason

L

LadyLazarus

Because they think that by being overly non-traditional and shunning traditional values they are being open minded but in reality they are just as closed minded as those who practice traditional values. They don't realize that being open minded is being open to both traditional and non-traditional values, not believing in anything non-traditional just for the sake of it and shunning tradition just like those who only believe in traditional values do in regards to non-traditional values.

These sorts of people don't seem to understand that you don't fight what you hate by becoming what you hate.:dry:
Dense is the nicest thing to call them.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Because they want to be special snowflakes, and because they think that by being overly non-traditional and shunning traditional values they are being open minded but in reality they are just as closed minded as those who practice traditional values. They don't realize that being open minded is being open to both conservative and traditional values, not believing in anything non-traditional just for the sake of it and shunning tradition just like those who only believe in traditional values do.

You got it! finally!

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Apple_ThinkDifferent.jpg

Let's all nonconform in the exact same way.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I relate to this sentiment.

I draw from the past when making new things, so part of the past lives on.

yeghor

every single person in this thread missed my point.I'm talking about people who are different just to be different, no other reason

Back in college there were many such people in the Architecture Department... Why would that be?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It's a strategy. Not that people who do it probably think of it that way.

This is all conjecture, but my guess is that in the first place these people did encounter some incompatibility with the field of tradition. Having already encountered one bar to entry, they had make choices about how to deal with this. One approach is to completely anti-conform. I think this has a couple of benefits. I think it is empowering, because it makes it seem like you are not concerned with fitting in and pre-empting rejection. If you've ever seen someone play the clown in order to diffuse potential mockery, you've seen this concept in action. Also, while it is an irony often lost on the people participating, I think the fact that this approach allows for such easy conformity in a separate subcultural group is part of why it is popular. Mere reversal of everything is an easy logic to follow, it's easy for people to do, it is easy to conform to, so it easily creates a coherent group for those who find the traditional conformity unpalatable or inaccessible.

I can understand it to the extent that it's probably better to look like you're striking out and making your own rules, than look like you're pathetically failing at someone else's.

Personally, I think one's ideas of good and bad should relate to conformity. Neither conformity nor anti-conformity should even enter the calculus.

yeghor

because they like architecture.

Perhaps they are first trying to free themselves of the conditioning of the tradition so that they can define their own identity and style... to design innovative things...

And then perhaps when their style settles and stabilizes in time, they may try to integrate tradition more into their lives and styles, some kind of reconciliation...

The reverse may be true for the traditionalists as well...